The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Goldobin Russian interview

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Nice interview.

Every time I hear Goldobin reflect on his place on the team I gain a little more respect for him.  Even if it hasn’t always translated on the ice, he seems to get it.

Not sure where he fits in with our current group but I wish him the best!

I'm rootin' for him as well, but my slight concern with the interview is it kind of seems like he doesn't see a spot for himself on the team after this summer's signings. I hope his confidence hasn't been shattered too much and he starts to take the I'll-play-so-hard-that-I'll-force-my-way-onto-the-team approach. 

• Cheers 1

we all want goldie to be an nhl player. problem is, he'll shows glimpses of what he could be, but then he loses focus and all you see is his defensive liabilities. he frustrated me with his passes going to the other team’s players. the question remains, can he over come his weaknesses, develop consistency in his offensive game and develop chemistry with line mates. 

if he can play with petey, then brock should be moved to second line, so they can move some toughness on that first line. i still believe each line needs a scorer, playmaker and a mucker. daniel..scorer, henrik..playmaker, burrows..mucker.  gradin..smyl..fraser...2 great lines.

• Upvote 3

I wish him luck.  Who knows, he could be a surprise player this year.  Benning said that Goldy is perhaps the 2nd most talented player in terms of raw skill on the team so they're going to persist with him (I thought he was done myself).  They say he's lost weight this year and is faster, quicker than last year.

I don't think it's that he makes mistakes.  But the issue to me is if he turns the puck over, he often does it in vulnerable areas like within 5 feet of the blue line in the offensive zone when all his team mates are in the zone already and we get odd man rushes coming against the Canucks.   He's a high risk, high reward kind of player.  Everybody can see that and he needs playing partners who can think the game as well as him.  He's also more of a play maker.  He needs to realize that it's 100% up to him to be making the right plays.  If it's not working out, at least get the puck deep in the o-zone.  

I like that he's having weekly 1 on 1 talks with Green.  He is really good that way.  Every player needs to be motivated and instructed in a way that they will respond in a positive way.  It's all about getting better as a team.  Goldy is ready for a break out and working with better players is only going to help him imo.

6 hours ago, Pears said:

Goldy still has huge potential imo. I think if you want to get him going, stick him with Pettersson and Boeser for 80-85% of the season. 

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Ferland

Pearson - Sutter - Virtanen/Baertschi

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

That top six oozes offensive potential. 

Sorry, that line will never get out of their own end.

• Upvote 2

" If I scored 30 goals per season, the club would turn a blind eye to everything else, to defensive actions or some other disadvantages.”

I see what he's saying here , but a comment like this doesn't bode well for him. It sounds like he still doesn't understand that playing well defensively and contributing offensively will keep him in the NHL. Rather... if I score enough goals i can abandon defensive responsibilities.

He's not close to Bure who could get away with this, more like a Mason Raymond who had the offensive talent but still put the effort in on the back check.

All said he would be one of our most gifted players in our group as long as his lack of effort isn't costing us goals.

I hope he comes in making intelligent decisions on the ice, keeps moving his legs and makes it a tough decision for the coach.

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

After Petey, I feel Goldy is the next best offensively creative/gifted forward.  We are short of players with his kind of talent, we need him to be better.

Really hope he can put it together, because he is such a likable person, and has the individual skill to be a game breaking talent.  If his work ethic can match his skill, he would be a factor each game.

I heard Benning say the same thing.  Goldy sounds like a really good kid, who is dedicated to hockey.  I can see why the Canucks like him too, and want to keep him.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I like Goldy.

He wants to be here. Takes his lumps.

he's been committed to north american hockey for his entire career to date as well, 2 years in the OHL, tons of AHL time in SJ and Utica, and his time here. He is putting in his dues unlike some other guys his age that expect more sooner or have opted for KHL time. 

Someones got to get moved somewhere somehow tho (Baer?) for him to even have a realistic shot at 3rd line time.

I suppose something like Miller-Bo-Goldy could be really intriguing tho, Goldy hss shown he can be a great passer along with that shot so that might be something good there. Thats really the only spot I see for him on the top 6, he's not going to displace Ferland on LW with Petey or take Boeser's spot.

Maybe something like this if Goldy is in the plans?

Ferland-EP40-Boeser

Miller-Bo-Goldy

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo 

Motte 

• Like 1

Before i go on let me say I like this kid. He seems to have a great personality and just a likability about him and I truly want him to be a good NHL player.He has skills and it truly is frustrating to see his lapses undermine his success.

He isnt far off when he says if he scored 30 goals people would look the other way on his gaffes. We did it with Henrik and Daniel for years,they out scored their defensive miscues but they don't give out 7 million dollar contracts to nice guys. Its a results driven league. You produce or you don't play.

When JB went out and traded for Miller and signed Ferland the players that were hurt most by that were Goldobin and Leivo.There are others that it will affect but these two had a place on the team that was basically taken away. Leivo could potentially play third or fourth line but Goldobin doesn't fit that bill as he said in his interview.

Goldy has one option and that is to score and score regularly. If he doesn't produce he isn't of a lot of value to the team and then his gaffes really become noticeable. The bad pass onto the other teams stick in flight going against us. The drop pass that is left for the opposition while our players are thinking offense. The lack of hustle coming back into our end.It becomes a shooting gallery for the media and fans alike to rip his play.

