The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Werenski looking at bridge deal

Provost

The reports are saying a 3 year bridge deal is likely in the works for around $5 million.

To me, that would make Boeser's number for a similar term slightly under.  A top end D with size who scores in the 40-50 points range is worth more than a winger who scores in the 50-60 point range.  I said a while back that a Boeser short term deal is around $5 million max, and probably more like $4.5.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-columbus-blue-jackets-rfa-zach-werenski-is-looking-for-three-year-deal-1.1353943

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

From a team's perspective a bridge deal makes the most sense for young stars since it keeps the window to win in the playoffs open a bit longer before they run into cap issues. 3 years at 5 million would be a great deal for Werenski and hopefully Boeser can come in at a fairly similar contract.

• Like 2

3 years makes a lot of sense for a Boeser contract.  It would be a smaller cap hit; it would give him a chance to try to have a couple of healthy seasons; and  it lets us get some veteran money (Eriksson) off the books.

The ideal is a 6-8 year deal, but not if it means a cap hit starting with an 8.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think a bridge deal is good for Boeser from the teams perspective.

Need to lock him up long term like Sakic does with his young star players. 

In 3 yrs he'll be looking for 10mill per year.

I'd rather pay 6.5 or max 7 mill for 7 yrs and balance out the cap hit.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think a bridge deal is good for Boeser from the teams perspective.

Need to lock him up long term like Sakic does with his young star players. 

In 3 yrs he'll be looking for 10mill per year.

I'd rather pay 6.5 or max 7 mill for 7 yrs and balance out the cap hit.

Everyone would like him to sign that dea

except his agent.

Reports are that the ask for a short term 4 year deal is $7 million and pundits are suggesting that a 7-8 year deal would be $8 million plus.

Canucks would never do a 4 year deal.  Imagine BO and Brock becoming UFA's together in the same year?  A bridge deal of 3 years similar to Werenski would be fine, but I think a 6 year deal at $7 million would be the most ideal.  Pettersson is up in 2 years so you then have a gap of those 3 players in terms of when their deals expire as Petey will probably sign long term as well and cash in.  BO signed for 6 years so hopefully Boeser will do the same.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Everyone would like him to sign that dea

except his agent.

Reports are that the ask for a short term 4 year deal is $7 million and pundits are suggesting that a 7-8 year deal would be $8 million plus.

Werensky likely wants to get out of CBJ as fast as he can. Maybe he goes the Trouba route. Signs bridge deal then arbitration cpl times to get him to UFA or CBJ trade him one year before UFA like Trouba in WPG. 

I don't beliieve any reporter or pundit knows exactly what Boesers wants. It's all speculation. 

There is no way Boeser gets more than Timo Meier on a 4 year deal. If he does JB and Aqua failed miserably at negotiations and it's time to hire someone who can negotiate better.  

10mill QO for 5th year option is a big raise but Meier will be worth it and SJS will be at a different place than Canucks in 4 yrs.  SJS will be rebuilding while Canucks will be making a Cup run or two if things go right.  

For Canucks it's better to pay more now and keep cap balanced. 

4yrs @ 5.65 mill = 22.6 mill. 

3yrs @ 8.50 mill =25.50 mill

Total 7 yrs 48.1 mill @ 6.87 mill per year.

Balance the cap hit out 7 yrs @ 6.87 mill and everyone is good. 

Edited by WHL rocks

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm confused.  Timo Meier signed a 4 year deal after playing 3 years and is still an RFA after his 7th year.  Doesn't a player become a UFA after 7 years?  Is that why we are talking about a 4 year deal for Brock?

His first year didn’t count as he wasn’t on the roster a minimum 40 games.

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ah I see.  So same applies for Brock then.  So a 4 year deal is probably what's on the table then.  

The reports (for what they are worth) say his agent’s ask is $7 million per on a 4 year term.

We have to avoid a 4 or 5 year term As that removes all our leverage in the next negotiation and doesn’t buy any years of club control.

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

The reports (for what they are worth) say his agent’s ask is $7 million per on a 4 year term.

We have to avoid a 4 or 5 year term As that removes all our leverage in the next negotiation and doesn’t buy any years of club control.

Yeah I agree.  A 4 year term would be suicidal given the fact that all leverage would be lost for the next deal.  Also, BO, Miller and Ferland will all be UFA's that year so Benning will have to deal with ALOT of contracts to go along with Boeser's.  Either they find common ground on a 3 year deal which is one year after Pettersson's deal, or they do a 6 year term and give him more money.  I'd rather the 6 year deal now as you don't want to have to re-negotiate Boeser's contract after Pettersson signs his next deal.

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

He hasn't been as healthy as or productive as Nylander even....why does he deserve $7 million?

If he's getting $7 million it better be an 8 year deal 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Provost said:

His first year didn’t count as he wasn’t on the roster a minimum 40 games.

so then how is he seriously a comparable to brock who was runner up for the calder ???

there is a statement out there by brock's agent

along the lines of they are demanding a certain aav figure, but are willing to sign for any term the nucks want

the difficulty for the canucks is do they truly believe enough in brock remaining healthy to committing to long term

things did not work out so well for loui

and no one else has signed for more then 5 years since

so i can see how brock wants as much security as he can get

and the nucks wondering is it is better to sign him shorter even if it means ultimately paying him more

if he truly becomes what everyone believes he is trending towards

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He hasn't been as healthy as or productive as Nylander even....why does he deserve $7 million?

If he's getting $7 million it better be an 8 year deal 

I agree but I think $7.25M would be a fair compromise from both sides on a 7 or 8 year deal. If Benning can get it done for less, props to him but it's been an odd year in free agency and RFAs are on the rise. It's a coin flip though. 3 x $5M and then 7/8 x $9-10M isn't a bad idea either. Does Brock wanna bet on himself? He's got the linemates to do it. You never know what might happen though? It's hard to turn down a guaranteed $50M just cuz you MIGHT be able to get $70-80M if everything goes right for you. Take the money Brock.

41 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so then how is he seriously a comparable to brock who was runner up for the calder ???

there is a statement out there by brock's agent

along the lines of they are demanding a certain aav figure, but are willing to sign for any term the nucks want

the difficulty for the canucks is do they truly believe enough in brock remaining healthy to committing to long term

things did not work out so well for loui

and no one else has signed for more then 5 years since

so i can see how brock wants as much security as he can get

and the nucks wondering is it is better to sign him shorter even if it means ultimately paying him more

if he truly becomes what everyone believes he is trending towards

BO signed a 6 year deal the year after we signed Eriksson...

• Cheers 1