The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Between The Pipes

Rate this topic

VIC_CITY

On 8/25/2019 at 6:16 AM, IBatch said:

How is Markstrom wanting to test free agency (not liking JBs offer or otherwise) “descending into fantasy?”  It happens too frequently to be considered that - and with Demko getting his chances and all things being equal we might let him walk anyways (two guys making starter money rarely works cap wise).   This entire thread is supposition - if that’s fantasy then guilty as charged - find me a spaceship and I will go look for EPs biological father. 

Tbh, I wasn't being all that serious.

At times this entire board feels like one big ongoing "what if" conversation of things that haven't happened, could happen, may happen, etc.

At least you added a spaceship to your last post! ;)

• Cheers 2

I could see a real possibility that Demko does get traded, but it won't until after the upcoming season ends whenever that may be. This year is basically to determine whether Markstrom has it or not. It's also to try and up Demko's value to as high as it can be. The other factor is also to see how the goalies in our system perform and whether they make the decision easier or not. McIntyre looks like he would be the most immediate backup replacement should something happen sooner than later, but Keilly would be the next most quickly developed young goalie in the system. DiPietro needs a few years and Silovs/Thiessen is the backup plan to that should DiPietro falter. At least that's how I see the depth as it is now.

If Markstrom falters, then we simply carry on with Demko and maybe sign a veteran next year to backup Demko. If Markstrom performs well, then Demko will be shopped and likely a lowly/middling team will interested assuming goaltending had failed them once again.

The succession plan seemed to always be that Demko would take over for Markstrom, but Markstrom found a new level to his game at the 2nd half of last season (that needs to be shown as consistent) and with the expansion draft looming, there will be questions that lie ahead. They will need to calculate who may be exposed and determine if they can take the hit or not. Other teams are going to be concerned about taking guys that they will need to protect as well, so we will also have to see if the trade value is there.

A lot of questions that need to be answered, so it's going to be difficult to see a goaltender trade made until at least the next offseason. If Markstrom gets re-signed beyond a one year deal, I think the writing will be on the wall for Demko, but that too may not happen until after this coming season is up.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Tbh, I wasn't being all that serious.

At times this entire board feels like one big ongoing "what if" conversation of things that haven't happened, could happen, may happen, etc.

At least you added a spaceship to your last post! ;)

You bet, it comes with the time of year...just not enough variety of subjects.    Soon enough things will improve..

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

LI could see a real possibility that Demko does get traded, but it won't until after the upcoming season ends whenever that may be. This year is basically to determine whether Markstrom has it or not. It's also to try and up Demko's value to as high as it can be. The other factor is also to see how the goalies in our system perform and whether they make the decision easier or not. McIntyre looks like he would be the most immediate backup replacement should something happen sooner than later, but Keilly would be the next most quickly developed young goalie in the system. DiPietro needs a few years and Silovs/Thiessen is the backup plan to that should DiPietro falter. At least that's how I see the depth as it is now.

If Markstrom falters, then we simply carry on with Demko and maybe sign a veteran next year to backup Demko. If Markstrom performs well, then Demko will be shopped and likely a lowly/middling team will interested assuming goaltending had failed them once again.

The succession plan seemed to always be that Demko would take over for Markstrom, but Markstrom found a new level to his game at the 2nd half of last season (that needs to be shown as consistent) and with the expansion draft looming, there will be questions that lie ahead. They will need to calculate who may be exposed and determine if they can take the hit or not. Other teams are going to be concerned about taking guys that they will need to protect as well, so we will also have to see if the trade value is there.

A lot of questions that need to be answered, so it's going to be difficult to see a goaltender trade made until at least the next offseason. If Markstrom gets re-signed beyond a one year deal, I think the writing will be on the wall for Demko, but that too may not happen until after this coming season is up.

Too many variables but one that I think is being overlooked is the fact Markstrom is not the best option for Seattle - that’s going to be Holtby.  WSH will re-sign him but just like a few years ago with Gibson and Vasilevsky - Samnsonov is their goalie of the future - considered the best goalie prospect or one of them in the world, a few pegs up from Demko actually.  They will definitely protect him and leave Holtby exposed, a former Vezina winner and three time finalist - Stanley Cup winner just like MAF, he’s the consensus pick in all the draft simulations so far by the experts.   It’s highly likely Markstrom will be passed on and they will pick other goalies to be their back-up, especially with the salary Holtby will end up with.   This only works if WSH keeps him as their sacrificial lamb which they most likely will given they have other good options available.

