The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

M'gawd, this video reminds me of how Bo high fives everyone all last year off the ice. I'm sorry, but wtf is anyone thinking he's underserving?! 

Because him high fiving his teammates is him lobbying to be a captain and it's a disgusting act.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Very well said Rush I think people get caught up and emotional about certain players without looking at the big picture and look at the team as a whole. Who knows maybe Bo is the right man for the job and that will be great. However, I don't want to see a broken record and witness another generation of "gentlemanly" hockey for the next 10 years or so. If Bo can bring Linden type leadership then I will support him 100%. 

I have been an adamant supporter of Bo until I seen the relentless drive and competitiveness of a rookie in Petey. With his size and lack of NHL experience, he was able to compete at a very high level and fight through a lot of adversity and finishing checks at every opportunity. Bo, at times, exhibits the non-chalantness of his predecessor and lacks  intensity day in and day out. Maybe he ramps this up in the playoffs but we don't know that because we are not there yet. So , for this reason, I support your idea that we are being a little premature in choosing a Captain at this time.

I think this year we will see the leadership skills from our young guys and we may even see what they can do in the playoffs. I don't see what the big hurry is and would like to see at least another season to see where the team is at.

This is what Bo could provide. Petey isn't afraid to get in the mix, but I'd be shocked if he ever dropped the gloves in his career and I absolutely don't expect him to do so to gain more respect as it's not his game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

The discussion has become Pettersson vs Horvat?

If Pettersson started when Horvat did we mostly be leaning toward Pettersson.

It's tough when I look at it that way.

Bo was our beacon of hope during the unwinding of the last era. Be represented and still represents the start of the next generation. We just got Pettersson now Quinn.

I wish the media wasn't so all in on the first guy. I agree with some of the other comments it's likely not Hughes or Boeser but you never know. These guys are all still kids. Bo is the only real physically mature adult in this new core.

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The discussion has become Pettersson vs Horvat?

If Pettersson started when Horvat did we mostly be leaning toward Pettersson.

It's tough when I look at it that way.

It certainly would be more debatable had they started at the same time, but the reality is they didn't, so the decision is easy at this point. EP could don the A (in a couple of years) with as much pride and I doubt he would be disappointed. If nothing much gets accomplished during Horvat's captaincy, then there could certainly be a switch. Look at what happened in SJ and there was no bad blood there because their media/fanbase didn't turn it into one.

Another option is a rotating captaincy, but that seems too wishy washy and they should just make a decision and stick with it.

EP outproducing Bo at 19 is phenomenal. It makes me wonder how good EP will be at Bo's age.

Boeser has a track record of being a great leader. I could see him as a legitimate candidate.

Hughes I see more as an A but maybe that's because I still view him as a rookie. He could be the next Scotty Niedermayer.

Great vid here from the NHL network on Petey.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

It certainly would be more debatable had they started at the same time, but the reality is they didn't, so the decision is easy at this point. EP could don the A (in a couple of years) with as much pride and I doubt he would be disappointed. If nothing much gets accomplished during Horvat's captaincy, then there could certainly be a switch. Look at what happened in SJ and there was no bad blood there because their media/fanbase didn't turn it into one.

Another option is a rotating captaincy, but that seems too wishy washy and they should just make a decision and stick with it.

When you look at Pettersson though it's hard not to make the argument.

He is mature beyond his years. Back at the awards when he was being interviewed and the interviewer was asking him about his tribute to JB, he started to get emotional, probably because Botch was one of his biggest early fans which he probably recognized. How he has become our best and most important player in his first season. Hell how he's stated that he wanted to play in Vancouver even as a child growing up and has pictures implying as such.

Man It's REALLY tough not to make the argument.

BTW lets not rotate captaincy, stick with one.

16 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I do not feel embarrassed. I stand by my belief that it is to early to name a captain with so many young core players just entering into the league. 

:lol:

I was frustrated yes. The hype around Bo being the chosen one is infuriating. I believe if you have a special player with the right mindset they should be considered for the role. I have cheered on Bo since day one. I remember his first NHL draw vs the Aves.. He is a good guy no doubt. I simply didn't understand the context of the tweet which then in turn makes me look like a fool. I am usually more researched on my posts but this time I was distracted well being out of the house. I do however feel frustrated and irritated by the sheer mass of people who want Bo as the next captain.

