The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Goldobin Russian interview

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

Good honest interview and it sounds like Green believes in him but needs consistency (like Virtanen). He is going to have to chase the puck and take it away to do that....he just can't be the player that waits for someone to pass him the puck. he could learn a lot from Brock Boeser or Petey….they go get the puck.

If he can do that, he will be hard to keep off the ice.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I absolutely agree that there may not be a spot for him.

He might feel defeated, but the team needs to tell him there -will- be opportunities. We will inevitably get injured and that will be his time to shine if he can. 

I really like this guy and hope for both he and our team that he can find his game.

35 minutes ago, kloubek said:

He might feel defeated, but the team needs to tell him there -will- be opportunities. We will inevitably get injured and that will be his time to shine if he can. 

I really like this guy and hope for both he and our team that he can find his game.

I'm not the nitty gritty contract type, but does he, or will he, have to clear waivers if he doesn't make the team? I guess we probably don't know since he hasn't signed yet. 

The team has done all they can at this point. He knows clear as day what he needs to do to make the team; it's just going to come down to whether or not he listened and will fight hard enough to make it and not be defeated. The puck is on his stick now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

One thing I liked about Pat Quinn was players weren't afraid like that. 

He was the opposite to green 

Anyone remember when Lumme came  to the canucks?

He was the worst turnover machine in the history of the NHL. But PQ keep throwing him out there to get him to play through it. 

Lumme ......one of my all time favorites. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s hard to foresee how (if) he fits into the lineup this season but anything can happen I guess.  

I think Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser and Miller-Horvat-Pearson will likely be where Green starts but any of Ferland, Miller and Pearson could end up on the 3rd line at some point.  

Then there’s the chance that sometime this season either Miller or an improved Gaudette ends up playing C and we could end up with a look rolling 3 scoring lines.. or Bo’s line goes back to matchup duty or whatever.  

Of course, even with some serious shifts Goldy is competing with Baer and Virtanen or even Leivo and Rousell (who was scoring at a great pace last year.  Should be an interesting camp / season!

Yep, Goldobin is going to need one hell of a camp to solidify a spot. As is our top six looks like:

Miller - Horvat - Pearson

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

He's not cracking that. Then our bottom 6 comprised of match-up guys and PKers:

Baertschi (Roussel) - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Leivo

That still leaves Eriksson, Schaller and then Goldobin. At least one for Utica assignment.  Cull is expecting a vet or two:

EDKurcYUcAAqlT3?format=jpg&name=small

So maybe Goldy earns 13F, but that's probably the best he can manage right now without significant injuries.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm not the nitty gritty contract type, but does he, or will he, have to clear waivers if he doesn't make the team? I guess we probably don't know since he hasn't signed yet. 

The team has done all they can at this point. He knows clear as day what he needs to do to make the team; it's just going to come down to whether or not he listened and will fight hard enough to make it and not be defeated. The puck is on his stick now. 

He was waiver eligible last year already.  It's based on ELC signing age and the earliest between a number of pro-years and number of NHL games played. 

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Yep, Goldobin is going to need one hell of a camp to solidify a spot. As is our top six looks like:

Miller - Horvat - Pearson

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

He's not cracking that. Then our bottom 6 comprised of match-up guys and PKers:

Baertschi (Roussel) - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Leivo

That still leaves Eriksson, Schaller and then Goldobin. At least one for Utica assignment.  Cull is expecting a vet or two:

EDKurcYUcAAqlT3?format=jpg&name=small

So maybe Goldy earns 13F, but that's probably the best he can manage right now without significant injuries.

Cull is likely referring to the likes of Gaudette, Goldobin etc as well/as much as any 'vets'.

7 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I like Goldy, but I dont like how he thinks Petety gets more rope than he does because he produces more.  I really hope thats not his mindset going into the season

I got that sense too. Petey is so obviously a 200ft player, so hopefully Goldie doesn't think how it sounded.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Loui

I honestly don't see how he makes the roster without injuries opening up spots. We're not waiving Leivo or Motte to keep him up barring some miraculous comeback/those guys crapping the bed.

And if Goldy actually earns a spot, it only knocks him further down the pecking order :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, smithers joe said:

we all want goldie to be an nhl player. problem is, he'll shows glimpses of what he could be, but then he loses focus and all you see is his defensive liabilities. he frustrated me with his passes going to the other team’s players. the question remains, can he over come his weaknesses, develop consistency in his offensive game and develop chemistry with line mates. 

if he can play with petey, then brock should be moved to second line, so they can move some toughness on that first line. i still believe each line needs a scorer, playmaker and a mucker. daniel..scorer, henrik..playmaker, burrows..mucker.  gradin..smyl..fraser...2 great lines.

Maybe Goldy should play with Bo and Ferland/Pearson. Never really understood why he didn’t get a look with Bo who is very responsible defensively. 

Love this honest interview and makes me like him more. I especially loved the pokes at the media:

“They come up and they ask the same thing every time. I’m telling them, what else can I say? I answer the same way.”

“But sometimes they write that I’m not ready for the NHL yet. Well, these people are not serious experts ... They don’t understand much in hockey

i can picture the exact interviews and the same stupid questions about “how do you feel about not being in the lineup?” And “do you think you have a place on the team, what do you need to do to get back in?”  He sums it up pretty well when he calls them out. Funny stuff. And he knows fans are much different which was good to hear. 

Goldy should set his sights on a 40point season while being defensively effective.

I don’t think that’s an unrealistic ask of him so he should get a final chance to prove it and take the next step in his development. 

But it if he doesn’t receive a contract It wouldn’t be bad to beef up the defence more by signing Hutton.  

16 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

One thing I liked about Pat Quinn was players weren't afraid like that. 

He was the opposite to green 

Anyone remember when Lumme came  to the canucks?

He was the worst turnover machine in the history of the NHL. But PQ keep throwing him out there to get him to play and coached him through it. 

Lumme ......one of my all time favorites. 

Fixed that for you. Quinn wouldn't have kept throwing him out there if he didn't respond to his coaching and improve his play. The criticism of Goldy is virtually identical to the initial coaching criticism of Baertsci: not battling hard enough along the boards, not going to the net, and a half-hearted defensive effort. Baer went through the same thing: demotions, benched, and a healthy scratch. Baer responded to coaching and became a regular, Goldy hasn't really. He still wants to play the offensive perimeter game he likes to play and let others do the hard work. Not even the mighty Quinn would put up with that long term.