The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Climate change advocate wins award

kingofsurrey

Great news....

Environmental activist Tzeporah Berman receives $2M climate award

Berman says she plans to use the award to develop programs that will cut new oil and gas development and keep carbon unburned and out of the atmosphere.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/environmental-activist-tzeporah-berman-receives-2m-climate-award

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, inane said:

:picard:

Yah Harry Potter books and Cats preparing for war .  deserve threads here.... but a local person winning 2 MILLION for work on global warming does not.....

Right dude.....  Rock on. :picard:

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah Harry Potter books and Cats deserve threads here.... but a local person winning 2 MILLION for work on global warming does not.....

Right dude.....  Rock on. :picard:

How did you know that my entire argument was that cats deserve threads but not climate change? How perceptive of you!!

/whoosh

11 minutes ago, inane said:

How did you know that my entire argument was that cats deserve threads but not climate change? How perceptive of you!!

/whoosh

Anyways... kids derailed the thread....

back on track now..

Great news....

Berman says she plans to use the award to develop programs that will cut new oil and gas development and keep carbon unburned and out of the atmosphere.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/environmental-activist-tzeporah-berman-receives-2m-climate-award

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Anyways... kids derailed the thread....

back on track now..

Great news....

Berman co-founded Stand.earth, the organization behind numerous environmental campaigns, including those targeting expansion of the Trans Mountain oil pipeline, pollution caused by Carnival cruise ships and Proctor & Gamble for making toilet paper from intact forests.

It says its unrestricted awards go to individuals or small teams, not institutions or organizations, allowing them to step beyond their past work in order to consider and develop the most ambitious strategies they can execute.

:emot-parrot:

Edited by Violator
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Ok. So are you talking about pollution or climate change? Humans are horrifically polluting the planet. There is a continent sized mass of plastic that exists in the south Pacific. Most of it comes from China and the countries in Asia that don't have a seat at the table, or refuse to step to the table, when it comes to environmental issues. What do you propose that could involve 30% of the world, to change the planet?

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

Ok. So are you talking about pollution or climate change? Humans are horrifically polluting the planet. There is a continent sized mass of plastic that exists in the south Pacific. Most of it comes from China and the countries in Asia that don't have a seat at the table, or refuse to step to the table, when it comes to environmental issues. What do you propose that could involve 30% of the world, to change the planet?

Did you even read the thread....

One Astroid or major volcanic eruption away from needing a coat. 

Which one do you think will come before Al Gore and co. can save us from global warming, or climate change; whatever the &^@# they call it today. 

Did humans cause the last ice age?

Maybe just the younger Dryas.

Now we are causing a stable climate phase. 

I cant keep up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Another 2 million dollars to be used to keep the dirty Bitumen in the ground forever where it belongs.... is great news for all of us and our  natural environment.

Don’t mean to be a dick, KOS, we’re cool, but I know you heat your home with natural gas, and well, you know you are an end user of the resource as well as the rest of us consumers of this badness. 

Nobody wants a dirty climate or any other consequence of our evolution and industry, but until you bravely move away from your beloved, mega-polluter city to take up farming, stfu and don’t be a damn hypocrite like every other David Suzuki prick out there lecturing the rest of us about emissions - while boarding a jet. 

I don't like fracking or other nasty biz either, but guess what keeps your Canucks’s ice surface cold and their building warm? It’s all connected to the same industry. 

You are a consumer, not anything but. Never forget that. Humanity is a spec of filth on an ever-changing ball of magma and stardust. 

The day you start wearing a buckskin and sending me environmentally-safe smoke signals from some off-the-grid, zero emissions piece of land, I’ll listen to you as long as you never use a road, read a book, own a watch, go to school, watch a game... nothing. Lol Humans pollute, no way around it. 

What I get a kick out of is humans being duped into thinking they are somehow ‘a thing’ to this planet’s survival.