I believe Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes all could fill that role on this club. I think its a touch soon to be labelling Bo and I think it's unfair to the other core players. IMO Pettersson has the intensity, focus, and leadership that very few players have. He is hungry to be the best. You don't find players with high elite skill and that drive to be the best often. That belief and his ability to self actualize his play too me... makes me believe he will one day be a top 5 player one day in the league. Dare I say even higher. My post was off the cuff and I clearly had bias.

The love for Bo as Captain has really bothered me and I should have framed the post different. Targeting Bo was incorrect and I see that now. But.. I still do believe the media and us fans should take a chill pill and let things unfold as they are meant too. From every media piece ive heard over the years. I've listened to every single one of them... From the Sedins.. to Jim... to to Travis. None of them have felt Bo "is ready" and I get the impression my own interpretation that I don't think Bo is their first choice.

How Jim and Travis has described a captain to me it sounds more like 40 then 53. but that is just me. I should have changed the original post to something else after realizing I was wrong but I felt it was good to keep the convo going lol. I can careless about reputation. I am a straight shooter and I will always fire from the hip. I accept I misunderstood the context of the tweet! Same with his dads video i didn't realize it was a question lol. I put my own filter on it - but I personally don't feel his dad should of said anything on the subject. It bugs me he did. But he is only human so what can I expect? lol. I am a tad bit to idealisitic sometimes. 

I commend you for owning up. But where does your impression come from, that Sedins's first choice is not Bo? I'm surprised that the Sedins would give any indication on this matter one way or the other.

EP in few years would be a great captain as well but he has not earned it yet in my opinion.

The team needs a captain and I think among the core, the best choice is Horvat. In a few years, when EP does become the second coming of Gretzky like you think he will, we can always change the captain. Heck, we don't even know for sure if Bo is going to stay after his current contract or if he will be traded for that matter. After reading your post, I have started to wonder if I missed some dirt on Bo. Maybe he is a jacka$$.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bo for the time being.

8 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

No, I'm challenging the mob ... lol ... which is a no win sitch.

The thing is, there is an arguement against him being captain. Not because he isn't deserving or has all the qualities. It's just that there are others arriving that may be an equal or better fit. He was annointed C before any others arrived. That's not quite fair. I get that. 

I don't think it's as obvious as you say. We're seeing two sides of obvious. I could be totally wrong. I think the new future core hasn't completely arrived yet and the decision to hold off on the C reflects that. 

If I'm wrong and Bo is named C, I'm going to support that 150%. I'm just seeing it a bit differently, that's all. 

Love how you pose questions rather than label. I get where you're coming from. 

Do you really want to go without a captain for, say, a few extra years to wait and see if any of Brock, Petey, Hughes, or Demko turn into a better leader than Bo? Will any of those mentioned stand up and drop the gloves like Bo has? Bo has been groomed and this is his year. He can take Petey under his wing and hand it off one day, possibly, as has been done before many times in our team's history. 

Petey may turn into a great leader like Hank one day, but I think our fans are craving a Jerome Iginla-type leader, and that's Bo all the way.

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Mods are we able to shut this one down? :lol: 

The most intelligent thing you've said in this thread so far ;) I kid, I kid. I appreciate you owning your misinterpretations. 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is mature beyond his years. Back at the awards when he was being interviewed and the interviewer was asking him about his tribute to JB, he started to get emotional, probably because Botch was one of his biggest early fans which he probably recognized. How he has become our best and most important player in his first season. Hell how he's stated that he wanted to play in Vancouver even as a child growing up and has pictures implying as such.

Bo has been called mature beyond his years since Petey's age, which is why he's been groomed for so long. He's five years older and now married and been through many seasons of being mentored by our previous core. Petey has none of that experience. 

Also, I don't think your example of Petey getting emotional, although touching as it is, or his fandom, is what makes a player captain material.

Petey is our skilled saviour whereas Bo is our respected leader. 

