The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rescind on a Car Purchase

On 8/25/2019 at 3:51 PM, Magikal said:

Truthfully though, just do research online prior to coming down. The internet has brought transparency to the industry. Make no mistake about it the biggest problem for a client buying a car is THEMSELVES. Clients lie 50 times for every time they find a sales person who lies once. Not that anyone should be lying, but clients are much worse than sales people when it comes to being dishonest. Then there are those who have commitment issues to the point where they never do commit to a purchase but are forever unhappy.

Research cars that meet your needs and budget. Go to a store once you have a general idea and it's simply down to test drives and final figures. Be honest with your sales person and you will almost always have a greater experience than if you have your back up, withhold information pertinent to your deal and lie about anything up to and including commitment to purchase. Clients who have poor experiences in today's world are almost always to blame and it's because of their poor attitudes and deceptive buying practices. 

ALSO: Do not ask for a "best price", especially over email. First of all you probably won't get a figure and if you do it most certainly isn't the best price. Go into the store like an adult, present a committed offer to the dealer and get your car. Your presence in the store and commitment are the best bullets in your chamber to get what you want. Otherwise no one takes you seriously and will not give you adequate service......and to be frank, if you try buy cars that way, you don't deserve a good experience.

I always loved the cocky guys that ask for the best price for a used car 15 seconds after getting on the lot.

You're not even going to drive it and make sure it is worth an offer? If I give you this “best price” are you going to buy it on the spot without even looking at accident/service history? Then you tell me you're educated and too smart to get screwed by a dealer. 

Honestly at dealerships I worked for people with that attitude got hosed the most and smugly walked away thinking they got a great deal more often than not. Or they're offers were so ridiculous they left mad cause they couldn't get a $35,000 car for $21,000 cause of their “smooth” negotiating skills. 

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I wanted to be loyal to my dealership where I bought my vehicle. However, the cost for a simple oil and filter change was nearly triple of the body shop that I liked near me. I couldn't really justify the price difference. There was an aside that location-wise, the dealership had nothing around and would take hours to get the job done (again for an oil change with a booked appointment, but they booked everyone at the same time and it became first come first serve basically) while the bodyshop was right next to a bunch of amenities that made time go by faster and they were done much quicker anyway than the dealership for service. In my opinion aside from all this, I would've basically paid that extra amount into the service that even if they "rewarded" me, it was simply due to me paying for it (or most of it) up front as it is so I can't really say it's a "reward". I did have a problem recently and my warranty was up like a couple of months prior and they played the warranty card. Now maybe it's because I had stopped servicing the vehicle there, but I don't know if they would've given me the benefit of the doubt otherwise and pushed things through anyway. The problem actually fixed itself (so I'm not complaining), but who knows what they would've charged me although there was going to be a fee just to look at the vehicle had I brought it in.

Other dealerships that I've been told do little things like offer a free car wash with service or have annual gifts (small things like a snowbrush or whatever). It's little things, but better than nothing.

Anyway, just curious if I'm missing something here where maybe I should have stuck with the dealership for service. It was a Jeep also btw. Perhaps if I wanted to buy a vehicle again from them in the future, it may help me as well, but at the same time, I don't think I'll be purchasing again from there anyway. I like the vehicle, just haven't appreciated the service or felt like they would've rewarded loyalty anyway.

This sucks hearing that you had this kind of experience at what is supposed to be a professional dealership. It is absolutely no secret that you pay a premium for anything at a dealership but with that being said there is supposed to be justifiable reasons behind that.

You're supposed to have a great and comfortable experience whether that's a really nice waiting area, a free car wash and vacuuming included, maybe a snack..... The sky is really the limit it's just up to the creativity of the dealer and how they truly value you as a client. You also pay for the fact that you are dealing with professional Red Seal mechanics as opposed to some seventeen-year-old at Jiffy Lube who barely knows the difference between spark plugs and glow plugs.

I can't really answer your question unbiasedly about sticking with that dealership because you are talking with someone who, whether they sold Ford or not, absolutely despises anything Dodge, Ram, Jeep or Chrysler. I find them to be very subpar products and the company does not have safety in mind when designing their vehicles. I am sure there are some that would strongly disagree with me but those are my beliefs and I feel strongly about them.

Edited by Magikal
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I always loved the cocky guys that ask for the best price for a used car 15 seconds after getting on the lot.

You're not even going to drive it and make sure it is worth an offer? If I give you this “best price” are you going to buy it on the spot without even looking at accident/service history? Then you tell me you're educated and too smart to get screwed by a dealer. 

