The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Goldobin, 1 year/900k

HerrDrFunk

Benning obviously does not want to give up on Goldy... we'll see what happens.

With this contract he has his last chance to prove he can do it... hope he is working on simplifying his game and working on his shot and one timer.

I expect he will be depth at least for some time.

He could also be trade bait at the deadline if he performs.

@Hutton Wink @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME Say they go with the 22 man roster. Gives me just over 7 million to work with I believe? I’m imagining Brock will come in around 6.5-7 unless he signs a one or two year deal, so that doesn’t leave them with much wiggle room for call ups does it? Roussel on LTIR seems like a temporary fix to me. 

I see that they’ll have enough to get Boeser’s deal done but, to me, it just doesn’t seem like enough room to go into the season with. Might they try to move some salary?

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Excellent, excellent to hear! People are going on and on about the whole 2-way player thing - which was an issue - but JB just addressed the real need. Goldy needs to put the puck in the net more often and not miss oppirtunities.

Last season he missed and whiffed on a lot of scoring chances. I remember him missing at least two open net chances he should have buried. Now Green needs to put him in the best situation to meet those expectations.

Benning also says he wants the top 9 to play in BOTH ENDS. Which still means 2-way. Since its September and he is signing for 900k, I suspect he is only a depth player and the team doesn't want to throw away an asset. He is either trade bait, or ,he is done this year its entirely up to him. A 900k player is not going to get another chance, I like how Benning is handling the new signings.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

@Hutton Wink @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME Say they go with the 22 man roster. Gives me just over 7 million to work with I believe? I’m imagining Brock will come in around 6.5-7 unless he signs a one or two year deal, so that doesn’t leave them with much wiggle room for call ups does it? Roussel on LTIR seems like a temporary fix to me. 

I see that they’ll have enough to get Boeser’s deal done but, to me, it just doesn’t seem like enough room to go into the season with. Might they try to move some salary?

It's a "worst-case" situation.  They can make room if they have to, even if they find no way to move out Eriksson or others.  But yes, once Roussel comes back they'll be forced to make another move.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends on Brocks AAV, doesn't it?  

Hence the 'assuming it fits'. But I'm pretty sure Brock's falling somewhere between $6-7.5m (depending on term) any of which range still allows for Biega IIRC. 

And if it does, we actually want to be as close as possible to the cap to take advantage of as much LTIR as we can.

Edited by aGENT

22 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Roussel on LTIR seems like a temporary fix to me. 

It's exactly what it is.

Gives us until late Nov-early Dec to make a trade (I'd wager one of Baer/Pearson), have another guy on IR (further kicking that can down the road), offload a guy like Eriksson, trade a Tanev or Sutter etc, etc.

It's a juggling act but it's not anything that we shouldn't be able to manage.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders.

They have stated that they have a plan in place for the cap. If necessary, they can waive players as well as paper down one or more waivers exempt player(s) to make it work.

Goldy has a hill to climb. His skill needs a work ethic to match. Let's go Nikolay.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders.

They have stated that they have a plan in place for the cap. If necessary, they can waive players as well as paper down one or more waivers exempt player(s) to make it work.

Goldy has a hill to climb. His skill needs a work ethic to match. Let's go Nikolay.

I can't wait to see the twitter outrage when we paper down some of Pettersson, Hughes etc :lol:

• Haha 1