• Upvote 2

This is Petey's team he has all the tools to be a great leader and will be a great Captain going forward better  than Horvat in every aspect  work ethic,personality,maturity handling media he's ready more so than Horvat. if Horvat was the man this would have been dealt with last season. teams need leaders on and off the ice and Petterssons that man.

Edited by Hockey101
  • Wat 4

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pettersson certainly has a lot of good attributes, much like Datsyuk for example. Datsyuk was never captain and the team won 2 Cups with him. It could've been more arguable for Datsyuk considering he did enter the league around the same time as Zetterberg. In this case, Bo has been in the league longer and that is just one of the things that puts him over the top at this point. Pettersson might make a great captain, but he likely will be an A while Bo is serving as captain. He knows it, and he's fine with it (if he's not, then it was probably a good choice to not make him a captain then anyway). There's no other reason why the fanbase/media should bother to create controversy otherwise. Everyone understands it's a leadership group and these are just letters. You can't go wrong with either decision, so usually seniority comes into play in this scenario (like you've said before if EP started at the same time, then the debate would be stronger, but doesn't negate Bo as a potential captain still).

Horvat is only 24, but seems like a seasoned vet (and with 6 years in the league already, truly is) because he too has been talked about being mature beyond his years. He has just recently represented the Canucks in the media tour because he's very good at handling them (and perhaps the Canucks decided he would be best to do so) and that is a key part of being a captain.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

EP outproducing Bo at 19 is phenomenal. It makes me wonder how good EP will be at Bo's age.

Boeser has a track record of being a great leader. I could see him as a legitimate candidate.

Hughes I see more as an A but maybe that's because I still view him as a rookie. He could be the next Scotty Niedermayer.

Great vid here from the NHL network on Petey.

Wow! Pretty awesome take. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, khay said:

I commend you for owning up. But where does your impression come from, that Sedins's first choice is not Bo? I'm surprised that the Sedins would give any indication on this matter one way or the other.

EP in few years would be a great captain as well but he has not earned it yet in my opinion.

The team needs a captain and I think among the core, the best choice is Horvat. In a few years, when EP does become the second coming of Gretzky like you think he will, we can always change the captain. Heck, we don't even know for sure if Bo is going to stay after his current contract or if he will be traded for that matter. After reading your post, I have started to wonder if I missed some dirt on Bo. Maybe he is a jacka$$.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bo for the time being.

I definitely don't think Bo is a jacka$$

The first time Horvat was asked the question he was grinning ear to ear and this was like a year maybe year a half before the sedins even retired.

To me since then it seems like he's been angling towards it. If you go back and watch the last two end of season press conferences you can see it.

I don't think Sutter was all that impressed a couple years ago when it all started too. Now he's fallen in line because his standing with the club is at an all time low. Sutter at that time was a key leadership member along with the twins.

Maybe it's the fact the sedins didn't feel he was ready yet. But from my interpretation it didn't sound from their tone and body language he was even close to ready for the role. 

I don't think Bos a bad guy but I'm sure he wants the C. Imo he's been angling towards it for a while.

24 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The first time Horvat was asked the question he was grinning ear to ear and this was like a year maybe year a half before the sedins even retired.

To me since then it seems like he's been angling towards it. If you go back and watch the last two end of season press conferences you can see it.

I don't think Sutter was all that impressed a couple years ago when it all started too. Now he's fallen in line because his standing with the club is at an all time low. Sutter at that time was a key leadership member along with the twins.

Maybe it's the fact the sedins didn't feel he was ready yet. But from my interpretation it didn't sound from their tone and body language he was even close to ready for the role. 

I don't think Bos a bad guy but I'm sure he wants the C. Imo he's been angling towards it for a while.

Even if he is  , why would u have a problem with that  exactly?  By ur logic , he should not show that he wants to be the leader of this team? I would be concerned if they were concidering him for it and he wasnt showing confidence or interest. I'm definitely not concerned if he is.

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Rush, if so why is that a bad thing? We should fill the team with players, who think they are good enough to be captain of the team. As long as it doesn't becomes an issue within the squad, thats surely, what we want?