The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should canucks hire a english/russian speaking assistant coach ?

Rate this topic

Nurnge

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha everyone is focused on the op mentioning assistant coach but he also says bring in Russian free agents, Ufas I agree bring some in. If you look back on the Sedins time they had nazzy here and other swedes along the way...wasn't that the reason Matt Sundin came to Van? And isn't that why van is known for a great spot for Swedish players? I think it helps prospects having someone there to help them adjust to North America. 

Thank you . You said it way better than I did 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It sets a tone. 

Players coming to a team with a rider of requirements.

We don't appear to be having difficulty attracting prospects at the moment.  And the ones that will only come "if"?  Don't need 'em.

I think the question now and then is...………..do you want him here? Or any other Russian, or Finn, or Swede etc.

The GM and Coaches job is to give and put the player in the best possible position to succeed....it really does not come down to anything else

Theat means making sure the agent has made arrangements for the player to be in shape, knows English, and has the right equipment at all times

After all, the Canucks are a business...…...

This is no different than any other business ensuring that there is an interpreter there if the person coming from another country doesn't speak English.

and that does not absolve the other company from ensuring that who they send can speak English...……….it works both ways

But basically, IMO, Benning needs to be progressive on this...…….and every issue...…...if he likes his job.

I hire my managers to succeed, not to fail

Edited by janisahockeynut

On 8/31/2019 at 12:23 PM, Nurnge said:

With the Canucks apparent reversal in Drafting top quality Russians . Are there things to make the Canucks a more friendly destination for Russian players . With Glody if he sticks and the return of Tryamkin and the arrival of Podkolzin would a Russian free agent or two in the next couple years be worth more to this group now ? Is hiring a English/Russian speaking assistant coach an asset . What makes some other teams Russia Friendly ? 

This is another reason why keeping Goldobin in the system may be a good thing.  You don't hire a coach for three players and have the rest of the team hear Russian.  A team has to all speak the same language.  Goldobin right now is a key to helping out Poldkolzin and welcoming back the tree trunk.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just make sure the guy has google translate  on his iphone.... all good then...  much cheaper as well...

All he needs to really know in English is a few phrases....

Pass me the f..... ing puck.

I am open... pass me the f... ing puck

Do you want to drop the f...ing gloves and go with me.... ?

Who on the team wants to go for f... ing beers with me tonight..... ?

How do i ask a hot young lady here in Vancouver if she wants to come back to my pad in Yaletown later tonight to watch  Netflix with me.... ?

Great post. Great avatar.

• Wat 1

There’s nothing wrong with providing players from Europe resources to help them both learn English and to acclimate themselves into the country/city.   That’s easily arranged.

Part of that responsibility comes down to the teams leadership group itself.  The Clark Philly team always went out to a restaurant after home games - and it wasn’t optional - the players did that and it’s well documented how close that team became and that was a big part of it.  Every team and the NHL itself hated them at one point or another, a lot worse then our team has ever been hated by a long shot.  Vancouver even charged their players after a particularly violent game.

Could you imagine that happening in today’s  game and if it did what sort of bond that would help create? It’s virtually unheard or (teams going out collectively after every game).   Potvin (AKA Dad - that’s what they nicknamed him) grabbed Trottier after his first game and said “your French and coming with us “ and took him to a francophone bar with some of his French teammates - even though he couldn’t speak it.  They created a bond that lasts a lifetime - feel like they are each other’s real brothers (Trottier quotes on what type of leader Potvin was).  

