The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

22 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Hmmmm...

Sounds more like a form of marketing for the Catholic Schools than a serious belief...

Yeah

"Harry Potter is a gateway drug to full blown devil worship"

Lmao

It's not like they're reading Crowley or Manly P Hall.

Catholics are hilarious

• Upvote 1

So these priests are saying that spells in Harry Potter work? 

Did they get a broomstick to fly or something? 

Maybe I should get some elves and dwarves to fashion some magic rings so I can make the ONE ring and rule them all! Mouahahahahhaaaaa.....

Edited by Ghostsof1915

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course.  That priest stating that the “spells in HP are real” is crazy.  I wonder if the area Arch Bishop agrees with this guy?  

Get your tinfoil hat on

There's a distinct and real possibility the Arch Bishop is a Satanist anyways. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe I should get some elves and dwarves to fashion some magic rings so I can make the ONE ring and rule them all! Mouahahahahhaaaaa.....

I might take some heat for this, but when I was reading my son the HP series, (I can't remember which book) there was a "protection spell" which I'd read before, but not in HP.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Get your tinfoil hat on

There's a distinct and real possibility the Arch Bishop is a Satanist anyways. 

I started watching a series of “Al Bundy” shorts.  Too bloody funny!  To hell with the church stuff.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

I might take some heat for this, but when I was reading my son the HP series, (I can't remember which book) there was a "protection spell" which I'd read before, but not in HP.

Spell or prayer?  Or is there a difference?

Just now, luckylager said:

I do to

But should Harry Potter be banned from a school?

I get that it's a Catholic School and all.. But really? Kinda feel like we're going backwards in time here.

I agree that it should not be banned-

but I absolutely understand why someone with strong religious convictions would feel the need to ban it.

And I have to respect the rights of a private school to determine their own curriculum in this case.

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Caine knew how to combat evil!  Course, he WAS a priest as well!  (a shaolin priest)....

1 minute ago, 112 said:

I agree that it should not be banned-

but I absolutely understand why someone with strong religious convictions would feel the need to ban it.

And I have to respect the rights of a private school to determine their own curriculum in this case.

Sure

But they're not beyond criticism for being a bunch of hypocritical puritan blowhards.

Can't read Harry Potter, but if you grow up to be a pedophile, join the seminary and we'll take care of your legal problems.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Where’s the actual magic in Harry Potter? 

Just a sampling of real black arts taught in the Harry Potter series;

Harry and the other students in wizard school learn a new vocabulary, including words/names like "Azkaban", "Circe", "Draco", "Erised", "Hermes", and "Slytherin". All of which are names of real devils or demons conjured up in various forms of black magic/Satanism. These are not characters of fiction that Rowling just made up.  

In real witchcraft, high level witches believe that there are seven satanic princes and that the seventh has no name. In real coven meetings this seventh one is called "the nameless One". The character in Harry Potter known as Voldemort, according to the pronunciation guide says of him "he must not be named".

The Potter books also teach;

a) black magic - Book 2, pg 51-52, Book 3, pg 29, Book 4 pg 655

b) Sorcery - Book 1 pg 23, Book 2 pg 279, Book 3 pg 108, Book 4 pg 640 - 643

c) Altered states of consciousness - Book 1, pag 137, Book 3 pg 83-84, Book 4, 145

d) Use of Amulets - Book 1 pg 134, Book 2, 142,

e) Astral Travel - Book 2 pg 48-49, Book 3 pg 287, Book 4 pg 73,  

f) Astral Projection - Book 2 pg 310, Book 3 pg 371, Book 4 pg 703

g) Astrology - Book 1 pg 257

h) Automatic handwriting - Book 2 pg 240

All of these are REAL occult practice, along with the incantations and spells. Rowling also uses the normal straw-man images society often attributes to witchcraft that is only meant to invalidate in the viewers mind the real power of Witchcraft and the occult. Such symbology is meant to be cryptic. Esoteric symbolism is always used to hide true intended meanings of these dark sciences from those they consider "unenlightened" or "profane".  

