The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think money might come into factor for who makes it and who doesn’t.

gaudette has earned a spot but he’s easy to send down cause he’ll be the first call up and he doesn’t require waivers

goldy make it just cause he only makes 900k 

schaller and eriksson will get sent down is my guess 

4th line and 13th forward 

Motte-beagle-leivo

goldy

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

What in the world justifies keeping Eriksson?   his pk stats or defensive play?  Is that it?

There are Prospects or players who could develop or offer more than Eriksson if given that spot..

Eriksson to me is becoming a “privileged” player..  He is not worthy of even a 4th line role with less than 10 hits a season.

The games speed and skill has passed this player.. he “trails” the game and is lucky to get seagull opportunities.

LOL....I love you man! No Holds barred! LOL

Look, and I say this respectfully, in a perfect world, I would not have Eriksson here, but that is because his Pay and play do not match......

Is he an Offensive weapon.....no! But as you pointed put his PK and defensive stats are acceptable...……..

The truth is, it will cost too much to get rid of him, and he does provide an veteran presence, which is good to have on a team

I am no way claiming him as the second coming of Burrows or anyone for that matter, I think I am just stating the obvious reality...…….

He will be here for the rest of the year...……...now, if Benning finds a way to get rid of him, that doesn't cost too much...……..

I am all for it!

But in the mean time, a line of Roussel, Sutter and Eriksson, I believe would be very hard to play against

Which is why I put him there...……..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think Goldy’s been at least as good as Leivo, Virtanen, Motte and Pearson so far.  Goldobin needs a couple bounces to go his way to get his confidence back. He’s a totally different player when he’s confident, he looked Pettersson lite the first part of last season. He hit as many posts as anyone in the league last year too. He’s shown more hustle and defensive awareness this year. He should get a few games atleast. Hard to really bring it in pre season when the intensity is low and half the players on each team don’t care. Also nice to have an actual offensive talent to slot in incase of injuries. I do agree that his time is running out fast though. I feel like him and Virtanen are just immature mentally and need extra time before they finally mature and it clicks. But if it ever does they can both be special players. 

• Upvote 3

Gaudette has more than earned his spot. He’s played much better than Virtanen, Goldobin, Eriksson and Sutter. He’s also much more NHL-ready than Virtanen and McCann when they played their rookie years with us. 

If he gets sent down, it’ll be because of his waiver eligibility, which is a shame because it takes away from the whole notion of earning your spot in training camp. 

Edited by guntrix

I think that Eriksson will be cut based on his history in last few seasons where he did not live up to the contract that we paid him with 30 goals seasons before he joined the Canucks.  Maybe this team is a wrong team for him to play with and is not a fit.  If nobody is willing to trade for him, put him on a waiver and hope that he would be taken by a team and teams would be hesitate to claim Eriksson because of his cap hit and most teams are near the cap and only a handful of teams do have the cap room but will not take him because teams would rather to play their young players.   They do not want to become stuck with his contract in next three seasons. 

Hence is the reason why Eriksson won't be claimed and the Canucks do need to keep a few guys to further develop their game rather than lose them through the waivers.  Gaudette will make the team, not because he is not ready, he is ready and his work ethics impressed the coach staff and the management team and would reward him to make the team and give their prospects some moviation to work very hard in the summer and give them opportunity to make the team out of the training camp in the future.   If Gaudette doesn't make the team, it will also show the prospects from afar off that they don't matter and might not be so motivate to work very hard in the summer regardless of the depth chart in the future because history has shown that this team is a veterans proven players and difficult to crack in the line-up based on the seniority.  I think that the management team would want to change this perception and show them the stick on the carrot approach with their philosophy, if they are good enough to make the team, they will make room for him regardless of their salary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Gaudette has more than earned his spot. He’s played much better than Virtanen, Goldobin, Eriksson and Sutter. He’s also much more NHL-ready than Virtanen and McCann when they played their rookie years with us. 

If he gets sent down, it’ll be because of his waiver eligibility, which is a shame because it takes away from the whole notion of earning your spot in training camp. 

Hockey Gaud is 23.  Jake and Jarred were 18.  

Love the Gaud though.  He should make the team, and Loui the lump should be sent packing with Schaller.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I think Goldy’s been at least as good as Leivo, Virtanen, Motte and Pearson so far.  Goldobin needs a couple bounces to go his way to get his confidence back. He’s a totally different player when he’s confident, he looked Pettersson lite the first part of last season. He hit as many posts as anyone in the league last year too. He’s shown more hustle and defensive awareness this year. He should get a few games atleast. Hard to really bring it in pre season when the intensity is low and half the players on each team don’t care. Also nice to have an actual offensive talent to slot in incase of injuries. I do agree that his time is running out fast though. I feel like him and Virtanen are just immature mentally and need extra time before they finally mature and it clicks. But if it ever does they can both be special players. 