He can skate, can shoot although not accurately enough, and seems to think the offensive game well. He like Jake V has to prove their worth to the coaching staff and show their improvement. Both have a skill set that makes them drool. Whether they will ever get to the point where they are the go to guy remains to be seen. I agree that Goldy may take time to develop further. He could very easily be like a Naslund that doesn't get it until he is 25. The issue here is that if that is the case it will have to be on another team because we currently have better options in our top 6 than we had last season.

The fact that he communicates with Green regularly is a good sign he may yet develop. He just might not have a spot in the lineup here before he does.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, nuck-lifer said:

" If I scored 30 goals per season, the club would turn a blind eye to everything else, to defensive actions or some other disadvantages.”

I see what he's saying here , but a comment like this doesn't bode well for him. It sounds like he still doesn't understand that playing well defensively and contributing offensively will keep him in the NHL. Rather... if I score enough goals i can abandon defensive responsibilities.

He's not close to Bure who could get away with this, more like a Mason Raymond who had the offensive talent but still put the effort in on the back check.

All said he would be one of our most gifted players in our group as long as his lack of effort isn't costing us goals.

I hope he comes in making intelligent decisions on the ice, keeps moving his legs and makes it a tough decision for the coach.

That stuck out to me too.  No team is going to turn a blind eye to defensive deficiencies like he shows, no matter how many goals he scores.

Truthfully, I don't think it's even about the defensive side of it for him.  It's about consistency.........he needs to find consistency in his game if he wants to be an NHL player.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's been committed to north american hockey for his entire career to date as well, 2 years in the OHL, tons of AHL time in SJ and Utica, and his time here. He is putting in his dues unlike some other guys his age that expect more sooner or have opted for KHL time. 

Someones got to get moved somewhere somehow tho (Baer?) for him to even have a realistic shot at 3rd line time.

I suppose something like Miller-Bo-Goldy could be really intriguing tho, Goldy hss shown he can be a great passer along with that shot so that might be something good there. Thats really the only spot I see for him on the top 6, he's not going to displace Ferland on LW with Petey or take Boeser's spot.

Ferland-EP40-Boeser

Miller-Bo-Goldy

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo 

Motte 

There's certainly a lot to like about the kid. Great attitude, and he's arguably our most skilled forward not named Pettersson. The boy just needs to up his compete/puck pursuit and consistency! While those things will certainly help his defensive (and offensive for that matter) game, it's not necessarily that the coaches want to make him better 'defensively' (though not giving away the puck in high danger areas wouldn't be bad either :lol: ).

And yeah, I don't see him on a line with Pettersson either. He's not likely going to displace Miller/Ferland or Boeser there. But imagine the embarrassment of riches we'd have if he does in fact earn a top 6 spot...:shock::towel:

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ferland-EP40-Boeser

Miller-Bo-Goldy

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo 

Motte 

Agreed, it's him or Baer, but not both.

• Upvote 1

This all sounds pretty true.  He didn’t burn anyone by throwing blame around.

If he scores 30 goals certainly no one is going to be putting him in the press box for defensive shortcomings.  He needs to get to 10 goals first....

He scored stunningly few goals for someone who is a goal scorer and not a playmaker... and played a lot of prime minutes.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

If he scores 30 goals certainly no one is going to be putting him in the press box for defensive shortcomings.  He needs to get to 10 goals first....

He scored stunningly few goals for someone who is a goal scorer and not a playmaker... and played a lot of prime minutes.

I kind of see Goldy as a playmaker.  I’m excited to see him playing at 15 pounds lighter.  

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's certainly a lot to like about the kid. Great attitude, and he's arguably our most skilled forward not named Pettersson. The boy just needs to up his compete/puck pursuit and consistency! While those things will certainly help his defensive (and offensive for that matter) game, it's not necessarily that the coaches want to make him better 'defensively' (though not giving away the puck in high danger areas wouldn't be bad either :lol: ).

And yeah, I don't see him on a line with Pettersson either. He's not likely going to displace Miller/Ferland or Boeser there. But imagine the embarrassment of riches we'd have if he does in fact earn a top 6 spot...:shock::towel:

its that coveted spot with Bo coming up again :lol:  

the guy I really see having a hard time getting any top 6 time is Leivo. Just on skill alone if its a somehow tie in camp between these guys you have to go with Goldy imo. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

he does kind of explain that tho, he seemed a little gun shy to shoot and make mistakes - only 105 shots last year but a decent shooting % at 6.7. He was on pace for 35-40 pts too at under 15 min per night. 

I disagree that he isn't a "playmaker" he rattled off some impressive passes last year and was just fine working with other skilled players. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its that coveted spot with Bo coming up again :lol:  

the guy I really see having a hard time getting any top 6 time is Leivo. Just on skill alone if its a somehow tie in camp between these guys you have to go with Goldy imo. 

I'd be pretty surprised to see Leivo in the top 6, Goldy or otherwise (at least without a trade).

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Ferland, Pearson, Baer is already 7 guys clearly ahead of him in that pecking order and that's without possible longer shots of Goldobin or Virtanen outplaying him as well.