The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

8 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Yes, those names and actions have been around for millennia, long before Pottermania. The ideas presented in HP were NOT the creative imaginations of a 1997 author, but the dark sciences thousands of years old.  As for your comment about the kids being pushed toward "white magik"....this is also true, but it also shows a complete misunderstanding of the arcane and mysteries of the Occult.

There is no existential difference between white magic and black magic. Both supposedly attempt to harness the same occult power but for different reasons. The two are just two different sides of the same coin. That truth has also been around for millennia. Not knowing where that so-called "power" originated is part of the problem.

Yes, story lines can be made from referencing Esoteric doctrine, but that charge in itself is a story line. If your statement is objectively true and the opposite is objectively false, then at least one of those story lines MUST be true. We're entitled to our own opinion, but not our own facts.

Bolded - That can and is said for every facet of life, death and the unknown.

By that rationale Jesus and Satan are just two sides of the same coin.

There are many thousands of magik and mysteries that have always been. Long before we recognized and wrote for them, they were there.

Jesus used his magik for good, friend. Let's not forget that.

Second bolded - you spoke of strawman earlier. Well your statement is a different logical fallacy, pretty sure it's a false dichotomy, but I haven't been in school for a very long time.

Edited by luckylager

Strange I listened to heavy metal growing up, along with playing D&D, and never turned to Satanism. 

In fact I seem to notice religious fanatics of all sorts seem to be ones that cause pain, death and suffering. 

Maybe they should be more understanding, and being more charitable, and with goodwill to your fellow human beings? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is all cute and funny.  It’s a storybook.  If kids want to read these books I think that’s great.  If they want to play silly games with chanting spells, that’s great too.  It’s not real.  I don’t think any kid is dumb enough to believe they can fly on a broom.  It’s just fun and games.  Let the kids enjoy their books.  

Plato's story of the cave rings true in this position. The idea of a witches broom is used in Paganism and Wicca as a tool of magic to symbolize the "sweeping away" of negative energies, the rituals of pleasing the God and Goddess whereby land and person being granted powers of fertility. It's also believed that it can be used to prevent spells and negative energies from harming you. Its one of the strongest symbols in witchcraft. The concept of witches "flying" on broomsticks isn't meant to convey literal truth, but it does haves highly esoteric meanings and when its symbolic ritual is performed. 

Suffice to say, witches flying around on broom is a good enough cover-story to keep the profane away from the supposed truth.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

There is evil in the world.  Energy continues, doesn’t it?  Maybe evil energy exists?  

only in the human capacity to be both wonderful and horrible creatures at the same time. 

We're just monkey's with matches. But we also have a conscience from time to time. 

As far as the "magic" goes, well.... I'll just say, prove it. 

6 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Plato's story of the cave rings true in this position. The idea of a witches broom is used in Paganism and Wicca as a tool of magic to symbolize the "sweeping away" of negative energies, the rituals of pleasing the God and Goddess whereby land and person being granted powers of fertility. It's also believed that it can be used to prevent spells and negative energies from harming you. Its one of the strongest symbols in witchcraft. The concept of witches "flying" on broomsticks isn't meant to convey literal truth, but it does haves highly esoteric meanings and when its symbolic ritual is performed. 

Suffice to say, witches flying around on broom is a good enough cover-story to keep the profane away from the supposed truth.

Is it an arcane plot or did Rowling work an old as dirt trope about witches into her stories? 

1 hour ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Just a sampling of real black arts taught in the Harry Potter series;

Harry and the other students in wizard school learn a new vocabulary, including words/names like "Azkaban", "Circe", "Draco", "Erised", "Hermes", and "Slytherin". All of which are names of real devils or demons conjured up in various forms of black magic/Satanism. These are not characters of fiction that Rowling just made up.  

In real witchcraft, high level witches believe that there are seven satanic princes and that the seventh has no name. In real coven meetings this seventh one is called "the nameless One". The character in Harry Potter known as Voldemort, according to the pronunciation guide says of him "he must not be named".

