The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marner's Agent in Contact with Zurich Lions of the Swiss League

1 hour ago, Mike27 said:

While I agree with your sentiment, I would also include Morgan Reilly in the category of " NHL defencemen"

I wouldn't.  The guy is an absolute trainwreck in his own end.  While he might be able to learn how to play defense, Toronto sure as hell hasn't made it a priority.  As many points as he puts up, you can't have a defenseman who can't play defense on a legit NHL roster.   Rielly makes Pouliot look like a shutdown guy in comparison.  He would probably make a decent enough forward, however.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

38 minutes ago, wiseupsucker said:

my hot take is...Dubass is waiting for an offer sheet on Marner for the four first rounders and take the picks and run

This, actually occurred to me a while ago.

The fact that he hasn't recieved one, weakens his position by the day.

With Nylander hungry to get back to his former output and Kapanen salivating for a top six spot, as GM of the Leafs, I'm not inclined to throw the keys to the bank vault at him either.

This has become a very interesting offseason, in which we could, possibly, see some big names sitting the season out. which could a;so fuel fire to the, ongoing, CBA negotiations.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree with that, though the Horvat deal was done in a bit of a pre-Petey vacuum.  The Boeser contract is going to set the standard for Petey and Hughes though, similar to how AM's set the standard for WN and MM.

Nylander was signed before Matthews. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't.  The guy is an absolute trainwreck in his own end.  While he might be able to learn how to play defense, Toronto sure as hell hasn't made it a priority.  As many points as he puts up, you can't have a defenseman who can't play defense on a legit NHL roster.   Rielly makes Pouliot look like a shutdown guy in comparison.  He would probably make a decent enough forward, however.

MR would go down as the Canucks’ best Dman ever if he were here and you know it. 

The lengths some guys go to crap on rival clubs and players is funny, but that’s about it. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

MR would go down as the Canucks’ best Dman ever if he were here and you know it. 

The lengths some guys go to crap on rival clubs and players is funny, but that’s about it. 

I wouldn't say best, but top 3 or top 5 for sure 

17 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sure, if Green was able to get through to him that he needs to be competent in both ends of the ice, which is doubtful because Babcock hasn't bee able to.  I don't care how many points you put up, if you're as much of a liability in your end as Rielly is, you're hurting the team.  Don't want a culture like Toronto where playing like complete trash in the defensive zone is tolerated, and not holding Rielly accountable for his defense is a big reason that culture's there.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Morgan Reilly is a career big time minus player.  Jake Gardiner, for example, is a career plus while playing harder minutes.  I really like Reilly, but think the Leafs do very poorly without Marner.  

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sure, if Green was able to get through to him that he needs to be competent in both ends of the ice, which is doubtful because Babcock hasn't bee able to.  I don't care how many points you put up, if you're as much of a liability in your end as Rielly is, you're hurting the team.  Don't want a culture like Toronto where playing like complete trash in the defensive zone is tolerated, and not holding Rielly accountable for his defense is a big reason that culture's there.

you are wrong GIF by Anupam Kher

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Reilly, on a top scoring team, is a career minus 46.  I think KH is actually correct.  Reilly needs to sacrifice on the D side of the puck, especially in his own zone.  

He was +24 last year when the Leafs were good. And he racks up PP points. He's nowhere near as bad as King Drama makes him out to be, not even remotely. 

So apparently Marner is going to go play in Switzerland?

How about this for a new rule:

If an organization cannot manage their own payroll and cannot fit such a contract in by a certain date, that player becomes a UFA.

That way, the NHL doesn’t lose superstar players anymore.

There is a difference between a player holding out for more, and an organization that caps itself out and isn’t able to fit a player.

Such a rule would also include the Canucks and Boeser, yes. If the Canucks can’t afford to sign one of their top players because of financial mismanagement and/ or miscalculation, the affected player shouldn’t have to pay for that; the team should.

Edited by Me_

27 minutes ago, Me_ said:

So apparently Marner is going to go play in Switzerland?

How about this for a new rule:

If an organization cannot manage their own payroll and cannot fit such a contract by a certain date, that player should become a UFA.

That way, the NHL doesn’t lose anyone superstar player anymore.

There is a difference between a playing holding out for more, and a team that caps itself and aren’t able to fit a player.

That should include the Canucks and Boeser yes. If the Canucks can’t afford to sign one of their top players because of mismanagement, the player shouldn’t have to pay for that; the team should.

What if a 23 year old RFA simply doesn’t want to play for that organization anymore and decides their number is $14m per year, when in reality they’re more like an $8m per year player, and thereby bully themselves into unrestricted free agent status. 

If people complain about the college senior rule now, they’d lose their minds over this one. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

What if a 23 year old RFA simply doesn’t want to play for that organization anymore and decides their number is $14m per year, when in reality they’re more like an $8m per year player, and thereby bully themselves into unrestricted free agent status. 

If people complain about the college senior rule now, they’d lose their minds over this one. 

A structured, incremental salary grid is the only real option, imo.  As long as they RFA, they can only get x%/year increase on their last contract.

• Cheers 1

What an absolute joke.  

Leafs pundits arguing that Marner has no case for asking for Matthews money or Tavares money.

Hey, he's only the best player on the team under the age of 25....he does literally everything, but Matthews can sorta score goals and he's a centre so he earned it

I hope Marner just bilks that team.  Centers like McDavid, McKinnon and crosby are ultra rare, but the ONLY player on the ice not Lidstrom like who is more important is an ultra intelligent winger who makes literally everyone around them better and scores goals.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marner-doesnt-case-argue-auston-matthews-money/

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I hope Marner just bilks that team.  Centers like McDavid, McKinnon and crosby are ultra rare, but the ONLY player on the ice not Lidstrom like who is more important is an ultra intelligent winger who makes literally everyone around them better and scores goals.

And the thing is, Marner and his agent shouldn’t even have to argue the case that he’s “bilking” the team. The guy is Patrick Kane light, at this point. But still incredibly talented. The fact that his position doesn’t formally say “Center” shouldn’t even be a question coming up in negations from the Leafs. He literally does everything.

And the fact that Toronto didn’t figure out their cap situation by like January to give him the money he deserves is ludicrous.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What an absolute joke.  

Leafs pundits arguing that Marner has no case for asking for Matthews money or Tavares money.

Hey, he's only the best player on the team under the age of 25....he does literally everything, but Matthews can sorta score goals and he's a centre so he earned it

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marner-doesnt-case-argue-auston-matthews-money/

Thing is. Does A Mathews deserve his contract? You could argue they overpaid AM, then Nylander. Now trying to cheap out on Marner. Grab your popcorn and enjoy the show.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

What an absolute joke.  

And plays pk and is out in the last minute, regardless of whether they need a goal, or need to prevent one.  

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Thing is. Does A Mathews deserve his contract? You could argue they overpaid AM, then Nylander. Now trying to cheap out on Marner. Grab your popcorn and enjoy the show.

Matthews stays healthy, he’s 100% worth the AAV, IF it was 7-8 years, not 5. The fact he’s taken to free agency on a shorter deal is the real problem, there.

Honestly, Nylander’s AAV isn’t a problem. Going forward, most forwards will see around $7M per of they’re averaging 60 points per season, on the low end. The problem with Nylander is that the Leafs chose to extend him in the first place and not trade him prior to the draft in 2018. The Leafs don’t need Nylander, because they’re so stacked offensively as it is.

His AAV is fine, it just shouldn’t have been the Leafs that signed that contract. And now that they’re in cap hell, another team will take it on, but not before severely underpaying in the process.