The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I actually dont believe Bo is the right fit for canucks captian.

Sorry Guys

BETTER OFF TO WAIT 2 MORE YEARS AND NAME PETTERSSON

2 reasons.

Main reason. Bo is soft.... sorry to say it he doesn't stand up for the guys.... hes alot of talk no action.  For example...When that boeser hit happened..... bo could have stood up and made a big check or a fight and showed the team he the leader will not stand for it. And showed them by example what is expected of the team in those situations. Instead..... crickets.

Reason 2... when your best player is not your captian it can cause serious locker room problems. Bo is a great player but hes not pettersson.

So you start by saying that Bo is soft because when Boeser was hit he didn't "stand" up for him, but then you say Petey should be even though he also did nothing??

Toews was and is the captain of Chicago and I think they did just fine with him as Captain despite Kane being the better player.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I actually dont believe Bo is the right fit for canucks captian.

Sorry Guys

BETTER OFF TO WAIT 2 MORE YEARS AND NAME PETTERSSON

2 reasons.

Main reason. Bo is soft.... sorry to say it he doesn't stand up for the guys.... hes alot of talk no action.  For example...When that boeser hit happened..... bo could have stood up and made a big check or a fight and showed the team he the leader will not stand for it. And showed them by example what is expected of the team in those situations. Instead..... crickets.

Reason 2... when your best player is not your captian it can cause serious locker room problems. Bo is a great player but hes not pettersson.

And re: the bolded part... You're wrong you've never played organized sports.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That would be the worst 4th line in the NHL.  The wingers don't kill penalties and can't play defense...

how would that be the worst? Baertschi & Gaudette is a way better combo than Eriksson & Schaller. they even proved it in the preseason.

5 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

So you start by saying that Bo is soft because when Boeser was hit he didn't "stand" up for him, but then you say Petey should be even though he also did nothing??

Toews was and is the captain of Chicago and I think they did just fine with him as Captain despite Kane being the better player.

I gave you a upvote for the discussion.... instead of the man crush pop throwing of some of the other guys. 

Hey I just see it diffrence... there's a  diffrence between entering a team with a legacy captian... or one being chosen when your clearly better in your first year.

Your right in some scenarios it can work.... but more often that not... it's not usually how it works. Look around the nhl.

Sand you wont change my mind horvat got no snarl when needed..

I'm sure hes a nice guy.. but no oomph. Cheers

2 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I gave you a upvote for the discussion.... instead of the man crush pop throwing of some of the other guys. 

Hey I just see it diffrence... there's a  diffrence between entering a team with a legacy captian... or one being chosen when your clearly better in your first year.

Your right in some scenarios it can work.... but more often that not... it's not usually how it works. Look around the nhl.

Sand you wont change my mind horvat got no snarl when needed..

I'm sure hes a nice guy.. but no oomph. Cheers

Hey you're entitled to your opinion so you do you. We'll agree to disagree here.

There's actually lots of cases of the captain not being the best player on the team in the NHL now.

Boston - Chara, Calgary - Giordano(this one is arguable), Chicago - Toews, Colorado - Landeskog, Columbus - Foligno.. I'm sure I missed a few more here. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Hey you're entitled to your opinion so you do you. We'll agree to disagree here.

There's actually lots of cases of the captain not being the best player on the team in the NHL now.

Boston - Chara, Calgary - Giordano(this one is arguable), Chicago - Toews, Colorado - Landeskog, Columbus - Foligno.. I'm sure I missed a few more here. 

Going back in time just off the top of my head

Sakic as C over Forsberg

Messier C over Gretzky

Bucyk  C over Orr

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Benn, Koivu, Weber, Greene, Lee, Wheeler, Stamkos (Obviously that one is debatable as he was the best person on Tampa when he was named captain but he's since been eclipsed). 

So yeah, it's far from set in stone that your captain should be your most talented player or the guy who gets the most points on a team. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Roberts said:

how would that be the worst? Baertschi & Gaudette is a way better combo than Eriksson & Schaller. they even proved it in the preseason.

Gaudette was great in the preaseason, and Baertschi was lucky to have such a line mate. From what I heard, Baertschi was hesitant taking hits in the preseason, and that cost him the spot. He still has concussion concerns he needs to work through.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Benn, Koivu, Weber, Greene, Lee, Wheeler, Stamkos (Obviously that one is debatable as he was the best person on Tampa when he was named captain but he's since been eclipsed). 

So yeah, it's far from set in stone that your captain should be your most talented player or the guy who gets the most points on a team. 

Yeah thanks. I knew I was missing a few but I just added the ones I could remember off the top of my head

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Remember when Jason Smith captained the Oilers to the finals? He was not even close to their best player. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Going back in time just off the top of my head

Sakic as C over Forsberg

Messier C over Gretzky

Bucyk  C over Orr

9 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Yeah thanks. I knew I was missing a few but I just added the ones I could remember off the top of my head

11 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Sorry guys... let me rephrase.... the captian doesn't always need to be the best player.... however the best player usually has the best work ethic and highest compete level. These are things that can lead a team. 

I'm not saying a lesser player cant.... but the lesser player needs to bring something to the table. And all those guys listed are better than bo...

Like I said my issue with Bo... is that I dont think he has enough snarl and umph or compete level for captiancy.... he not a drag the team through the trenches kinda guy.I see him tuck tale often. If you disagree all the power to you but that what I see....... and I dont think he has the skill and compete to name him captian with having a lack of umph.

In my opinion you look at cup winning teams leadership.... there very diffrent from bo.

Disagree is cool but dont try to wage war on one thing I said.

Edited by Snapshot85

11 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Sorry guys... let me rephrase.... the captian doesn't always need to be the best player.... however the best player usually has the best work ethic and highest compete level. These are things that can lead a team. 

I'm not saying a lesser player cant.... but the lesser player needs to bring something to the table. And all those guys listed are better than bo...

Like I said my issue with Bo... is that I dont think he has enough snarl and umph or compete level for captiancy.... he not a drag the team through the trenches kinda guy.I see him tuck tale often. If you disagree all the power to you but that what I see....... and I dont think he has the skill and compete to name him captian with having a lack of umph.

In my opinion you look at cup winning teams leadership.... there very diffrent from bo.

Disagree is cool but dont try to wage war on one thing I said.

Well, you've already move the goalposts from "the captain needs to be the best player on the team otherwise it creates problems in the locker room" to "the captain doesn't need to be the best player but...."

I disagree with your assertion that Bo isn't a leader because he didn't try to kill Tierney in a preseason game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Elias is 20 and is still learning English. Make him captain? lol, this place cracks me up sometimes 

Read the post... I diddnt say today.... I said in a few years. Besides the English...it would be way to much pressure on a new player

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Elias is 20 and is still learning English. Make him captain? lol, this place cracks me up sometimes 

I mean it's nothing to laugh at really. I don't think he's ready yet but he has all the qualities to be a great captain down the road. 

That being said, I think Horvat is easily the better captain now and it's not really close.

I think Pettersson would be a lot better off not having to shoulder captaincy responsibilities anyways. Especially as like you said, he's still learning English.

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

Read the post... I diddnt say today.... I said in a few years. Besides the English...it would be way to much pressure on a new player

There's that too, the captain has to address the media after games, sometimes after really tough losses. They aren't going to throw Elias into the fire like that.

• Cheers 1