Honestly at dealerships I worked for people with that attitude got hosed the most and smugly walked away thinking they got a great deal more often than not. Or they're offers were so ridiculous they left mad cause they couldn't get a $35,000 car for $21,000 cause of their “smooth” negotiating skills. 

We have a saying in the industry: those who pay more are always happier and it really is true. Do they maybe spend a few hundred to $1,000 more than the guy that kicks screams and cries until he beats the dealership in to borderline submission? Yes yes he does. But there is a true difference in experience between those two types of clients. This type of client is the type dealerships get excited about servicing because it's truly an enjoyable experience for both parties. This is the type of client that gets the goodies and the extras and bumped to the front of the line for service because they respect the employee Justice we respect the client.

I have no shame in admitting that if you walk into my store treating me like a criminal or some type of jerk that is lower than you I will do everything in my power to get every dollar out of your wallet and I will not make any strides to provide you with exceptional service. You get what you pay for at my store.

Also it's become very clear to me over the years that the type of people that need to nickel and dimed dealerships to no end are the type of people who are simply Never Satisfied no matter what the outcome. They are the type of people who have to find something to cry and moan about because it's the only thing they know how to do and I feel bad for these people but I refuse to allow myself or my staff to be walked on by them. They are very small and weak people and that is why they have to act this way. They are the same type of people who berate an employee at McDonald's because their order took an extra 30 seconds or the fries were an overflowing in their take out bag.

Edited by Magikal
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Magikal said:

This sucks hearing that you had this kind of experience at what is supposed to be a professional dealership. It is absolutely no secret that you pay a premium for anything at a dealership but with that being said there is supposed to be justifiable reasons behind that.

You're supposed to have a great and comfortable experience whether that's a really nice waiting area, a free car wash and vacuuming included, maybe a snack..... The sky is really the limit it's just up to the creativity of the dealer and how they truly value you as a client. You also pay for the fact that you are dealing with professional Red Seal mechanics as opposed to some seventeen-year-old at Jiffy Lube who barely knows the difference between spark plugs and glow plugs.

I can't really answer your question unbiasedly about sticking with that dealership because you are talking with someone who, whether they sold Ford or not, absolutely despises anything Dodge, Ram, Jeep or Chrysler. I find them to be very subpar products and the company does not have safety in mind when designing their vehicles. I am sure there are some that would strongly disagree with me but those are my beliefs and I feel strongly about them.

Fair enough. If there were any sort of perks to justify the premium in cost, I would certainly go even if it's not quite of "value". I could easily wash the car myself, but if it could be done with the service, I would really appreciate that and would understand the longer wait time. Vacuuming would be great too.

Unfortunately nothing was included, waiting area was small and only a few magazines, but hey there was free crappy coffee (which I don't drink anyway). The shop that I go to isn't the typical jiffy lube type chain and I have reason to believe that they're not simply hiring anyone off the street to get the job done, but that's not to say they don't have trainees on rare occasions that may take a bit longer, but at least the location helps the time fly. The mechanics may be better at the dealership in that they would be more trained on the vehicles sold, but I'm not sold that they're required to pay a premium for an oil change, but perhaps if it's a high end vehicle.

I definitely am not planning on sticking with the dealership and will hope to simply ride out this vehicle as long as possible before it becomes too much of a money pit. I'm just hoping it lasts long enough that I feel like I got decent value. Service beyond the purchase of the vehicle is what will keep me coming back and they certainly don't seem to value their customers.

They're very good at calling and sending me letters about whether or not I want to trade in my vehicle like a year or two after I bought it though and calling me about their promotions to buy a new vehicle. Not annoying at all!

22 hours ago, Magikal said:

1. Warranties always cost less than 1 major repair

2. If it's manufacturer warranty why is there a deductible? Is that a Honda thing?

3.You are asking a guy who makes a living off of warranties etc if you should buy one. My opinion is beyond biased. 

Right. The Civic deck was acting "funny" so they replaced it free of charge for me. That cost $4,000. But I was looking at my previous car and despite it being 10 years old and having it for 10 years, few of the repairs over those years would've been covered by the warranty I am considering now. The majority of jobs were oil, brakes, rotors which are not covered. What would've been covered by the warranty came nowhere near the cost of the warranty which is why they say that most people who pay for warranties never get their money out of it. Hence why they are sold. Pros and cons, I know, but for that reason I am leaning away from getting it. 

