The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd love to see a venn diagram of those now preaching "he earned it" and those crying about asset management a cpl seasons ago.

I wonder how many of these same people also complain about how there's no youth and real NHL depth in Utica as well.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Eriksson does not deserve to be with this club,. He can go and work on reinventing himself in Utica.

Guadette is the exact opposite,. You can not hold back a race horse that wants to race..

playing at the NHL level IS crucial for his development now, not Utica.

was I the only one who saw a look of disbelief in Greens eyes after some of Erikssons shifts?

the game has exited his mind and body.

as I come from a horse racing background, that's actually completely untrue and holding a horse back that wants to open up is [probably the most common strategy.  You rein him in, keep him at the back of the pack until the last leg of the race and then you let him go after the rest of the pack has tired out.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Eriksson does not deserve to be with this club,. He can go and work on reinventing himself in Utica.

Guadette is the exact opposite,. You can not hold back a race horse that wants to race..

playing at the NHL level IS crucial for his development now, not Utica.

was I the only one who saw a look of disbelief in Greens eyes after some of Erikssons shifts?

the game has exited his mind and body.

I also think Green has reached the end of his patience for Goldy as well. It was written all over his face after a Goldy give away. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Worth a look. But I still personally believe that we will be sending down Gaudette still until we trade Sutter or an injury occurs.

But we need Gaudette for his offense and Sutter for his defense imo.  

Two good options are:

Baer  Gaudette  Leivo

Sutter  Beagle  Eriksson

OR

Baer Gaudette  Sutter

Leivo  Beagle  Eriksson

The Eriksson spot can be filled by any of Motte or Virtanen if JB/Green have the cojones to waive little things Loui.

PS: I never knew until now how cojones was spelt lol.

co·jo·nes
/kəˈhōˌnāz,-ˌnās/
noun

1. INFORMALNORTH AMERICAN
    a man's testicles.
    • courage; guts.
      "he does not have the cojones to kill a flea"
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

as I come from a horse racing background, that's actually completely untrue and holding a horse back that wants to open up is [probably the most common strategy.  You rein him in, keep him at the back of the pack until the last leg of the race and then you let him go after the rest of the pack has tired out.

Loui doesn’t look tired to you?

i think we’re at that part of your race Stawnzy.

He’s actually playing at a retirement level.

Edited by SilentSam

18 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Up until about a week ago I would have agreed with you 100%.

But the way Gaudette has shown he can contribute to team offense, I no longer think that is the case with him.  If the Canucks keep him up and they end up losing either Schaller or Goldy on waivers, does it even matter?

I would say No. There is other depth in Utica to call up if required.

Don't get me wrong. I would prefer it if both Schaller and Goldy got waived and both made it to Utica. They can continue to work on their games and come back up when injuries occur.

Lots of good points. I agree with Schaller he can go. Goldy needs to stay based on asset management.

The other thing is the likelyhood of a forward getting hurt (Baer, Sutter) is very high so put Gaud down for asset management and bring him up in 6-10 games once Baer is hurt for the season.

Unless of course they waive 21!

They still have to do something about the cap.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

But we need Gaudette for his offense and Sutter for his defense imo.  

Two good options are:

Baer  Gaudette  Leivo

Sutter  Beagle  Eriksson

OR

Baer Gaudette  Sutter

Leivo  Beagle  Eriksson

The Eriksson spot can be filled by any of Motte or Virtanen if JB/Green have the cojones to waive little things Loui.

PS: I never knew until now how cojones was spelt lol.

co·jo·nes
/kəˈhōˌnāz,-ˌnās/
noun

1. INFORMALNORTH AMERICAN
    a man's testicles.
    • courage; guts.
      "he does not have the cojones to kill a flea"

I think the writing is on the wall for Sutter because of his cap. I thought he would be dealt next offseason after hopefully a healthy season, but Gaudette's play has really changed things. They might take lesser value. Of course Baertschi/Leivo/whoever could also be traded to make space as well, but Sutter is a center and holds value because of that. They had Gaudette out a lot on PKs in preseason also likely as a look to how he can handle that role (perhaps should they lose a respectable PK center).

Certainly will be interesting how things play out. There's really no right or wrong way to go about it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Loui doesn’t look tired to you?

i think we’re at that part of your race Stawnzy.

He’s actually playing at a retirement level.

I was referring to AG, it's not going to hurt to keep him reined in in Utica.  If anything, it might push him to prove they made the wrong choice, that seems consistent with his character.

I actually think LE looked not too bad in pre-season, he's certainly been solid on the pk and he's been on the ice for a few chances here and there and put up a few points.  I'm not saying he's going to crack the top 9, but he hasn't been bad, all things considered.

So with Boeser and Fatenberg possibly on IR to start the year I think Benning will go with 14 forwards and 7 D.  This makes sense as you can send down Brisebois and Chatfield who are ineligible for waivers.  Keeping the extra forward allows Benning to defer the tough decision on who to waive until Boeser returns.  Right now it is relatively easy:

Ferland       Pettersson   Leivo

Pearson     Horvat          Miller

Baertschi   Gaudette      Sutter

Motte         Beagle         Virtanen

Eriksson

Goldobin

Boeser (IR)

Roussel (LTIR)

MacEwen sent to Utica

Schaller waived

Schaller isn't even an NHL player at this point so he can be waived and will clear easily.  MacEwen has played well but still needs to improve so he needs to play big minutes in Utica.  Gaudette has made this team and will be in the lineup opening night.  Virtanen has been disappointing so he can start on the 4th line and go from there.  Sutter playing on the wing will help Gaudette and shelter him on faceoffs and defensive duties.  Eriksson and Goldobin are only around because Boeser and Fatenberg are injured.  Once they are back decisions will have to be made.

I think this is what will happen.  Of course if Boeser and/or Fatenberg are ready for the season opener that could change everything.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think the writing is on the wall for Sutter because of his cap. I thought he would be dealt next offseason after hopefully a healthy season, but Gaudette's play has really changed things. They might take lesser value. Of course Baertschi/Leivo/whoever could also be traded to make space as well, but Sutter is a center and holds value because of that. They had Gaudette out a lot on PKs in preseason also likely as a look to how he can handle that role (perhaps should they lose a respectable PK center).

Certainly will be interesting how things play out. There's really no right or wrong way to go about it.

Gaudette has a long, long way to go before he can fill Sutter's role, just based on faceoffs alone

The fact that that Brisebois is still here makes me wonder if they might be working on a trade. There would be no reason to keep him here as 7th D. Biega fits that role.

There would be no reason to not send him down unless they are looking at trade options to make room for him, but don't know who on defense they could realistically be willing to part with.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The fact that that Brisebois is still here makes me wonder if they might be working on a trade. There would be no reason to keep him here as 7th D. Biega fits that role.

There would be no reason to not send him down unless they are looking at trade options to make room for him, but don't know who on defense they could realistically be willing to part with.

they could be keeping him here for practice through the weekend, to have an even number of pairs, etc

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Kesler, just his intensity and in a couple years with a center core of 

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

I agree with that somewhat, in style only, not db-ness.  I don't think he'll match Kes' defensive acumen though

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Kesler, just his intensity and in a couple years with a center core of 

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

We also have Tyler Madden in the system.  He could be better suited for the wing though with his speed but he's another young option down the middle.  If he turns out like his father Tyler could be a beauty.