The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

1.  I think you read way too much into things.

2.  We really don't need to create drama for our team...there's enough of that already.  (See the NHL "No Soap Operas" ad)

3.  "I think" and "my interpretation" are your first clues in that.

You seem to connect suspicious dots and motives with angling and grinning ear to ear stuff.  Perhaps he's just thrilled to even be considered?  And, if he is angling toward it, it only proves he really wants it...some (me) view that as a positive.

You could be right. Maybe I do read into things to closely. It's difficult to know for sure without inside information. Clearly talking about it doesn't help anyone. I will however stand by my support of giving the kids more time to establish themselves. At least one more year would be nice but I myself would be happy if we announced a captain this season. The whole uncertainty around it has become a massive talking point lol. I just want the Bo for C chat to stop. Either make him C already or wait until the next one is ready.

I think Petey is the guy. but I will 100% back Bo if he's named the captain. I will fall in line because I love this team and all I care about is its success. I really do love Bo as a player he has provided us all so much hope over these last few dark years. I'm just glad the reinforcements have arrived and we can even have these conversations about captaincy! 

I know Jim and Travis will make the right decision when that time comes. I am just excited to see someone dawn that C. I would support Alex Edler wearing it for the next 2 years if required but I feel  Bo's time should be this season or next. I can't see us without a captain beyond 20-21.

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Others are already putting it out there so, perhaps, rather than blaming Bo for angling consider that he's just rolling with it?  Accepting it (with obvious pride and anticipation)?

Can't see how you can pin anything negative on this guy.  Plus, why would we want to?

I'm definitely not trying to pin anything on anyone. Just was stating my concerns with how bad he wants it. On this team. Our team. My preference would be to have a leader who doesn't seek the position. What is that good old saying? Those who do not wish to be leaders are often the best leaders. 

I will support 100% what Jim and Travis decide. I am all in on the Canucks and fully support both of those hockey men. 

I just hope we can have some resolution on the matter in the near future.

Just now, Rush17 said:

I'm definitely not trying to pin anything on anyone. Just was stating my concerns with how bad he wants it. On this team. Our team. My preference would be to have a leader who doesn't seek the position. What is that good old saying? Those who do not wish to be leaders are often the best leaders. 

I will support 100% what Jim and Travis decide. I am all in on the Canucks and fully support both of those hockey men. 

I don't see what you are seeing. How is Bo "seeking" the captaincy? Because he thinks he'd be a good captain and thinks he is ready for the position that means he is actively seeking it? Nothing about him tells me he is actively trying to become captain (unless I put on my tinfoil hat and make baseless assumptions about his dad's comments). Nothing he has said tells me that either (again, I'll leave my tinfoil hat in the closet). And there is a reason so many people tie him to the captaincy and ask him specifically about being captain for this team, because he has been pretty much doing the captain duties with the media and stuff already.

• Upvote 4

On 9/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, cdubuya said:

not really sure what they are waiting for....

How does a Captain get chosen these days?  By the players, or is Management big in the decision?  Does time on the team matter?  (Well, it should have more with the disastrous Messier period, which is sort of on my mind.  Jordie Benn looks promising, but not at the expense of Horvat or even Beagle.) 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

I definitely don't think Bo is a jacka$$

The first time Horvat was asked the question he was grinning ear to ear and this was like a year maybe year a half before the sedins even retired.

To me since then it seems like he's been angling towards it. If you go back and watch the last two end of season press conferences you can see it.

I don't think Sutter was all that impressed a couple years ago when it all started too. Now he's fallen in line because his standing with the club is at an all time low. Sutter at that time was a key leadership member along with the twins.

Maybe it's the fact the sedins didn't feel he was ready yet. But from my interpretation it didn't sound from their tone and body language he was even close to ready for the role. 

I don't think Bos a bad guy but I'm sure he wants the C. Imo he's been angling towards it for a while.

dude  first you say oh I was in rush and misread the  information , and what ever lame excuse you came up with ,to defend your original post,. so now your coming up with this ? hmmm hasn't sutter been hurt for the last 2 years?  and perhaps bo  stepped it up in a leadership role because we know he stepped it up in a faceoffs  ,

the sedins  said he wasn't ready  ? when did they say that  ?  when hank was the captain ?  you know the sedins  joke around with a straight face , right  ,,  the last 2 years at press conferences   , where again he asked about the captaincy by the media  , is bo just blurting out I want to be the captain?  no  he isn't   ,   ever think bo is smiling because he might be a lil embarrassed or nervous at the question?    the only people that have been angling is the media  so perhaps take your frustrations , or whatever your deal is  out on the media , not at bo  .  

so since your  such an expert,   what should bo response be when asked about the captaincy ?     you have two choices     yes I would like to be some day  or no , way I want to be the captain  .     come on now   tell us what  the answer is to a loaded question that bo has had to face for 3 years   

• Upvote 3

Leaders will lead regardless of whether they have a letter on their jersey or not. Bo will lead, Petey will lead, Boeser will lead, Sutter,Beagle, Roussell, will all lead.

