The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marner's Agent in Contact with Zurich Lions of the Swiss League

6 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Whether the money is one or 11 million, if Marner decides the right route to go is to start the season in Europe that is all that matters. Switzerland has a lot of good things going for it, in addition to a competetive hockey league.

I am not arguing that, but to use the "he is doing it for his family" line is a bit of a joke. I am sure his family can get by with 10mil and not the 11mil he is probably after. It's not about his family at that point it's just greed. And it's his right to be greedy, but I disagree with trying to make him out to be some struggling guy trying to feed his family. 

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am not arguing that, but to use the "he is doing it for his family" line is a bit of a joke. I am sure his family can get by with 10mil and not the 11mil he is probably after. It's not about his family at that point it's just greed. And it's his right to be greedy, but I disagree with trying to make him out to be some struggling guy trying to feed his family. 

Point taken. I would still argue "family" is what it is all about at the end of the day, pro-hockey player or otherwise. Greed is a motivating factor for most people whether we admit it or not. Perhaps that is a conversation for another day. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was so hard to see this coming.

I mean, who would have imagined that caving to Nylander, giving Matthews 11.6, and signing Tavares for 11 million would lead to cap difficulties?

So unforseeable.

Now you're hearing a comical, and post-dated chorus of "trade Marner" 'realism' coming out of Toronto....

You backed yourself into it Dubas/Spamaplan. 

Hard not to enjoy watching Toronto recoil after the insufferable and premature arrogance of the past few years.

I've never bought this much popcorn.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I mean, who would have imagined that caving to Nylander, giving Matthews 11.6, and signing Tavares for 11 million would lead to cap difficulties?

So unforseeable.

Now you're hearing a comical, and post-dated chorus of "trade Marner" 'realism' coming out of Toronto....

Hard not to enjoy watching Toronto recoil after the insufferable and premature arrogance of the past few years.

How JB handles the Boeser contract will determine whether or not Vancouver follows the same path.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So unforseeable.

What Dumbass should be doing is adding whatever pick is necessary to get rid of Nylander.  It still doesn't solve the fact that the only NHL defenseman they have is Muzzin, but it's a definite addition by subtraction.  Instead, they're looking to trade one of their only players who actually tries?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What Dumbass should be doing is adding whatever pick is necessary to get rid of Nylander.  It still doesn't solve the fact that the only NHL defenseman they have is Muzzin, but it's a definite addition by subtraction.  Instead, they're looking to trade one of their only players who actually tries?

Barrie?

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Barrie?

Yup.  He’s good.  I wonder if the Leafs have created problems in their room, because guys like Princess Willie and Dollface Matthews are making insane money (too soon) while really hard working guy who do all the heavy lifting are making peanuts in comparison?  I think Marner is a better player, and more valuable than Matthews.  Marner setting for any amount less than Dollface is going to make for more locker room troubles.  Barrie is only getting 3 mil per.  And what does Muzzin get?  Big troubles in that room for sure.  

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pretty damn awful in his own end.  I know Toronto doesn't seem to care how much of a defensive liability their guys are, but he sure as hell won't change that culture.  He's an NHLer in 1/3 of the rink.

Ok

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

How JB handles the Boeser contract will determine whether or not Vancouver follows the same path.

How JB handled Horvat is a different path already.

Vancouver is not really in a comparable position.

It did not cram it's window into a bottleneck - it did not sign an 11 million free agent - it does not have all it's principal assets tied up in forwards....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It did not cram it's window into a bottleneck - it did not sign an 11 million free agent - it does not have all it's principal assets tied up in forwards....

Do you see BB getting more money that BH?

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't disagree with that, though the Horvat deal was done in a bit of a pre-Petey vacuum.  The Boeser contract is going to set the standard for Petey and Hughes though, similar to how AM's set the standard for WN and MM.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I don't see the future.

It's possible, maybe probable - particularly given the trends set by short-sighted GMs.

But regardless of Boeser's contract - which I personally think should be a bridge in Horvat's range - the Canucks don't and won't have 40 million tied up in 4 forwards while having a hopelessly inadequate blueline coupled with a general lack of drafted defense prospects - those are just not parameters of oversight by this franchse.   Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Tryamkin  - while having affordable veteran workhorses, and good mid range depth like Stecher, Benn, etc = imo pretty much a quite distinctly different set of circumstances than Toronto faces.

This is the advantage of the measured, protracted rething imo - as opposed to the impatient tankdown/teardown that many parts of the base were (imo unrealistically) pining for.   A regular complement of a drafted pool with relatively steady flow of youth really decompresses the kind of problems the Leafs are facing.  For all the hype of the stockpiles, they simply don't have the necessary volume of NHL ready or near ready youth pushing from inside to counteract the lack of cap and lack of viable blueline depth they face.    Horvat at 5.5, Boeser even at 7ish - are not really anywhere near as problematic at 11.6, 11, another 11 for Marner, 7 for Nylander...  I'll take the Canucks pool of young D over Toronto's in a heartbeat - ditto where young goaltending pipeline is concerned - and when you get down to it, I'm not really that convinced that the Leafs shiny forward group will give them that much advantage relative to Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Podkolzin, et al.... Moreover, there is no question in my mind that the Canuck's 'bottom six' is and will be vastly superior to that one the Leafs ice.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

While I agree with your sentiment, I would also include Morgan Reilly in the category of " NHL defencemen"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, riffraff said:

I see BB getting his fair share regardless of BH but JB and FA are looking at the VN and thinking EK’s and BS’s contract is BB money. Unfortunately GB punished VC for RL’s contract. Since AR is starting on IR there’s a bit of CAP there... 

How exciting is it though to have signed JTM, MF, JB & TM. They’re going to complement EP, BH, QH, BB, AG & JV very well.

Thats if JM & TD hold the fort.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think similar.......he's not nearly as valuable to the team as Horvat, but you have to account for some inflation as well.

At most, I see him being a 5.5 mil. player. 

He's a one demensional scorer with average speed and leaves a lot to be desired defensively. 

His on ice deployment reveals he's sheltered with more than 77% of his shifts last season starting in the offensive zone which is bigtime evidence of TG's lack of trust in him.

If not for his 56 pnts last season, I don't even know that he's on the team.

In addition to this, the fact that people keep talking about market value still boggles my mind as he's not on the market. He has no arbitration rights and can't recieve offers.

Only the fact that JB wants to make the playoffs this season gives him any leverage at all but, as I see it, there are still some good fill ins on the ufa board that would love another year in the NHL (Thomas Vanek comes to mind). He provided similar numbers as Boeser during his time here. Could he do it again. 

Sign Vanek, send Boeser's agent a 5.5 x 8, take it or leave it offer.

Sure, his agent will cry foul, saying how JB is playing dirty but, player agents take advantage of loop holes all the time, so I see it as, alls fair in love and war. 

• Upvote 1