The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

"We" means our GM and owner right?  It's the GM's job (or one of his jobs) to see a player's decline before it happens.  Then trade that player.  It's the NMC and NTC that make the matter really hard though.  

Yes, but not impossible, as history has shown

1 hour ago, Snapshot85 said:

Like I said my issue with Bo... is that I dont think he has enough snarl and umph or compete level for captiancy.... he not a drag the team through the trenches kinda guy.

Are you talking about the same Bo? Because we’re talking about Bo

Horvat, who plays for the Vancouver Canucks.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Messier was never the captain over Gretzky. He took over when Gretzky was traded.  Unless you are talking about the Rangers where Messier was already the captain and led them to a Cup before Gretzky even joined them.  

Was referring to the Rangers correct 

I'm very happy that the boys cleared waivers, I did not want to lose any of them. It will be very interesting to see what Goldy does down there, if he lets the demotion get the better of him or works his ass off to get back in the league. I have no doubt we will see Sven again. Not long now boys :canucks::emot-parrot::canucks:

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, you deserve a little flack for that comment....lol

I know  what you mean, a captain has to be able to lead by example, and be able one that all look up to.

Pettersson, would be a great Captain, as his skill and dedication are exemplary, his focus crazy

But to Bo credit, he is much the same, with a more robust style of play that gets a lot of attention around the league

He will make a great Captain, as Petey will make a  great assistant Captain

I don't think you could go wrong either way, it is just that Bo has been leading by example for some time here

I think he has the fellas confidence

Just my opinion of course

Enjoy your roasting......better you than me!

I agree with snapshot 85.

this place is full of catchphrases like Leading By Example.

What example has Bo shown? 

Shapshot 85 has given an example of non-leadership or would you prefer to call it Sedin-leadership... punch me again leadership

What is an example of Bo's leadership that puts him at the head of the team?

Personally I'd prefer 2 years of Beagle, then re-assess

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Bo has been given a lot of different players to play with, no consistency, yet does he complain?  Nope.  He's asked to play in all situations.  First it was offense.  He improves his offensive game.  Oh no injuries have hit.  We need you to be our defensive shutdown guy.  No worries, he does that too, while getting points.  Oh we need you to take all the important faceoffs.  No problem, Bo will just lead the NHL in that category while also winning most of them.  Bo just goes out and does what a leader does, by being an example.  Bo shows a work ethic, and improves his game every single year.  Bo is counted on in every situation.  If that's not a leader, I don't know what is.  I doubt Travis Green will be leaning on EP to play defensively as much as Bo.  Even teammates call him Cap already.  He's got the respect of management, coaches, and most of all his teammates, and most of us fans also.  

Bo is Captain Canuck, and it will be well deserved!

yup and it's pretty clear that the players look at him as the leader, and that's really what counts.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Rush17 said:

When it comes to the playoffs 

I'd rather have Pearson over Baer. NHL playoff xp, size, grit. Playoff scoring.

We are a more playoff like team now. Need size and skill to win. We got both

1st we need to get to the playoff lol if we are playing a playoff type of hockey from oct all the way to april i think we'd wear out well before we even make it to the TDL

7 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Twitter GMs have shut the &^@# up for the the time being until they figure out a new angle to be mad about. 

I imagine they'll move on to complaining about the captaincy. Not who gets it, mind you, but the timing of the announcement. 

Well I for one will admit to being wrong about Baer not clearing....maybe.....he may still need to clear re-entry waivers ...which is when teams that want him would wait until to take him...

48 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Are you talking about the same Bo? Because we’re talking about Bo

Horvat, who plays for the Vancouver Canucks.

THe problemI see with Bo Horvat who plays for the Canucks is that he was ushered into the league under Sedin/Willie/ Green tutledge. YOu can add Trevor and Jim to that list. Pasicifists every one.

It is 6 years since Torts was brought in to create a culture change, but the Sedin culturer outlived the Torts culture and the Horvat culture looks not different than the Sedin culture. So where is the change?

In the last 6 years there have been a small handful of aggressive players,Sestito, Dorsett, Beagle, Roussell and hopefully Ferland. Ferland is the only one able to play up the line up. And then there is Schaller, Ericksson, Goldy, Hutton and Virtanen, where is the leadership driving those players to buy in and greatness? 

I was on Bo's side for a whole but the longer it goes the less likely I think he is capable of creating a new culture of "all for one and one for all"

It seems like Justin Willaims could go into Carolina last year a create a winning culture over night

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Bo has been given a lot of different players to play with, no consistency, yet does he complain?  Nope.  He's asked to play in all situations.  First it was offense.  He improves his offensive game.  Oh no injuries have hit.  We need you to be our defensive shutdown guy.  No worries, he does that too, while getting points.  Oh we need you to take all the important faceoffs.  No problem, Bo will just lead the NHL in that category while also winning most of them.  Bo just goes out and does what a leader does, by being an example.  Bo shows a work ethic, and improves his game every single year.  Bo is counted on in every situation.  If that's not a leader, I don't know what is.  I doubt Travis Green will be leaning on EP to play defensively as much as Bo.  Even teammates call him Cap already.  He's got the respect of management, coaches, and most of all his teammates, and most of us fans also.  

Bo is Captain Canuck, and it will be well deserved!

hear, hear.

It's a slam dunk for 53

• Cheers 1