The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I know what you're saying, but Edler shooting instead of passing is similar to the idea of football teams continuing to run the football despite getting very little yardage -- by respecting the run it opens up the passing game. Same thing for hockey, if Tanev was on the first unit powerplay you know he's gonna pass it off to Boeser/Pettersson all the time, so the opposing PK unit would have those passing lanes covered. Edler, on the other hand, has a respectable shot. With Ferland or Miller in front of the net causing havoc and pouncing on rebounds, having a defenseman that has a respectable shot and who can get it through the first layer of defenders will add another threat to the offense, should BB6 and EP40 be covered.

The same reason is why I'm excited for Juolevi once he makes the big club and is manning the point on the powerplay. Juolevi has that "seeing eye" wrister from the point, the mobility to walk the blue line and open up passing lanes, and a deceptive no look tape-to-tape pass.

So taking 4 shots in a row and not bothering to pass it to an open Brock or Elias then having the puck leave the zone and create a line change, when they could of spent more time in the offensive zone with the top PP if Edler just passed it instead, is like football you say? LOL WHAT? 

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Did you actually watch any of the games or just go by stats.....

Yes ... I watched the game, and the PP went 4 for 7.  Edler got 4 points that game .... 1 Goal, 3 assists.  I think he played well on the PP that game.  You can't just pass all the time, you have to be a threat to shoot also, or the PK will just cheat on either side knowing that you won't shoot.  You're just being biased on what Edler has done in the past.  That game the PP was on fire, and if you can't see that, you might want to get your eyes checked.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Viper007 said:

Yes ... I watched the game, and the PP went 4 for 7.  Edler got 4 points that game .... 1 Goal, 3 assists.  I think he played well on the PP that game.  You can't just pass all the time, you have to be a threat to shoot also, or the PK will just cheat on either side knowing that you won't shoot.  You're just being biased on what Edler has done in the past.  That game the PP was on fire, and if you can't see that, you might want to get your eyes checked.

If you can't seem to see Edlers flaws and believe all because of a pre season because he got 4 points in the game that he's going to be a superstar now, then I would suggest that you go check out clearly contacts and grab a new pair of glasses, then you can see it more clearly again this year.

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If you can't seem to see Edlers flaws and believe all because of a pre season because he got 4 points in the game that he's going to be a superstar now, then I would suggest that you go check out clearly contacts and grab a new pair of glasses, then you can see it more clearly again this year.

You posted based on the preseason, and that unit had played only 1 game.  You're the one changing the criteria now.

I'll throw this last one out there, I find it hilarious how many posters were on Edlers case last year and not passing it to Brock on the PP, many posters complained about Edler and being slow and always drawing penalties because he can't catch the man beating him anymore. Then Edler re-signs for more money and everyone praises it as this great contract, so people were on his case last year and now he makes more money and what people randomly believe he's getting better then last year then now... Lol okay good luck with that :lol:

• Wat 4

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The problem with Edler which I saw in the preseason, instead of trying to use Pettersson or Brock more he decided to just throw it on the net, now don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to do that, but when you do it 3 or 4 times in a row and still don't pass it to your better shooters then that's a problem. It does seem Edler is second guessing himself to make the pass to either one, or he's just to slow to react anymore, so having a young guy in Hughes who already has shown his passing abilities it really makes sense to have the more agile quicker younger player there imo.

And people can't really use the excuse that Edlers experience and leadership is the backbone on that PP so things don't go wrong, would be a complete lie because I see it every year he ALWAYS gets burned by the other teams forward and can never catch him instead just tries to slash and hook him because he can't keep up and then draws a penalty there goes the PP, get a younger player who's quicker in decisions and speed, who can cut down on mistakes and even catch a player after a mistake.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never said he was going to be a superstar.  I just said that the PP went 4 for 7 which is fact.  I'm sure eventually Hughes will be a better fit on the PP1, but you can't blame the Canucks for going with that unit first and trying it out, considering it worked pretty well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I believe you're thinking about 2 years ago, because he was definitely our #1 D man last year, and alot of people were eating crow about how well he played last year.

He has been consistently our best D-man for some years, now. The -39 Torts' year was bad, but he improved since then. People seem to still have that season as Edler's standard.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'll throw this last one out there, I find it hilarious how many posters were on Edlers case last year and not passing it to Brock on the PP, many posters complained about Edler and being slow and always drawing penalties because he can't catch the man beating him anymore. Then Edler re-signs for more money and everyone praises it as this great contract, so people were on his case last year and now he makes more money and what people randomly believe he's getting better then last year then now... Lol okay good luck with that :lol:

Not everyone thinks giving Edler a 1m raise and full nmc was a wise move tho. JB should've played hardball with him, Edler didnt want to play anywhere else it should have led to us getting him to take a paycut in my honest opinion.

But such is life, 2 years then hopefully that is it. I am sure people will say he deserves to have his # retired by the Canucks after his playing career. I don't, I think you need to win some kind of NHL hardware for that. Of course he is going to lead D stats with the years of service he has on the team

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I never said he was going to be a superstar.  I just said that the PP went 4 for 7 which is fact.  I'm sure eventually Hughes will be a better fit on the PP1, but you can't blame the Canucks for going with that unit first and trying it out, considering it worked pretty well.

it was also pre season no?

4 hours ago, Viper007 said:

The Canucks went 4-7 on the PP the game Edler was on this unit.  What game were you watching?

Well, just when they went on a drought, they were about to change PP unit, they score and they keep on playing together for another 10 games and just when they just about to change up, they scored a PP goal and play together for another 10 games.  They keep repeating and thinking that it will work if you stay on the same players for umpteen of games.  The Canucks has long history with drought on PP for long stretch with Edler as a QB of the PP.   They can break out with two or three PP goals in one game then went back on drought.  I have seen that same movie all over again.

Edited by coolboarder

3 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Well, just when they went on a drought, they were about to change PP unit, they score and they keep on playing together for another 10 games and just when they just about to change up, they scored a PP goal and play together for another 10 games.  They keep repeating and thinking that it will work if you stay on the same players for umpteen of games.  The Canucks has long history with drought on PP for long stretch with Edler as a QB of the PP.   They can break out with two or three PP goals in one game then went back on drought.  I have seen that same movie all over again.

Still need to start off with a group that scored 4 PP goals in a game.  After that, it's all hands on deck.  But I can't disagree with them starting out with that unit.

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

I'm interested to know what preseason games he was watching. Was complete opposite if what everyone else saw 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:28 PM, stawns said:

If they're going to push for the playoffs I believe they'll want to run a tweener third line, with Sutter, that can chip in but leans much more to the defensive side.  

More importantly, a more defensive third line means Bo focuses more on offense.  If they move Sutter, then Bo is back to taking a LOT of faceoffs and a good chance no of them in the defensive zone.

What if Beagle gets hurt and you don't have Sutter?

You go on a 13 game losing streak.

Edited by mikkim
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

What is management smoking. Virtanen and Schaller/Loui above Baertschi. 

Yeah I like the playmaking ability Baer brings he can make the third line so much friggin better mr Lahie, there’s no way L.erickskin or Schaller deserve to be above Sven. 

Edited by Roger Neilsons Towel
Quote bypassed censors. Edited.