The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

hey Grinder... thanks for quoting me and giving it the lame facepalm... just thinking outside the box ahead of last night's game.   Everyone is talking about how great our top 6 is, but in truth the line of Pearson  Horvat  Miller did not impress in the preseason.   Sutter is not a play making centre and I don't think he can play wing on Beagle's line because they get in the way of each other, so where is Sutter going to play?  Also, maybe Eriksson contributed a lot to the late season success of the Horvat Pearson combo?   Leivo played alright last night, but I'm not sold on Pearson and think Sutter should be traded, and if not traded, thinking outside the box, I thought it might be possible for Sutter to find some chemistry playing right wing with Horvat.  

lame like how you think Eriksson schaller and goldy are better lol     pearson is better  than those 3  ,   sutter after 2 hernia surgeries is better ,   leivo is better.  eriksson contributed what  11 goal 29 points and 3 hits  in 81 games  that is worth keeping  now that is lame    sutter on Horvat wing  ?    :picard:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

There'll be injuries, as there always is.  If he ends up in Utica all season, how does that hurt him?  

Because he showed up in camp and put in the effort above several of the bubble guys. Yet doesn't get rewarded for it. It goes against what Benning and Green have said and would put into question about the purpose of coming into the offseason ready to go. 

Gaudette personally would be hurt by getting an AHL salary as a reward for showing up. Of course I don't expect him to be in Utica all year with call ups and what not, but the relationship between player and team (and other players) will view the words that the coach and GM have been preaching if he's stuck in Utica for the majority of the year.

If he is sent down, I'm sure the message is that they intend on bringing him back up as soon as they can while they clear up the forward situation.

9 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lame like how you think Eriksson schaller and goldy are better lol     pearson is better  than those 3  ,   sutter after 2 hernia surgeries is better ,   leivo is better.  eriksson contributed what  11 goal 29 points and 3 hits  in 81 games  that is worth keeping  now that is lame    sutter on Horvat wing  ?    :picard:

hey facepalm guy, answer me this, is Pearson a legit top six player, Eriksson is a better penalty killer than Pearson.  If I want to see a line of Baertschi   Gaudette   Miller, where would you play Sutter?  

this is where I think Green has his fwd group pegged for opening night :

ferland   pettersson   boeser
pearson   horvat   miller
eriksson   sutter   leivo
motte   beagle   schaller

virtanen  baertschi   
waived if no one is traded : goldobin
sent to Utica :  gaudette

if boeser can't go, he bumps leivo to the top line and inserts virtanen.  

• Wat 2

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Because he showed up in camp and put in the effort above several of the bubble guys. Yet doesn't get rewarded for it. It goes against what Benning and Green have said and would put into question about the purpose of coming into the offseason ready to go. 

Gaudette personally would be hurt by getting an AHL salary as a reward for showing up. Of course I don't expect him to be in Utica all year with call ups and what not, but the relationship between player and team (and other players) will view the words that the coach and GM have been preaching if he's stuck in Utica for the majority of the year.

If he is sent down, I'm sure the message is that they intend on bringing him back up as soon as they can while they clear up the forward situation.

I think your last paragraph is really important. I think (could be wrong, but it is the impression I have) Green is a good communicator with his players. If they sit down with Gaudette and say something to the effect of:

"You've had a great camp and impresssed us. We want you on this team and think you have what it takes to contribute to us winning. We're going to have to send you down for a little bit to give us some time to make space for you on the roster. You haven't done anything wrong, it's just a numbers/contracts issue at the moment, you'll be back in the NHL soon."

I don't think that would contradict what the organization has been preaching, at least internally.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Would anyone trade Gaudette for a winger? Possibly Jonathan Drouin? 

Not saying we should but he's probably at peak value right now, and we could use another winger until we get Madden in the system 

I certainly would not. Drouin is a 5.5 million dollar player not much different that goldy at this point. A winger that is one dimensional.  Gaudette is a centre that is cost controlled for a few years and will contribute to offense and will probably be physical as he gets bigger.