We are but a blip on the geolocation time scale. The planet survived colliding with other planets and all manner of things, let alone ice ages. This global warming and environmental thing is cute in its packaging, but like I said, the second we learn of an Astroid heading our way, or even if a major volcanic event happens anywhere on the planet, do you think Al Gore and all the environmentalists will be even around to monitor emissions, etc? Its like people think we are the earth’s custodians during an endless run of stable climate, without even the slightest fear of the natural process built into this ball.

Earthquakes and volcanism related to the changing deflections of past-glacial lands, complicating our guesses of plate tectonics are one thing, but we’re also expecting a bombardment of impacts from all sorts of extinction/younger Dryas-makers. You can almost bet that either the earth or the heavens will beat us to our own demise. 

Ha, it’s laughable to think how quickly our collective destruction and conservation efforts will be the very, very last priority for any living human staring down a bright light hurling our way in the sky or a volcano or a series of mega-earthquakes - each capable of releasing more bad into the environment than humans ever could, and overdue as far as the earth’s patterns are concerned. Take a think on that sometime. 

We have managed to exist in the one of the most stable times the planet has known, especially the mammals. At any moment we could be extinct, if not just be in for a real, actual climate change lol. I do like the idea of placing Richmond, Surrey, etc. Under a mile of ice though, but I digress, lol. 

The earth once boiled gold and diamonds to its surface and stratified minerals by precipitation. It’s even been covered in miles of ice several times. This is what earth does. Filling the Gulf of Mexico with oil is insanely bad... baddd, yes, but to the earth, this is nothing. Life has endured much... much worse. 

My rant is meant to say, humans are a blight on the planet, agreed, but hardly an obstacle for it. Earth’s 4.5 Billion year history laughs at our industries and clean-up efforts, compared to what its endured and, worse, its inevitable date with the pending supernova.

When all the tree huggers, an affectionate moniker, live like we did tens of thousands of years ago, then I’ll at least show enough tolerance to let them finish their virtuous point, but I guarantee you that before humans like them give up their human nature, the earth will strike first, if not an extraterrestrial visitor is well-overdue for another rock fight. Either will take us to the brink before a plastic bottle island in the ocean does. 

Don't pollute, but don’t think the earth is going to die from it either. It will boil all Victoria’s sewers off and turn that into something a new life form will consume in another billion years! I don’t think We understand just how inconsequential we are to this planet or the universe. 

Meanwhile, sure don’t dump your engine oil into a river. Don’t do a lot of stuff. The earth will one day recycle all of us and every damn trace of us. Everything we made came from this earth and it will all go back to it, eventually, IMO. 

Maybe thats not the best bedtime story, but it’s how I see things going for us pathetic humans. Humans Being.  

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Free-Unit said:

@189lb enforcers?. Omg I cannot thank you enough for this post. 

Maybe not my finest rant, but every blabbering idiot deserves a space or a post to reveal just how little we really know, but with conviction, damn it! 

I am actually a big-Time tree hugger at heart.

I’m not about to listen to someone who fails to even recognize the scale they contribute to something daily - let’s take Surry’s Water Treatment Center for instance as being a bigger, nastier skank of an ecological footprint than 99% of all the towns in Northern BC combined- tell me anything at all about environment-anything. Screw that. 

I get irate when I'm in the bush and see some Albortion tourist, or especially those &^@#ing lower mainland dicks, come into our bush and make a mess of it, leaving dirt bike trenches off-trail, burn garbage, cans, whatever, behind. I also hate the pulp mills and the O&G Industry, but I’m not enough of a hypocrite to lecture you to stop doing something because I’m sat by my gas fireplace on my IPad thing, mined out of some virgin forest somewhere.

I drive a 550hp car. Everything I do burns fossil fuel. What can I say about environmental activism with a straight face?  

My mom once told me, “You shouldn’t should on people”.

Did David Suzuki have a mom too? 

PS

KOS is one of my favs on here for different reasons. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?