This thread started by saying,

Bo was lobbying for the Captaincy. False He responded to a question with grace and tact. a solid reason he should be the Captain.

Bo wasn't skilled enough to be the Captain, False he almost led the team in goals score despite having to take ALL the defensive responsibility face off wise

The team should wait until one of the younger guys can become the Captain, Why?  two reasons why not. One the new players may not ever get it, two the team needs its leader now.

The OP is obviously in favor of handing the C to Petterson. I see Petey's leadership on the ice also. But his media handling skills are not as good as Bo's. He hasn't been in front of the North American media enough to understand the pitfalls they will throw at you. We all have our favorite players on a team. Disregarding the skill set of another player to support your argument for your preferred captain doesn't gain you friends or influence in the argument. I think Petterson is going to be a great hockey player for us. He had a good season last year and has come back better prepared for this one.

The thing is we do not know what is being asked of the players behind closed doors. Who is the player that goes to pick up someone at the airport? Who is the player that organizes the trip to Children's hospital or Canuck place? Who is the player that stands up in the dressing room and speaks when needed. We the fans don't know this because we are not on the inside. Saying that Bo or Petterson is the leader from a fan perspective doesn't make it so. What matters to the team is the things that the player does to make it a TEAM. What matters is whose lead do the players follow? What matters is despite what we fans think or see is what do the insiders see. Waiting to name a captain based on new players coming in is nonsensical.

Horvat has been one of if not the best player on this team doing all the things asked of him with whomever the coach puts with him.  He has had the benefit of watching two of the best players/people this organization has ever had before him. His skill as a face off man is just as important as Petey's one timer. I for one am glad we have both of them on our team. I will not run Petey down to make a better argument for Horvat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

your not trying to pin anything on anyone ? , lol  you have been trying to pin bo on lobbying for the captaincy   here is another old saying  think before you post   

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Do you really want to go without a captain for, say, a few extra years to wait and see if any of Brock, Petey, Hughes, or Demko turn into a better leader than Bo? Will any of those mentioned stand up and drop the gloves like Bo has? Bo has been groomed and this is his year. He can take Petey under his wing and hand it off one day, possibly, as has been done before many times in our team's history. 

Petey may turn into a great leader like Hank one day, but I think our fans are craving a Jerome Iginla-type leader, and that's Bo all the way.

The most intelligent thing you've said in this thread so far ;) I kid, I kid. I appreciate you owning your misinterpretations. 

Bo has been called mature beyond his years since Petey's age, which is why he's been groomed for so long. He's five years older and now married and been through many seasons of being mentored by our previous core. Petey has none of that experience. 

Also, I don't think your example of Petey getting emotional, although touching as it is, or his fandom, is what makes a player captain material.

Petey is our skilled saviour whereas Bo is our respected leader. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Pettersson certainly has a lot of good attributes, much like Datsyuk for example. Datsyuk was never captain and the team won 2 Cups with him. It could've been more arguable for Datsyuk considering he did enter the league around the same time as Zetterberg. In this case, Bo has been in the league longer and that is just one of the things that puts him over the top at this point. Pettersson might make a great captain, but he likely will be an A while Bo is serving as captain. He knows it, and he's fine with it (if he's not, then it was probably a good choice to not make him a captain then anyway). There's no other reason why the fanbase/media should bother to create controversy otherwise. Everyone understands it's a leadership group and these are just letters. You can't go wrong with either decision, so usually seniority comes into play in this scenario (like you've said before if EP started at the same time, then the debate would be stronger, but doesn't negate Bo as a potential captain still).

Horvat is only 24, but seems like a seasoned vet (and with 6 years in the league already, truly is) because he too has been talked about being mature beyond his years. He has just recently represented the Canucks in the media tour because he's very good at handling them (and perhaps the Canucks decided he would be best to do so) and that is a key part of being a captain.

The thing is Bo never had that sort of impact early in his career. He didn't instantly change the dynamic of our team and become our best and most important player I also do think the fact that Petey showed respect to JB was qualities of a captain. He paid tribute to someone who was a supporter/fan of him early on showing a great appreciation. It was very humbling of him as he didn't need to say anything on the matter, especially on a platform such as the NHL Awards as a part of his Calder winning speech. It is a very good character quality.

As I have said if Petey started when Bo did then the majority would want him captain. It, personally makes me want to wait on something like this. Like I want to see who steps up and helps us get into the playoffs and then who steps up big time in the playoffs.

Dastyuk doesn't remind me of him when it comes to personality traits, Datsyuk is one of a kind in that remark. On the ice sure, I think Pettersson has a bit of Dastyuk and Crosby in him. In terms of personality he reminds me of a Classy humble Swede, kind of like the Sedins and Lidstrom. 

I am not trying to negate Horvat as a candidate as I think he is very well deserving and would be fine with him as captain. I just want Pettersson to be given the chance to throw his name into the hat and be given the opportunity to change peoples minds. As our MVP he should be granted that opportunity to prove to the masses.

