The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

your probably right but they are getting closer.  it may be a struggle for a couple more years. until the defensive game equals the offensive game in ability, the team will struggle.  green likes strong defensive teams, so finding the right balance will take time.

Absolutely agree, 100%.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

It's not goign to hurt anything to send AG down and show that he can produce that way in meaningful games and be the go to guy.  That will up his value significantly.........he's not going to get that chance in Van

And what happens if he does show well after 15 games? At some point, it will hurt for someone who gave it his all in preseason and "earned" a shot to stick in the NHL.

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And what happens if he does show well after 15 games? At some point, it will hurt for someone who gave it his all in preseason and "earned" a shot to stick in the NHL.

There'll be injuries, as there always is.  If he ends up in Utica all season, how does that hurt him?  

10 hours ago, bree2 said:

so you are saying send Gaudette down , but keep LE, JV AND Goldy up, Gaudette has earned his spot and the others haven't. some are saying Jake can get 15 to 20 points , so keep him up , well that was last year , from what we all saw this preseason, Jake seems very just disinterested.

Yes. But only because he still needs to work on the defensive side of his game. I want to start looking at the long view like contending teams do. If we just jettison unpopular players and lose them to waivers, then when we get our inevitable injuries , we will be in the same boat that we've been in the past several seasons. I would much rather have NHL ready players step in so we can keep up a decent level of play rather than fading down the stretch. Gaudette was very good offensively, but he made some rookie errors on the defensive side. There's nothing wrong with him polishing that side of his game with bigger minutes and a more central role in Utica.

If he stays up, I have no problem with that as well. I just hope we don't lose anyone to waivers and then end up fading later in the season. As I said before, we get a lot of injuries so he would end up on the team eventually. I also think that by sending him down that it will open up a possibility for a trade later when other teams suffer injuries and some of their younger players don't work out at which point Gaudette can step into the line-up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

Could the Canucks put JV on a 2 week conditioning stint in Utica without waivers ? 

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Most teams have 12 or 13 forwards on their NHL roster's We currently have 16 forwards our NHL roster which is more than any other NHL team so JB is going get a couple forwards off of our NHL rosters.

Tim Schaller one guy JB is looking to trade if finds a team that will pick him up on waivers.

Goldobin is project that has never been above to put points in any position at the NHL level & why his contract is low we no longer have a roster position for him 

When we have a few floaters in the line up, is that the culture we're creating?

Just bench Goldy or Jake.

Waiver LE, and park him in the press box if he's so valuable. Pray some team claims him.

Gaudette can do what Stecher and Hutton did. Come in and help us right away. Watching floaters in the bottom of the roster is boring and frustrating.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, the grinder said:

you wanna keep goldy schaller and ericsson    over sutter pearson and leivo   , and then gaudette on the second line :picard:       the best roster they can ice   wont have goldy ericsson or schaller on the ice 

hey Grinder... thanks for quoting me and giving it the lame facepalm... just thinking outside the box ahead of last night's game.   Everyone is talking about how great our top 6 is, but in truth the line of Pearson  Horvat  Miller did not impress in the preseason.   Sutter is not a play making centre and I don't think he can play wing on Beagle's line because they get in the way of each other, so where is Sutter going to play?  Also, maybe Eriksson contributed a lot to the late season success of the Horvat Pearson combo?   Leivo played alright last night, but I'm not sold on Pearson and think Sutter should be traded, and if not traded, thinking outside the box, I thought it might be possible for Sutter to find some chemistry playing right wing with Horvat.  

• Wat 1