I was wrong about the deductible. That applies only to after market parts. 

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry bruh... :blush:

Seems to be hit and miss. This car has 60,000KM on it and service records don't show any major repairs in that regard. So it's probably fine. It's also certified so unless they want to pay out the ass for these problems for the next 5 years, I doubt they would certify it. 

But now I am strongly considering the extended warranty again. God damnit.. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Seems to be hit and miss. This car has 60,000KM on it and service records don't show any major repairs in that regard. So it's probably fine. It's also certified so unless they want to pay out the ass for these problems for the next 5 years, I doubt they would certify it. 

But now I am strongly considering the extended warranty again. God damnit.. 

What are they wanting to charge you for the EW?

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What are they wanting to charge you for the EW?

I think 1500 for the three years. But the guy tried to bull$&!# me saying that the system is recognizing the used car as a new car and wanted me to pay full price for the warranty and I was like LOL no. Draw it up by hand if you have to.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I think 1500 for the three years. But the guy tried to bull$&!# me saying that the system is recognizing the used car as a new car and wanted me to pay full price for the warranty and I was like LOL no. Draw it up by hand if you have to.

I wouldn't give them more than ~$500 personally.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

I wouldn't give them more than ~$500 personally.

They negotiate on that sort of thing? I tried. Short of saying: I don't give a $&!# - I'll walk out right now over that documentation fee - they weren't going to budge. I've heard everyone else say they won't budge either. But they might have been like - see ya.

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They negotiate on that sort of thing? I tried. Short of saying: I don't give a $&!# - I'll walk out right now over that documentation fee - they weren't going to budge. I've heard everyone else say they won't budge either. But they might have been like - see ya.

EVERYTHING is negotiable. Most EW's aren't even used and are pure gravy for dealers. They can make ~$500 of gravy or nothing... up to them.

If it's $1500 you're likely FAR better off investing that money at something around 5% interest for 5 years and keeping it around 'in case' of any problems.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

EVERYTHING is negotiable. Most EW's aren't even used and are pure gravy for dealers. They can make ~$500 of gravy or nothing... up to them.

If it's $1500 you're likely FAR better off investing that money at something around 5% interest for 5 years and keeping it around 'in case' of any problems.

I'll negotiate. I was inclined to walk away to begin with. Then you mentioned these issues which I'm not sure the EW even covers. I've asked my mechanic but he hasn't responded yet. 

20 hours ago, Violator said:

I have a 4x2 served me pretty well over the years didnt wanna pay extra for insurance or repairs.

It wouldn’t make it too half the places I need to go and would probably strand me at the end of a 20 hr shift in February when it decides to snow 2 more feet lol

Mechanic said he wasn't aware of the oil dilution problem but after reading about it that you are covered by the powertrain for 5 years - those additional affected components are covered for 6 years, including software updates. He said that he has numerous customers with this car and has not had to deal with any of those problems. 

On 8/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Magikal said:

Agreed. A customer first dealership is a way different experience. At the bmw dealership I use for all my servicing, they always provide a loaner car (usually the new M series) even if it’s just for half a day. There’s free water bottles and snacks, free tablets with wifi to use, very comfortable seating area and a tv. 

And if they for some reason don’t have a loaner for you, they’ll drive you back home or to work and pick you up when they’re done. 

The old Honda dealership I used to go to in south surrey it was pretty much “k we’ll have the car done in 6 hours Um there’s week old stale cookies on that counter and if you need to get to work there’s a taxi number at the front and a bus stop down the road”

Honda is only willing to sell me an EW at the price of a new car - for a used car. This is almost $2,000. When we contested this, obviously, we were told the system automatically does this and there is nothing they can do from their end at the dealership. So presumably they're selling warranties priced for brand new cars for all used cars with less than 100,000KM. Then I tried to negotiate price - again "nothing we can do." I would love to get the commission he said, but there's nothing they can do regarding price. I suggested winter tires at a discount, but again, same old story..

Aside from calling big Honda themselves and getting them to bend on this..

I'm going to pass on the EW especially now. When I look at the maintenance records of my Prelude for the last 10 years, almost nothing of this EW would've covered the repair costs for my Prelude. The majority of jobs were brakes, rotors, oil, wear and tear items. .

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

53 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Called Honda Plus - they don't do the warranties. It's the individual dealerships lmao. 

Gonna call the manager directly and be like, WTF.

I don't buy used but aren't extended warranties a 3rd party all together? And from what I'm reading it's a major scam, EW.