JB definitely knows this - and will keep it into consideration with Markstroms next contract - our succession planning is still Demko.   I’m pretty sure that the team won’t offer much more then three year, if he wants more Markstrom will probably get traded before the deadline or we risk losing him for nothing.   EDM and CAL would definitely like a crack at him as would a few other teams that don’t have ideal or very good goalie situations.   My guess is we sign him for 5 million and three years, and Seattle takes on someone else entirely.  

Quick is next up in the list then Markstrom and a few others. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, Alflives said:

I could definitely see a scenario where Marky is traded before the deadline.  Demko IMO is going to take the starter role.  We trade Marky for a pick (not getting a first) and bring in an experienced backup for Demko. 

See above post.  This is the likely scenario.  Unless Markstrom is willing to sign a three year or less contract he won’t likely get signed.   He’s not going to be the best number one option available or at least the most proven one, and I can’t see Seattle taking a goalie from our division all things being equal (teams are more familiar with his tendencies, especially Vancouver if it’s Markstrom and LA if it’s Quick). I agree with the experts that Holtby will be their best option.  Salary won’t matter much other then trying to get to the league minimum - and we won’t be signing Markstrom long term no matter what he does.  It’s far more likely that this is Marksroms last season with us or he’s signed and they pick someone else entirely then any of the other conjectures in this thread.   Man summer is dragging on...

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Too many variables but one that I think is being overlooked is the fact Markstrom is not the best option for Seattle - that’s going to be Holtby.  WSH will re-sign him but just like a few years ago with Gibson and Vasilevsky - Samnsonov is their goalie of the future - considered the best goalie prospect or one of them in the world, a few pegs up from Demko actually.  They will definitely protect him and leave Holtby exposed, a former Vezina winner and three time finalist - Stanley Cup winner just like MAF, he’s the consensus pick in all the draft simulations so far by the experts.   It’s highly likely Markstrom will be passed on and they will pick other goalies to be their back-up, especially with the salary Holtby will end up with.   This only works if WSH keeps him as their sacrificial lamb which they most likely will given they have other good options available.

JB definitely knows this - and will keep it into consideration with Markstroms next contract - our succession planning is still Demko.   I’m pretty sure that the team won’t offer much more then three year, if he wants more Markstrom will probably get traded before the deadline or we risk losing him for nothing.   EDM and CAL would definitely like a crack at him as would a few other teams that don’t have ideal or very good goalie situations.   My guess is we sign him for 5 million and three years, and Seattle takes on someone else entirely.  

Quick is next up in the list then Markstrom and a few others. 

Why does Holtby sign with Washington only to be a sacrificial lamb after only another season? He has the opportunity to hit UFA and choose his team of choice or go after the big bucks which Washington won't be able to offer. It's a gamble for Washington to because if they do lock him up and he has a poor year, then they are "stuck" with him as they try and get Samsonov playing time. If their goal is to keep Samsonov then they are in a similar situation to us and simply don't know how Samsonov will fare at the NHL level with regular duties. If Holtby hits UFA, whichever team signs him will protect him most likely, then he's off the list.

Quick has not put up great numbers lately and will turn 35 in that expansion season. Highly doubt he would be above Markstrom.

If somehow Holtby does become available for expansion, then sure, but that's just another factor that will have to play out after this season which is another reason why if there is to be a Demko trade, it won't be until the upcoming offseason. Not sure how comfortable Markstrom would be re-signing and being left exposed though either, so he may be looking for assurances.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet, it comes with the time of year...just not enough variety of subjects.    Soon enough things will improve..

Definitely! Could be worse problems to have. It's still a problem though. Like you, I do think the OP could be onto something, especially with Demko's contract ending before the expansion draft, but there are still way to many variables.

We still have this season and 20-21. So much can happen. At least that gets DiPietro into the pipeline.

Ultimately I think JB values experience in the net. Especially if we're in the thick of a playoff spot. And I do think Markstrom is just hitting the best years of his career. I'd say he's got a 3 to 4-year window at the very max. 

But it really is going to come down to performance this season. 

• Cheers 1