The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Media take stupid Pills?

Rate this topic

dpn1

Well, it's interesting how the initial question is framed - Does Media Take Stupid Pills?

This is a great opportunity to look at it from a different angle. 

The question is rooted in an assumption that on average the media is not stupid and therefore must take a pill to become stupid.

I see this type of thing all the time on social media with responses like, "OMG, news outlets are becoming so biased and one sided!" Or things like, "Wow, society is becoming so divided!"

I always feel like asking people, "If things are still in the "becoming" stage, how would you know when things ARE that way? What does THAT look like?"

The reality is ... things ARE that way now and well past becoming!

Apply that to the media and ... ;)

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 9:30 AM, mpt said:

He’s likely of Russian heritage with that last name

It is a possibility. For me, I am a Canadian-Texan American. Really consider myself as Texan now having lived down here for 20 years. But I will be honest, it is hard to listen to the Vancouver media.

Edited by jmfaminoff

I think more then anything whatever the media does is relatively good or bad depending on the eye of the beholder and how much that person would agree on it.  Not all the news is click bait, shocking or Eastern Biased, there is quite a bit around that is starting to take what JB has done in a positive light.

Matt Larkin doubled down on his recent prediction that the Canucks are the next team that hasn’t won a cup to win one, by stating the Canucks will make the playoffs this year too - in the current THN magazine - which also has Quin Hughes on the cover - first time for him joining EP and Boeser as guys they deemed worthy the last two years (how many times a player makes their cover is considered a thing among certain circles).  Of course his brother was on it too...

However they also had a good Brock Boeser article choosing him to introduce this years top 25 by position for R wingers, he ranked 8th just below Rantenan and ahead of Kessel, Pavelski, Meir, Laine and at 22 Nylander ...  lofty company - they are certainly not sleeping on him (note to JB stop waiting and sign this guy already). 

EP also made the list under centers at 17...not to shabby after one season of play.  

The good news is available if you look for it, obviously Button of TSN also thinks highly of both JB and the team he’s assembled...thinks we are a playoff team now and are going places.

Perhaps we haven’t had the best shake especially during the last two final runs - in 94 the media wanted NYR to win that much was certain, and in 2011 quite a bit of our own country was more behind Boston then us too.  We also brought a bit of this on ourselves with the riots but the second one was absolutely not fans rather people wanting to cause trouble....

That said things are turning a corner, most legitimate media sources consider us as a team that definitely has a shot at a wild card spot even if they predict we will fall short acknowledge at least that.   And the Miller trade works for us either way - we miss this year we keep our pick, which will only help further our cause later, if we don’t miss then our guys get invaluable playoff experience - to me a win win. 

As a whole the media seems tentative to throw in their entire support like Button and Larkin have - and it’s hard not to blame them given the mess we’ve waded through the last five years - somehow it looks like we’ve come out of it thanks to EP, Boeser, Horvat and both Markstrom and Demko...and other pieces still coming in.   Personally I think you have to go for it at some point and am glad JB did - otherwise we’d keep waddling around like EDM did for years, and we won’t have a top heavy team rather a balanced one.   Next year I expect the media will start coming around - especially after we make the playoffs and do some damage.

On 9/4/2019 at 12:26 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, it's interesting how the initial question is framed - Does Media Take Stupid Pills?

This is a great opportunity to look at it from a different angle. 

The question is rooted in an assumption that on average the media is not stupid and therefore must take a pill to become stupid.

I see this type of thing all the time on social media with responses like, "OMG, news outlets are becoming so biased and one sided!" Or things like, "Wow, society is becoming so divided!"

I always feel like asking people, "If things are still in the "becoming" stage, how would you know when things ARE that way? What does THAT look like?"

The reality is ... things ARE that way now and well past becoming!

Apply that to the media and ... ;)

Meez thinks you have some experience in philosophy?