A big part of being a Captain is to make everyone do things together and to welcome everyone and to hold them accountable to each other - if that’s occurring then any new player coming in from any country will feel more welcome, and accountable too.   Make it personal.    Put him with a vet on road games - not the low hanging fruit Russian or Swede...Help the newbies with any language barrier but also pair him with a vet some of the time.   The team doesn’t need cliques within it - you want players to cross barriers and get out of their comfort zones.   Sure it helps if they have someone to speak to in their native tongue - especially at the beginning.   But no personal decisions (NG) should be made just to accommodate anyone.  If Horvat is to be our next Captain I hope he’s willing to put the time in required to make this a team - and to enforce team meals as well as getting the guys to support each other on and off the ice.  The better the leadership group on the team - the less likely we have another Tree incident.  Wonder if he would have left if every home game the team went out - and didn’t take out their devices. I highly doubt it.   Communication is key and any disgruntlements would work themselves out organically, most wouldn’t require any sort of air time with a coach or a GM either - the players themselves talk about it amongst themselves - 

I also gaurantee that the team would have a hyped up pack mentality.  No way anyone would stay on the sidelines if any team member was getting bullied or hammered - and Tree would be in there like a dirty shirt if anyone hurt one of his mates.  

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just make sure the guy has google translate  on his iphone.... all good then...  much cheaper as well...

All he needs to really know in English is a few phrases....

Pass me the f..... ing puck.

I am open... pass me the f... ing puck

Do you want to drop the f...ing gloves and go with me.... ?

Who on the team wants to go for f... ing beers with me tonight..... ?

How do i ask a hot young lady here in Vancouver if she wants to come back to my pad in Yaletown later tonight to watch  Netflix with me.... ?

LOL at Google translate.  I worked with Turkish people so, in order to keep up with them I'd try.

They'd say something like:  would you like to come for dinner on Saturday.

Google translate:  Duck onion dance window to carrot sleepless.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There’s nothing wrong with providing players from Europe resources to help them both learn English and to acclimate themselves into the country/city.   That’s easily arranged.

Part of that responsibility comes down to the teams leadership group itself.  The Clark Philly team always went out to a restaurant after home games - and it wasn’t optional - the players did that and it’s well documented how close that team became and that was a big part of it.  Every team and the NHL itself hated them at one point or another, a lot worse then our team has ever been hated by a long shot.  Vancouver even charged their players after a particularly violent game.

Could you imagine that happening in today’s  game and if it did what sort of bond that would help create? It’s virtually unheard or (teams going out collectively after every game).   Potvin (AKA Dad - that’s what they nicknamed him) grabbed Trottier after his first game and said “your French and coming with us “ and took him to a francophone bar with some of his French teammates - even though he couldn’t speak it.  They created a bond that lasts a lifetime - feel like they are each other’s real brothers (Trottier quotes on what type of leader Potvin was).  

A big part of being a Captain is to make everyone do things together and to welcome everyone and to hold them accountable to each other - if that’s occurring then any new player coming in from any country will feel more welcome, and accountable too.   Make it personal.    Put him with a vet on road games - not the low hanging fruit Russian or Swede...Help the newbies with any language barrier but also pair him with a vet some of the time.   The team doesn’t need cliques within it - you want players to cross barriers and get out of their comfort zones.   Sure it helps if they have someone to speak to in their native tongue - especially at the beginning.   But no personal decisions (NG) should be made just to accommodate anyone.  If Horvat is to be our next Captain I hope he’s willing to put the time in required to make this a team - and to enforce team meals as well as getting the guys to support each other on and off the ice.  The better the leadership group on the team - the less likely we have another Tree incident.  Wonder if he would have left if every home game the team went out - and didn’t take out their devices. I highly doubt it.   Communication is key and any disgruntlements would work themselves out organically, most wouldn’t require any sort of air time with a coach or a GM either - the players themselves talk about it amongst themselves - 

I also gaurantee that the team would have a hyped up pack mentality.  No way anyone would stay on the sidelines if any team member was getting bullied or hammered - and Tree would be in there like a dirty shirt if anyone hurt one of his mates.  

That was sort of my point - that it's more of a team thing and, in order to fit in, it's best to allow it to happen organically than hire someone specifically for a guy.  To speak to him in his language so he doesn't have to learn - I think that's more alienating and dividing than anything.  

Inclusive not exclusive.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Isn't this entire thread common sense in terms of foreign language players needing help when they come to the NHL? I mean, there's responsibility on both sides, team and player. 

"Common sense" and "entire thread" somehow in the same sentence yet they go together like Burkie and fedor fedorov.

• Haha 1