No thanks...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

virtanen  baertschi   

I highly doubt that is what Green is thinking. Baer has been great and so has Gaud.  More like:

Ferland  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  JT Miller

Baer  Gaudette  Leivo

Sutter  Beagle  Virtanen

Motte 

25 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

virtanen  baertschi   

Really? If that was you opinion that would be one thing, but you can't throw green under the bus for a bad lineup like that. Schaller has not earned opening night roster, Loui has not earned 3rd line, and no way in hell Baer has earned being scratched. Baer has looked great all preseason. Seems like a really poor lineup to be banking on the head coach agreeing with.

Edited by shayster007
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I highly doubt that is what Green is thinking. Baer has been great and so has Gaud.  More like:

Ferland  Petey  Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  JT Miller

Baer  Gaudette  Leivo

Sutter  Beagle  Virtanen

Motte 

This! I think Eriksson will also be on the bench and just Biega as 7th defenseman to start the season. Than in the first couple weeks an injury or two will happen (sutter / baertchi) and the problem will sort itself out

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If he gets sent down, he's far from the first to outplay other players and still get sent down and he's far from the last.  There's nothing wrong with paying his dues.  If he makes it, great, as long as they don't sacrifice depth to keep him.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Really? If that was you opinion that would be one thing, but you can't throw green under the bus for a bad lineup like that. Schaller has not earned opening night roster, Loui has not earned 3rd line, and no way in hell Baer has earned being scratched. Baer has looked great all preseason. Seems like a really poor lineup to be banking on the head coach agreeing with.

That's also the opinion of Batchelor, Drance and others in media based on Green's comments and being around the team.  

12 minutes ago, mll said:

That's also the opinion of Batchelor, Drance and others in media based on Green's comments and being around the team.  

Well That's stupid. Schaller has no value and should be sent down. He can be called back later and if he gets picked up on waivers who cares.

There's no way Gaudette get's sent down - understand sports - they need to win the first game out of the gate and who helps them with that/ - Gaudette

2 minutes ago, hankyndanky said:

Well That's stupid. Schaller has no value and should be sent down. He can be called back later and if he gets picked up on waivers who cares.

There's no way Gaudette get's sent down - understand sports - they need to win the first game out of the gate and who helps them with that/ - Gaudette

Gaudette needs some work defensively still. A costly mistake could cost us the game. He won't be getting the same minutes that he did in preseason to produce as we will have the full compliment of our top 6 pushing his line to the "3rd line" which may affect his offensive output to start the season. There's no guarantee that we win game 1 because he's in the lineup.

We won the first game out of the gate last season and we didn't make the playoffs.  Schaller, while I agree that I thought he would be waived, does have chemistry with Beagle. He is a solid PKer. No guarantee he costs us the game.

With that said, I do still think Schaller should be waived, but I also don't think Gaudette cracks the opening night roster. He will lock a spot this season at some point, but it's just a matter of injuries or a trade opening up that spot.

Goldobin and Eriksson have done nothing in preseason to earn a spot on the team and neither of them plays Green's gritty, hard forechecking style.  Schaller and Virtanen at least have the potential to do this, which is why I think they will edge out Goldobin and Eriksson for the 13th and 14th forward spots and stay with the team (in the pressbox to start).  Gaudette will stay and will start on the third line, mostly likely on the wing, with Sutter and Baertschi.  Motte is totally a Green type of player and Green loves him.  He's also an ideal 4th line energy player.  There's absolutely no way the Canucks reward his hard work by waiving him.  He'll start the season on the 4th line with Beagle and Leivo...mark my words!!:emot-parrot:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I don't like the lineup and agree with you, just guessing at what I think Green is going to do.    

3 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

Briesbois still being there says a lot to me.

If we're being completely honest.......if Gaudette has earned a spot, then so has Breezer.  He's played better than Biega and Stretcher and probably as good or better than QH.

I liked the chemistry of Baer and Gaudette and think both have earned a spot. My line up would be

Ferland Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller 

Baerschi Sutter Gaudette 

Virtanen Beagle Motte 

Leivo as the extra forward and I know Gaudette normally plays centre but i think he can adjust. (they should have tried him on wing during preseason) 

In season, i think we are trading Sutter and moving Gaudette to C unless the lines are firing on all cylinders. 

• Upvote 2