Rowling has also intricately woven into all her Potter books the occult sciences of Clairvoyance, Fortunetelling, Energy healing, Psychokinesis, Telekinesis, Invoking spirits, Scrying, Reincarnation, Neo-paganism etc.

Whether witchcraft is real or not is secondary, the point is that the Potter books are teaching REAL OCCULT rituals that are practiced by real witches, sorcerers and occultists the world over.

Brainwashing it is, harmless entertainment it is not....

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Harry and the other students in wizard school learn a new vocabulary, including words/names like "Azkaban", "Circe", "Draco", "Erised", "Hermes", and "Slytherin". All of which are names of real devils or demons conjured up in various forms of black magic/Satanism. These are not characters of fiction that Rowling just made up.  

In real witchcraft, high level witches believe that there are seven satanic princes and that the seventh has no name. In real coven meetings this seventh one is called "the nameless One". The character in Harry Potter known as Voldemort, according to the pronunciation guide says of him "he must not be named".

c) Altered states of consciousness - Book 1, pag 137, Book 3 pg 83-84, Book 4, 145

All of these are REAL occult practice, along with the incantations and spells. Rowling also uses the normal straw-man images society often attributes to witchcraft that is only meant to invalidate in the viewers mind the real power of Witchcraft and the occult. Such symbology is meant to be cryptic. Esoteric symbolism is always used to hide true intended meanings of these dark sciences from those they consider "unenlightened" or "profane".  

Rowling has also intricately woven into all her Potter books the occult sciences of Clairvoyance, Fortunetelling, Energy healing, Psychokinesis, Telekinesis, Invoking spirits, Scrying, Reincarnation, Neo-paganism etc.

Whether witchcraft is real or not is secondary, the point is that the Potter books are teaching REAL OCCULT rituals that are practiced by real witches, sorcerers and occultists the world over.

This is all cute and funny.  It’s a storybook.  If kids want to read these books I think that’s great.  If they want to play silly games with chanting spells, that’s great too.  It’s not real.  I don’t think any kid is dumb enough to believe they can fly on a broom.  It’s just fun and games.  Let the kids enjoy their books.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Oh come on. 

Anybody that can read and reference the hundreds of books available to them on Magik, the Occult,  Esoterica etc can easily weave them into a storyline.

Those names and actions have been around for millennia and you want to sit there acting like HP is some sort of handbook designed to lead children towards the dark arts. 

Totally insane.

But let's just pretend she's attempting to brainwash the children - she'd actually be pushing them toward white magik and not the "dark side".

Believe what you want, but there are literally hundreds of books which actually pose more of a threat to Christian totalitarianism. 

Edited by luckylager

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Oh come on. 

Anybody that can read and reference the hundreds of books available to them on Magik, the Occult,  Esoterica etc can easily weave them into a storyline.

Those names and actions have been around for millennia and you want to sit there acting like HP is some sort of handbook designed to lead children towards the dark arts. 

Totally insane.

But let's just pretend she's attempting to brainwash the children - she'd actually be pushing them toward white magik and not the "dark side".

Believe what you want, but there are literally hundreds of books which actually pose more of a threat to Christian totalitarianism. 

Yes, those names and actions have been around for millennia, long before Pottermania. The ideas presented in HP were NOT the creative imaginations of a 1997 author, but the dark sciences thousands of years old.  As for your comment about the kids being pushed toward "white magik"....this is also true, but it also shows a complete misunderstanding of the arcane and mysteries of the Occult.

There is no existential difference between white magic and black magic. Both supposedly attempt to harness the same occult power but for different reasons. The two are just two different sides of the same coin. That truth has also been around for millennia. Not knowing where that so-called "power" originated is part of the problem.

Yes, story lines can be made from referencing Esoteric doctrine, but that charge in itself is a story line. If your statement is objectively true and the opposite is objectively false, then at least one of those story lines MUST be true. We're entitled to our own opinion, but not our own facts.