The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

me either.  hes going to be a C long term for the team so that will be where he plays.  If he stays itll probably shift Sutter to the wing, which suits his game a little better anyways

Yes, Sutter was pretty good on the wing.  And never hurts to have extra guys out there who can take faceoffs.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Yes, Sutter was pretty good on the wing.  And never hurts to have extra guys out there who can take faceoffs.

Would probably open up the usage Gaudette would see as Sutter would could take D zone faceoffs when they are paired up.  

EP and Bo will be getting most of the O zone and neutral zone faceoffs.  That wouldn't leave a lot of shifts for him if his line isn't starting in the D zone fairly frequently.

27 minutes ago, J-P said:

Don’t get the rational for people saying AG could/should play wing. He’s spent 0 shifts this preseason at wing, not happening. 

I think the rationale is that Gaudette has earned a spot on the team and they don't want to cut him just because there are 4 centres ahead of him who they aren't going to cut and maybe can't trade.  So, until one of them gets injured or does get traded (i.e., Sutter), there's nothing wrong with letting a young centre ease into the NHL by playing on the wing for awhile.  Of course, as others have suggested, Sutter might be moved to wing as well.  Depends on whether Green likes having the veteran at centre rather than the rookie.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, stawns said:

no it doesn't.........people take that stuff way to literal.  Plenty of teams have sent players down for waiver exemption reasons.  Sucks for AG if it happens, but players understand the ramifications of the cap world.

I disagree. You send the wrong message when you drop players to the minors for those situations. The best players need to play. Plain and simple. If you are a bubble player and don’t even try then a good team will cut you. That’s how it ought to be. Cap or no cap. Makes JB’s job a bit more difficult but it’s the right thing to do.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I disagree. You send the wrong message when you drop players to the minors for those situations. The best players need to play. Plain and simple. If you are a bubble player and don’t even try then a good team will cut you. That’s how it ought to be. Cap or no cap. Makes JB’s job a bit more difficult but it’s the right thing to do.

You have to consider depth and asset management too though. Gaudette doesn't require waivers and can play around 20 minutes in the AHL work on his faceoff skills and be ready as first call up if a trade or injury opens up a spot. 

He is NHL ready as a winger at worst right now though. But I would understand why he starts in the AHL if it comes to that. It's nowhere near as bad as people on here make it out to be the players all understand that you have to consider depth and asset management decisions as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is a good sign that they are at least on the ice. I’m sure this was all a modified practice session for them. Looks like they both might be ready for the start of the season! :towel:

It will be close for sure Brock could be ready by the 2nd/3rd game at the latest if his progression is positive. As for Fantenberg not as big of a deal as he is likely the number 7 dman anyway. 

8 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

What is management smoking. Virtanen and Schaller/Loui above Baertschi. 

maybe they are trying to move sven.  maybe they haven’t decided on who they are moving between eriksson or schaller?  i see them waving goldobin, one of eriksson or schaller and sending adam down. one trade could change the course of history. 

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Quote bypasses censors. Edited.
  • Cheers 2