The Potter books also teach;

a) black magic - Book 2, pg 51-52, Book 3, pg 29, Book 4 pg 655

b) Sorcery - Book 1 pg 23, Book 2 pg 279, Book 3 pg 108, Book 4 pg 640 - 643

c) Altered states of consciousness - Book 1, pag 137, Book 3 pg 83-84, Book 4, 145

d) Use of Amulets - Book 1 pg 134, Book 2, 142,

e) Astral Travel - Book 2 pg 48-49, Book 3 pg 287, Book 4 pg 73,  

f) Astral Projection - Book 2 pg 310, Book 3 pg 371, Book 4 pg 703

g) Astrology - Book 1 pg 257

h) Automatic handwriting - Book 2 pg 240

All of these are REAL occult practice, along with the incantations and spells. Rowling also uses the normal straw-man images society often attributes to witchcraft that is only meant to invalidate in the viewers mind the real power of Witchcraft and the occult. Such symbology is meant to be cryptic. Esoteric symbolism is always used to hide true intended meanings of these dark sciences from those they consider "unenlightened" or "profane".  

Rowling has also intricately woven into all her Potter books the occult sciences of Clairvoyance, Fortunetelling, Energy healing, Psychokinesis, Telekinesis, Invoking spirits, Scrying, Reincarnation, Neo-paganism etc.

Whether witchcraft is real or not is secondary, the point is that the Potter books are teaching REAL OCCULT rituals that are practiced by real witches, sorcerers and occultists the world over.

Brainwashing it is, harmless entertainment it is not....

Hermes.....my Greek mythology is a lil rusty but pretty sure that was Zeus's messager in Athens......I've never heard of a culture using Hermes as a name for the devil....

I'm in the other camp here. I find it crazy that a Catholic School actually had Harry Potter books to take off the shelves in the first place. The Bible is quite clear on all forms of magic & spiritism - it defiles a person, and makes them an enemy of God:

Leviticus 19:31 New International Version (NIV)

31 “‘Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists,for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 New International Version (NIV)

10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord...

I am not Catholic, in fact I am completely opposed to the organization. But in this case, in this particular school, for this particular small subject, they are at least practicing what they preach. The kids are free to go get the books elsewhere if they want, but it makes perfect sense for the school not to conveniently provide them.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Bolded - That can and is said for every facet of life, death and the unknown.

By that rationale Jesus and Satan are just two sides of the same coin.

There are many thousands of magik and mysteries that have always been. Long before we recognized and wrote for them, they were there.

Jesus used his magik for good, friend. Let's not forget that.

Second bolded - you spoke of strawman earlier. Well your statement is a different logical fallacy, pretty sure it's a false dichotomy, but I haven't been in school for a very long time.

1st bolded....the issue at hand isn't unknown, its the objective, verifiable fact that HP promotes and teaches Witchcraft, Sorcery and other Occult doctrine so your point is moot. 

2nd bolded.... your argument spawns from both an unknown and faulty premise that is arbitrarily stated as fact (that Jesus used "magik") so your argument short-circuits itself. There is no false dichotomy in what I said. Although a premise CAN truthfully assert various answers which can all be true, a premise can also truthfully assert one correct answer and all other false.  

20 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Hermes.....my Greek mythology is a lil rusty but pretty sure that was Zeus's messager in Athens......I've never heard of a culture using Hermes as a name for the devil....

Most (but not all) Greek Mythology has its foundation in the mystery religions of ancient Egypt and Babylon. The Greek God Hermes was known in ancient Egypt as the god of magic and medicine. It was believed Hermes learnt the "mysteries" of the universe and sought out people to reveal them to.  Just google Hermes + Occult....

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Is it an arcane plot or did Rowling work an old as dirt trope about witches into her stories? 

The Occult and the black arts are inherent in the arcane. As for Rowling, she either studied the black arts of the Occult, sought out Occult advisors or she's just a useful dupe.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Most (but not all) Greek Mythology has its foundation in the mystery religions of ancient Egypt and Babylon. The Greek God Hermes was known in ancient Egypt as the god of magic and medicine. It was believed Hermes learnt the "mysteries" of the universe and sought out people to reveal them to.  Just google Hermes + Occult....

Oh cool I didn't know that. Thx I enjoy learning about different religions. 

1st bolded....the issue at hand isn't unknown, its the objective, verifiable fact that HP promotes and teaches Witchcraft, Sorcery and other Occult doctrine so your point is moot. 

2nd bolded.... your argument spawns from both an unknown and faulty premise that is arbitrarily stated as fact (that Jesus used "magik") so your argument short-circuits itself. There is no false dichotomy in what I said. Although a premise CAN truthfully assert various answers which can all be true, a premise can also truthfully assert one correct answer and all other false.  

I love this guy

• Haha 1

Well $&!# eh!

I guess this is where I thank the good teacher for a lesson.

I wonder, when the coin is flipped and heads shine in the sun, should we pick up the coin and make sure the tail is really there; or do we blindly trust the fact it is?