The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Williams Stepping Away From Hockey

Rate this topic

-DLC-

33 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

19,038 in attendance with standing room for the playoffs. PNC seating capacity is 18,680. Attendance picked up as the season went on and Season Ticket retention is over 90%. 

It’s taken some time but with steady ownership with Dundon we're finally seeing the team in Raleigh show they deserve an NHL franchise. 

Lol, you're killing me. Based on my experience and for the love of the game.

I had a girlfriend in Chapel Hill and visited there often,CH is less than hour from Raleigh. Basketball Univeristies ( Tobacco Road ) NC, Duke and NC State at Raleigh are the big schools with Wake Forest about an hour away THAT are everything in sports!!!....That was less than 10 years ago, go up less than 8 hour drive to Washington DC that's truly a hockey mad town by comparison - great market!

Even Florida this coming season in the second half of the year if they are in playoff contention it's likely they will FINALLY have some sell outs - does that make them a hockey market?

Three teams in the league that should be considered for relocation would be Florida, Carolina and Arizona with one of the two in the east going to Quebec City imo...

:)

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 6string said:

Lol, you're killing me. Based on my experience and for the love of the game.

I had a girlfriend in Chapel Hill and visited there often,CH is less than hour from Raleigh. Basketball Univeristies ( Tobacco Road ) NC, Duke and NC State at Raleigh are the big schools with Wake Forest about an hour away THAT are everything in sports!!!....That was less than 10 years ago, go up less than 8 hour drive to Washington DC that's truly a hockey mad town by comparison - great market!

Even Florida this coming season in the second half of the year if they are in playoff contention it's likely they will FINALLY have some sell outs - does that make them a hockey market?

Three teams in the league that should be considered for relocation would be Florida, Carolina and Arizona with one of the two in the east going to Quebec City imo...

:)

Never said Raleigh is a hockey mad town... Just said with stable ownership and a solid direction they finally have something to grow on.

Everyone including them knew 06 was a fluke where all the cards lined up and the team and ownership unraveled from there. 

With a decent owner with a solid vision they have earned a chance to really make it work in Raleigh. 

Zero disagreement with you on Florida, I'm not 100% sold on Arizona working even with a new arena in Phoenix, but they're not moving anytime soon imo. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I guess Marchand got in his head.

He had a great career and I always had a lot of respect for him. Wish him all the best.

Would be a disgrace if Marchand is the (or one of) reason that he's stepping away from the game. That play where he hooked Williams up high and the refs making such a weak call against Williams would've frustrated me as well though.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Would be a disgrace if Marchand is the (or one of) reason that he's stepping away from the game. That play where he hooked Williams up high and the refs making such a weak call against Williams would've frustrated me as well though.

Marchand is really a slap in the face to hockey...he shows such a disrespect for the game with his antics.

Sure, he's a good hockey player but that is shadowed by the cocky, dirty other stuff that he brings.  You'd think the guy would mature and develop a little self awareness.  Even IF the way he plays is effective...it's disgraceful at times.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Marchand is really a slap in the face to hockey...he shows such a disrespect for the game with his antics.

Sure, he's a good hockey player but that is shadowed by the cocky, dirty other stuff that he brings.  You'd think the guy would mature and develop a little self awareness.  Even IF the way he plays is effective...it's disgraceful at times.

The problem is it works and the league allows it to work (and seemingly protects him), so there is no reason for him to change at all. It is a wonder when you see super nice guys like Baertschi taking cheap shots behind the play giving him concussions that could potentially end his career and yet guys like Marchand don't seem to be at the end of many of these dirty plays themselves often enough. Not that I condone those actions, but if players are willing to make the dumb dirty plays like that, then why not on someone that has no respect for you or your team whatsoever?

19 hours ago, 6string said:

Two fave celebrations on the ice for me that come to mind....Tiger Williams riding his stick from centre ice to the goal line in Maple Leaf Gardens - love it to this day. The classic Alex Burrows Bow n Arrow saluting his lost friend and teammate is an all time heart breaker....

I love celebrations but choreograghy/staging completey loses me....

BTW who watches the Canes anyways, their own fans hardly showed up since 2006 SC championship.

Got a 10 minute misconduct for that one in my day, lol

• Haha 1

I thought he would play out his last year with the Canes but hey can’t assume anything in life. Wonder who will be captain this season in Carolina. At 37 years old I’m not sure if he will be back, has won several cups and a kickass nickname. All the best J Williams if it’s a break or a solid career. 

235E2888-FEAD-4826-B36F-4C9CF3C6F5F4.gif

Edited by EP Phone Home