The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Woman Faces Lifetime Ban After Getting Caught with CBD Oil at U.S. Border

nucklehead

U.S. border protection has barred a young Canadian woman from crossing the border after cannabidiol (CBD) oil was found in her backpack — a non-psychoactive product of the cannabis plant she uses to treat the painful side effects of scoliosis.

The woman, who has asked not to be identified by CBC News pending the outcome of an application for reentry, is the latest Canadian to face border troubles after Canada legalized cannabis last year...

Pulled over for a secondary check at the Blaine, Washington crossing last weekend, the woman said she was asked by border patrol officers if she had any "leafy greens" on her person. The officer did not say the word "cannabis," she said.

"I said no because, to me, 'leafy greens' is like marijuana, the actual bud, things that you smoke, recreational drugs. I use CBD daily and it's not psychoactive, it can't get me high at the dosage that I've been told to take it at," she told CBC News.

A search of her possessions turned up a bottle of CBD oil — something she thought was perfectly legal to carry over the border, considering such products are legal in both British Columbia and Washington state.

"I didn't think anything of it. I just always have it on me because I take it daily and because of his wording, 'leafy greens,' I didn't fully understand that I needed to declare it," she said. A simple oversight en route to a friend's cabin could result in a lifetime ban on entering the United States for this woman, said immigration lawyer Len Saunders.

55 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

I really don't see why these types of stories keep making the news.  Federal level, illegal.  Nothing new.

Further proof that pot heads are stupid?

I wouldn't classify her as a stereotypical "pot head"

She uses CBD oil for medicinal purposes and it doesn't have psychotropic effects.

That being said, I also don't understand why some people have a hard time realizing that possession of anything related to marijuana will result in a lifetime ban and refused entry. You have to be really ignorant and living under a rock.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Medicine shouldn't be illegal, should it?

It shouldn't, but it takes society and especially the government a while to get with the times...

There are some people being prescribed heroin now, but I hope they would know that just because they have a prescription for medical heroin, that doesn't mean they can take it with them across the border or into another country.

• Upvote 2

Let's just face it,why the hell would anybody want to go to that $&!# hole country in the first place.Too many mass shooting and too little brains for their greedy politicians.

The law is what it is,plain stupid and people in pain should have a means of eliminating this pain,but big pharma has gotten so many people hooked on legal drugs and like I said,THE LAW IS JUST PLAIN STUPID.

The drug war is over but the stupid americans who started half of it doesn't want to give up so many jobs for their police,cia fbi.dea etc. etc. etc.plain and simple.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, xereau said:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Whom defines whether or not it is unjust?  Countries have the right to place rules on citizens of other countries to have the privilege to enter their country.  No one except American’s have the right to enter America.  Follow the rules, if you don’t like them, don’t go.   Even if America legalizes cannabis, they can still ban it at the borders.  You can’t bring lemons across the border, so don’t be shocked about cannabis.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, xereau said:

this is kind of the problem. People use it as a medicine but its not recognized as such from a border pov,  its not considered anything other than a drug whatever form it comes in when you cross the border. People also seem to forget that you're not in Canada anymore. 

It wasn't the smartest thing to do, thats for sure. Hard lesson for a young person, but the border guys will love the attention. 

9 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

I really don't see why these types of stories keep making the news.  Federal level, illegal.  Nothing new.

Think of it as a public service announcement, a reminder for others that might make the same mistake.

It's like how the news reports on other not-really-news things, such as school zones being in effect because school is back.

12 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Further proof that pot heads are stupid?

I actually agree.  If you don’t know the rules regarding crossing borders You shouldn’t be travelling or deal with the consequences.  

No

Edited by riffraff

I know several potheads who use oil as well. 

Not sure I’d be so quick to be calling anybody stupid in here, just if you plan to break the law, no matter how stupid some may think that law is. 

Like getting caught illegally crossing the border with your kids, bad things are going to happen to you and them, because that’s the law.