The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck the Crow MIA

nucklehead

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, some get it some don't.

As an animal lover, I'ved followed this story closely as I've been a fan for some time.

The crow is federally protected and has become quite a deal here in Vancouver.  

Crows are super intelligent...I "had" one at work and we had floor to ceiling windows...he'd "knock" on the window with his beak to get my attention.  People at work couldn't believe it.  I had a coworker who was a real ass...he was giving us all grief as he was failing to adequately do his job and it was falling onto others to clean up his messes.  The crow was in the parking lot as he was leaving and we were having a discussion....it was getting heated, as he was trying to slither away (from his responsibilities) and I needed some answers from him.  He got in his truck and took off.

Next time he was in, we couldn't believe it.  As he left, my crow was on the overhang over the front door and dropped a rock on his head.  It was awesome.  If others hadn't witnessed it they'd likely never believe me.

They have great facial recognition and can also perform tasks beyond one dimensional thinking stuff.  Like making a tool out of a coat hanger to retrieve food out of a tube.

Shawn (his friend who's missing him) has developed a connection with this bird (his mate and his babies) over time.  Sometimes I prefer animals over people so I totally get it.

I'm not denying they can be intelligent animals, lots of animals can be intelligent but doesn't mean they should be a pet especially when they're wild.

So if a rat in Vancouver (Marchand jokes coming) decided one day to be like this crow and not be afraid of humans, I guess Vancouver would make him their new pet as well.... 

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm not denying they can be intelligent animals, lots of animals can be intelligent but doesn't mean they should be a pet especially when they're wild.

So if a rat in Vancouver (Marchand jokes coming) decided one day to be like this crow and not be afraid of humans, I guess Vancouver would make him their new pet as well.... 

Maybe the rat self-identifies as a crow.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

People do have rats as pets (mind you, domesticated ones).

Do you have a dog or cat?  Have you ever?  What makes that different?  There are wild and feral types of those animals too...they weren't born domesticated, they became that way.  

I am not advocating crows as pets (and this one has been outdoors/wild...but befriended).    But who/why do we get to choose some over others?  Some have pet pigs.  Rabbits.   :)

I see nothing wrong with someone caring about a wild animal just as some do their "pets".    I look out for the feral bunnies out there.....sure, most end up as road kill.  Doesn't mean I have to just accept that as their fate and not care.

Different personalities, that's all.        

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think he first got famous for stealing a knife from a crime scene.

Crows are super smart and this one likes to mess with the humans.

Yeah saw that one to, but again if it was a rat instead doing this would people feel the same way they do for the crow... It's a wild crow that can carry a disease do people just forget about this stuff all of a sudden because he made the news...

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So what determines, for you, what "should be" a pet?

Cats are fickle as hell and we keep their poop in a box in our homes.  Dogs sometimes eat theirs and roll in it.  (Love both...have had pets my entire life...but that extended to geese, ducks, etc. too).

Again...I'm not of the opinion that you should bring crows in and keep them as "pets".   I'm fully against that insanity.  But to treat and even appreciate them as more than an annoyance?  Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So what determines, for you, what "should be" a pet?

Cats are fickle as hell and we keep their poop in a box in our homes.  Dogs sometimes eat theirs and roll in it.  (Love both...have had pets my entire life...but that extended to geese, ducks, etc. too).

Again...I'm not of the opinion that you should bring crows in and keep them as "pets".   I'm fully against that insanity.  But to treat and even appreciate them as more than an annoyance?  Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

So you would be okay with a wild rat hanging out with you will you eat your meal because he became popular for some antics he pulled? I highly doubt you would feel the same for the rat as you do for this crow.

I'm also pretty sure they have said for years in Vancouver DON'T FEED THE WILD BIRDS FOR A REASON.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People do have rats as pets (mind you, domesticated ones).

Do you have a dog or cat?  Have you ever?  What makes that different?  There are wild and feral types of those animals too...they weren't born domesticated, they became that way.  

I am not advocating crows as pets (and this one has been outdoors/wild...but befriended).    But who/why do we get to choose some over others?  Some have pet pigs.  Rabbits.   :)

I see nothing wrong with someone caring about a wild animal just as some do their "pets".    I look out for the feral bunnies out there.....sure, most end up as road kill.  Doesn't mean I have to just accept that as their fate and not care.

Different personalities, that's all.        

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question here, domesticated ones is the key word here, not wild. I didn't pick up a stray cat in the alley and take it home...

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah saw that one to, but again if it was a rat instead doing this would people feel the same way they do for the crow... It's a wild crow that can carry a disease do people just forget about this stuff all of a sudden because he made the news...

If  a rat was smart enough to  do this stuff, I'd hire him as my chef and call him Rataouille.

I hear ya though, rats aren't very loved by the humans. Canuck wouldn't get the attention if he was vermin. 

It's not really news worthy but some people enjoy a break from the regular doom and gloom headlines. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If  a rat was smart enough to  do this stuff, I'd hire him as my chef and call him Rataouille.

I hear ya though, rats aren't very loved by the humans. Canuck wouldn't get the attention if he was vermin. 

It's not really news worthy but some people enjoy a break from the regular doom and gloom headlines. 

Well of course because they can carry diseases, just like a crow can, we shouldn't be ignoring that just because one got some attention.

