The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Between The Pipes

Rate this topic

VIC_CITY

Goaltending is a big question mark, still.

Markstrom has not done anything yet, really, other than have some great stretches of games.

He also went on two 11 game losing streaks last year too.

Biiiiig questions in net, in fact, I think its the lynchpin of this whole season.

I highly doubt Demko is traded too.

Benning picked up depth because it was needed, not because something at the NHL level is imminent.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

With the acquisitions of Dipietro, Kielly and now Silovs, I think one could draw the conclusion that Canucks management are preparing to move on from Demko.

Maybe Markstrom is getting ready to move on from the Canucks.  And maybe the Canucks are getting stocked up, just in case.

• Upvote 1

Markstrom will be 30 next season. So any extension would be starting at age 30.5. the term he would be asking for would a huge question. I wouldn't want to go over 4 years. (34.5 years upon completion).

Demko has lots to prove still but he is 6 years younger which is considerable. I think DiPietro's AHL progress next season may play a factor. I think he's going to be very good in Utica once he gets situated after a month or two.

I'm curious what there plans are. The goal could be to try and get Marky to sign to a reasonable cap hit on shorter term. Demko is inked up for two more years. We can probably keep markstrom and demko for two more years if we wanted too. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe Markstrom is getting ready to move on from the Canucks.  And maybe the Canucks are getting stocked up, just in case.

I would love us to have Demko and DiPietro both up here one day soon. Two phenomenal young tenders!

Might turn into a Halak / Price scenario like the Habs had. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

I wouldn't read too much in to it. I do hope Demko and Marky get to play to their best. Ride the hot goalie imo.

If we feel confident on Demko come trade deadline we can move Marky (assuming he plays .918 + ) he could fetch us a nice return

You could be right. Demko would provide a cheaper cap hit for a few years  But the mid-season trade market for soon to be UFA goaltenders (Markstrom) is not a good one. Markstrom is also a leader on this team. So I can't see us trading him if he repeats last season.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Maybe Markstrom is getting ready to move on from the Canucks.  And maybe the Canucks are getting stocked up, just in 

Canucks: Congratulations on being awarded team MVP, we've always believed you'd be a starting goalie one day!

Markstrom: Gimme dat Bobrovsky money or i'm OUT.

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Goaltending is a big question mark, still.

Markstrom has not done anything yet, really, other than have some great stretches of games.

He also went on two 11 game losing streaks last year too.

Biiiiig questions in net, in fact, I think its the lynchpin of this whole season.

I highly doubt Demko is traded too.

Benning picked up depth because it was needed, not because something at the NHL level is imminent.

So if Markstrom has another stellar year and Demko takes another step forward in his development, what do you do? Trade Markstrom for a decent return, trade Demko for a better return or go into the expansion draft with one of them unprotected.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I would love us to have Demko and DiPietro both up here one day soon. Two phenomenal young tenders!

Might turn into a Halak / Price scenario like the Habs had. 

LOL, Less than 2 months ago drafted, In the 6th round, no less, Now the next Ken Dryden...  :wub::lol::wub:

• Wat 1

It all depends on how Marky and Demko play this year. We may re-sign Marky for a year or two and trade him before the ED, or he may play lights out this year and demand too much money that we can't afford and he walks, which JB mentioned in his long interview. Like some others, I don't think something is imminent until after the season is played out and we have a better idea. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The OP could be on to something - I also highly doubt we trade Markstrom if he’s posting plus .920 numbers and we are winning often with him net.  Of the two I also doubt Markstrom gets us a number one even if he’s done this - too many goalies have had a great year or two and then been average at best and none of those guys get traded for much. Demko on the other hand has way more appeal - as long as he’s also got decent numbers and could get us a first.  Said it a few days ago that the only way we are getting a first is if we traded a core player or a highly touted prospect...I suggested Miller as a joke.   This scenario could actually happen - and maybe it is Markstrom but like the OP suggests playoffs are the goal and who gives us a better chance to win now and the next couple years?   It’s been a while since we had two good goalies...MD stock has slipped a little but he’s still a good prospect - and like I’ve already said it’s not hard or expensive to get a back-up look at ours from last year one played great for CAR and the other (for those paying attention) some experts think has a decent chance of getting his first chance as a starter...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, the harry said:

the new directive is to have competition at every position and every level, that's all.

and i like it.

It's not a new directive, he has always wanted competition at every level, but according to Benning in the Presidents Day interview, he finally has it

Signed an 18 year old 6th round draft pick goalie. Clearly means we are going to trade Demko. Lol. Kielly was undrafted and put up lesser numbers in College compared to Demko. Maybe, just maybe. These goalies were signed as organizational depth and not to replace Demko. We went from being in love with backups to being in love with 3rd and 4th string goalies. Can we not?

• Upvote 2

its hard to say @VIC_CITY but what I do like is they seem to be getting ready for it. Goalies are so hard to predict that it sure doesn't hurt to have a lot of them around. 

Nothings going to happen immediately tho, Mikey hasn't proved himself even at the AHL level, the other guys are development prospects. 

I could see Demko being the guy we keep - or at least not expose to Seattle - tho, mostly for cap reasons if he has a breakout season and Marky can't repeat his performance. Its going to be an interesting year in net thats for sure. 

• Cheers 2