Virtanen might be fighting for ice time, but he is not fighting for a job.  He will jump around in the top 9 throughout the season

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Prospects to watch this year

DiPietro...…….He is young, but I do not think he will be a NHL goalie (Sorry!) but he has the talent, just not the size. In saying that, players like him have had to 

fight their whole life to prove themselves.....DiPietro has done that. Here is to hoping I am wrong.

Rathbone...…..Well, he played with Fox last year, and showed very well. Let's see what he has when he is the top dog. I have a nagging question with Rathbone

Which is, being that Fox did not sign with his draft club and with the apparent depth at LHD that the Canucks have, will he even sign with us? I am 

hoping for big things with him this year, but I see him as a trading chip if he does. (Call me crazy!) Things change, let's see what happens.

Madden...…….Great motor, smart, with great instincts. He will be interesting to watch. I hope he puts on some weight. He had a great first year, in the NCAA

I hope he keeps on building on it, he could be our 3rd line center, if Gaudette moves to wing.....nice to have choices!

Lind...…………Second year pro, that finished off last season much better. I think he looked great in our camps and pre-season. If he can continue his development

and get a center to play with, I think he is a player you might see in 2 years. I have more faith in him than most. But I also know, that as long as this

year has more improvement, that he has a chance. There is nothing wrong with a player taking 3/4 years to develop in the AHL.

Woo...…...…….I am hoping he keeps on developing his offense. Last year, he just was not that far behind Montreal's Josh Brooks, who played on the U-20 National

Team. I am hoping to see Jet, keep on developing. I thought he had a great development camp. A lot of hopes are pinned on him.

Podkolzon and Hoglander………...both high end, skilled players...…...there is a lot to be excited about with these 2. Both will create a lot of discussion this year.

Keppen and Focht……….I think Benning picked another couple of gems...….will be fun to see if they develop as they progress...…...consider them Bonus's

Let's not forget Toni Utunen.  He is quietly developing into Finland's #1 defenseman (Junior) .... always been sound defensively,  but lately adding some offense to his game.  And he is another of those "character players" that Benning loves to draft. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Just paper him down to Utica, he'll safely clear waivers. Saves a spot to evaluate our options. Take a longer look at Goldy Gaudette or Schaller.

In all seriousness, what stops the Canucks for "sending" Loui down, and then paying him to stay in Van and not playing him whatsoever?

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is true.  So imagine cutting a cheque to player for $4 million and then 2 months later he is on your 3rd line in Utica?  That's the problem.  I thought it would be an easy call to send him down, but now I'm thinking if he's even playing half decent he will stay with the big club.  Goldobin not doing anything is making the decision a lot easier.

The other thing is as the GM you have to walk into the owner's office and say....thanks for signing 21 turns out I was wrong. Can we dump him?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

In all seriousness, what stops the Canucks for "sending" Loui down, and then paying him to stay in Van and not playing him whatsoever?

They need the roster spot to try out Gaudette/schaller/Goldobin

we already know what LE brings

And yes send him to Utica is just as good.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Haha 1

For all those people wanting Gaudette to be on the team.  Sure hes been good enough to be on the main team, but for what ... to play only 10 min. a night on the 4th line?? He would be better served playing 19-20 min. a night being the #1 centre on Utica, playing in all situations.  It'll be a waste of time having him on the big club ... just like Jake was in his first year.  He needs to play more minutes to develop faster.  

If he was to earn a spot in the top 6 with lots of playing time, then I'd say keep him up with the big club, but I don't see him beating anybody out for a spot in the top 6.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They need the roster spot to try out Gaudette/schaller/Goldobin

we already know what LE brings

And yes send him to Utica is just as good.

Oh yea I get that. I am more talking about "sending" Loui down. AKA Loui you are going down, now stay home and don't report to the AHL.

• Upvote 1

Seems pretty obvious ;

gaudette sent to utica; first call up when a center gets injured 

goldobin traded or waived; hasn’t showed any improvements from last year playing against AHL players in pre season 

Macewen sent to utica 

schailer waived 

Biega waived and clears; they won’t waive Fantengerg after just signing him as a free agent he will be in the press box as our extra defenceman 

ferland Petterson boeser

baertshi/Pearson horvat  Miller 

Baertshi/Pearson Sutter Leivo

Ericcson beagle Virtanen 

(motte) 

edler myers 

hughes Tanev 

Benn Stetcher 

(fantenberg) 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Seems pretty obvious ;

gaudette sent to utica; first call up when a center gets injured 

goldobin traded or waived; hasn’t showed any improvements from last year playing against AHL players in pre season 

Macewen sent to utica 

schailer waived 

Biega waived and clears; they won’t waive Fantengerg after just signing him as a free agent he will be in the press box as our extra defenceman 

ferland Petterson boeser

baertshi/Pearson horvat  Miller 

Baertshi/Pearson Sutter Leivo

Ericcson beagle Virtanen 

(motte) 

edler myers 

hughes Tanev 

Benn Stetcher 

(fantenberg) 

Bingo...Erikkson vs Goldy. That's the issue. Comes down to cost benefit. Erikkson stays.