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm pretty sure you answered your own question here, domesticated ones is the key word here, not wild. I didn't pick up a stray cat in the alley and take it home...

Seriously?

If you've ever gone to the pound to adopt a cat, chances are they could have been.

It's ok to not get or even support this deal with Canuck.   But it's also ok TO understand and feel a sense of sadness.  It seems that's a widespread sentiment and, again, people have different personality types.  Some have empathy for all living creatures, wild/tame/feral/whatever.  And that's what this is about.  Dead or not...some will be saddened.

My Dad's a hardcore hunter...has been his entire life.  But we had a pair of geese waaaay back when.  They mate for life.  They'd been wounded/couldn't fly and ended up taking over our yard ... Dad dug a pond for them and they were "pets". 

After a couple of years, raccoons got into their space one night and killed the female (Snowy <3).  Charlie, her mate, was devastated...Dad said he showed signs of fighting, hard, himself.   He still gets sad talking/thinking about it.  It's more complex than you think.   It's about vulnerability and respect and so many other things for me.  Not just category A (wild) or B (not).

If you see a wounded animal that's struggling..do .you stop to assess "wild/not" and then decide if you feel sad?  I don't.  

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well of course because they can carry diseases, just like a crow can, we shouldn't be ignoring that just because one got some attention.

So do domesticated animals?

Cat scratch fever is a real thing.  Dogs can carry worms that are transferable to humans.  

Again..it's about how we're programmed to think some are ok and others are not.

FTR...I don't feed wild animals and I would not have a wild rat.

Crows are all over our cities...do you think it makes a difference that this one has a following?  I don't.  For some reason, people get riled up over it.  Not sure why?

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

People should be careful around wild animals for a variety of reasons. Potential diseases being a big one.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Seriously?

If you've ever gone to the pound to adopt a cat, chances are they could have been.

It's ok to not get or even support this deal with Canuck.   But it's also ok TO understand and feel a sense of sadness.  It seems that's a widespread sentiment and, again, people have different personality types.  Some have empathy for all living creatures, wild/tame/feral/whatever.  And that's what this is about.  Dead or not...some will be saddened.

My Dad's a hardcore hunter...has been his entire life.  But we had a pair of geese waaaay back when.  They mate for life.  They'd been wounded/couldn't fly and ended up taking over our yard ... Dad dug a pond for them and they were "pets". 

After a couple of years, raccoons got into their space one night and killed the female (Snowy <3).  Charlie, her mate, was devastated...Dad said he showed signs of fighting, hard, himself.   He still gets sad talking/thinking about it.  It's more complex than you think.   It's about vulnerability and respect and so many other things for me.  Not just category A (wild) or B (not).

If you see a wounded animal that's struggling..do .you stop to assess "wild/not" and then decide if you feel sad?  I don't.  

When I get a pet I get it weeks or a month old max, not something that's 5 years old in which case yes you maybe correct, but at the same time they are treated and checked before so they don't have diseases and if they're to dangerous for humans they put them down, they don't just go around and collect every stray cat and slap a tag on it and say here you go lol.

Here's a story when I was about 10 years old and not knowing any better, I was walking home from school and found a dead squirrel so decided to bring it home to have it buried, man was my mother livid, I wasn't aware of the diseases they can carry. Reason why I did it was because we had a squirrel that would show up on our porch and I would always feed it peanuts, so in a way it was like a pet, but I didn't start telling all my friends or show casing him to everyone to come see it, didn't bring it in the house didn't pet it like a real pet, I put peanuts on the ground and that was it, it wasn't something to bring into the house though. Once I found out the diseases they can carry I learned to keep my distance, imo show casing this crow as a friendly wild rodent for the younger generation imo is the wrong message, because I doubt like myself at a young age kids don't know this that they can carry diseases, I just believe it's the wrong message to send to kids and not telling them of the problems instead that a wild crow can carry.

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So do domesticated animals?

Cat scratch fever is a real thing.  Dogs can carry worms that are transferable to humans.  

Again..it's about how we're programmed to think some are ok and others are not.

FTR...I don't feed wild animals and I would not have a wild rat.

Crows are all over our cities...do you think it makes a difference that this one has a following?  I don't.  For some reason, people get riled up over it.  Not sure why?

Yes because they're not informing the public of the risks of interacting with a wild crow

Don't MAKE me share stories of Rocky the Raccoon...my friend's pet...used to eat my lipstick right out of my purse.  I should have been slightly more scared of him than I was...he could be a nasty bugger.

Or the picture of me holding my Dad's BFF's pet....bear (cub) in my lap out at his farm in Ladner (not even sure how that came to be...orphaned?...but the bear obviously grew and got to be too much to be kept as a "pet").

I totally get that it's not normal to feel this way about a crow.  Rat.  Whatever.  Your way of thinking is the right way to be truthful...re disease, feeding them, etc.   But I also get that people HAVE latched on to this story/journey and are saddened by the current situation.  What is and what should never be...is.  

16 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes because they're not informing the public of the risks of interacting with a wild crow

A dog can carry worms, or be rabid. Doesn't mean we should ban dogs. 

As for your freaking out of a Crow at a McDonalds. I've seen women carry dogs in their purses like it's some fashion accessory. 

I've seen dogs (And non service ones) in restaurants too. 

I've seen some humans in public that are probably a bigger health hazard to themselves and everyone else. 

• Upvote 1