I am fine with waiting another season

36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The thing is Bo never had that sort of impact early in his career. He didn't instantly change the dynamic of our team and become our best and most important player I also do think the fact that Petey showed respect to JB was qualities of a captain. He paid tribute to someone who was a supporter/fan of him early on showing a great appreciation. It was very humbling of him as he didn't need to say anything on the matter, especially on a platform such as the NHL Awards as a part of his Calder winning speech. It is a very good character quality.

As I have said if Petey started when Bo did then the majority would want him captain. It, personally makes me want to wait on something like this. Like I want to see who steps up and helps us get into the playoffs and then who steps up big time in the playoffs.

Dastyuk doesn't remind me of him when it comes to personality traits, Datsyuk is one of a kind in that remark. On the ice sure, I think Pettersson has a bit of Dastyuk and Crosby in him. In terms of personality he reminds me of a Classy humble Swede, kind of like the Sedins and Lidstrom. 

I am not trying to negate Horvat as a candidate as I think he is very well deserving and would be fine with him as captain. I just want Pettersson to be given the chance to throw his name into the hat and be given the opportunity to change peoples minds. As our MVP he should be granted that opportunity to prove to the masses.

Impact isn't always glaring.

How about being the guy who fills any void because he can (and is willing to)?  It's about doing what's asked of you, being a team player first, showing up every game and giving it whatever it takes....even if having to take a back seat to take on minutes in a different capacity because you're needed there.   

I'm thinking more of Petey and what's good for him in not wanting him to assume that...as well as the obvious label he's got as our franchise superstar.  He has enough on his plate and he simply wants to get better.  Not necessarily be the leader and team spokesman.  Let him focus on being awesome without the added distraction that, clearly, is a bit awkward for him.  Why subject him to it?  You know he's going to be (already is) expected to carry this team...how about let someone else answer for some of it?   You want ALL the pressure on him?  "Go out there and score the goals, set up the beautiful plays, back check hard...even if others maybe don't....then explain on everyone's behalf why you (the team) lost (even though you did all those things)".   A guy who is, seemingly, pretty hard on himself when he isn't perfect doesn't need that.  Let someone else explain "why" on those tough nights (and there will be some).  Captain isn't always glorious...it can be tough.  Having to go out there when you feel like throwing a towel over your head in a leave me alone state.  Petey hates losing...so you want him to have to absorb it even more than he already does?  I don't. 

Because there will be tough nights that someone will have to address head on.  

I think Bo's more equipped as captain...let Petey be the superstar.  Petey's already being targeted...put a C on him and see that amp'd up even more.   Let the Captain be the guy who relieves him of some of it.  A guy who never misses a game and is solid.

Petey tends to be quite emotional and hard on himself - he has to answer too many questions already.  Don't assign him to be the voice of the team...let him be the shining star.  I am honestly fine either way but, for me, it's already in the works.  Bo's been treated as captain....to change that dynamic could make things weird.  Business as usual.

Pavel wasn't Captain.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I will not run Petey down to make a better argument for Horvat.

Me either.  They're both "deserving"....it's all about what's in everyone's best interest, including theirs.   I just feel Bo's a more natural fit .... the C isn't about being the best player.  It's about representing the team...showing up, speaking on their behalf, talking to the refs, doing anything possible to help the team, etc.  I don't know that it's fair to put everything on Petey - we want him to score the most and that's a huge task in itself.  He is so focused and determined in that role...let him concentrate there.

He does elevate the game of those around him, but that's happening without a letter on his chest.  

I won't pit one against the other...they're both awesome.  Either way would get a nod from me, but I do think Bo has been groomed and it's been hinted that he will be captain...why change direction in that?  Why deny him that?  He's earned it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Two questions for you:

1) What does Petey bring (besides point totals) to the table as a leader that Bo doesn't?

AND

2) If you had to choose an all-time best Canucks captain who would you choose?

I think that some may view the C as only something glorious to bask in.  Like it's an ego stroke and nothing more.

It's actually a huge burden at times.  An extra responsibility.

It's not the winner of a popularity contest.  The captain of a ship is rarely seen....but you know he's there, taking charge of things.   

Is Petey capable of putting a team on his back?  Elevating the play of those around him?  Yep.  Don't need a c for that...he's already doing it.

It's all the little details that need taking care of that he really doesn't have time for as he goes about perfecting his craft.  I want him fully focused there, on that task of being the best damn player in the league...that's a pretty big to do list.  100% committed to that.  He doesn't have to also tick off  other boxes too....best captain.   That entails stuff that I don't want him distracted by.   

Fully focused, game face on, go time.  Not negotiating with a ref in between.

• Upvote 3

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

It's not about having an impact or changing the dynamic....it's about doing what's asked of you, being a team player first, showing up every game and giving it whatever it takes....even if having to take a back seat to take on minutes in a different capacity because you're needed there.   

I'm thinking more of Petey and what's good for him in not wanting him to assume that...as well as the obvious label he's got as our franchise superstar.  He has enough on his plate and he simply wants to get better.  Not necessarily be the leader and team spokesman.  Let him focus on being awesome without the added distraction that, clearly, is a bit awkward for him.  Why subject him to it?  You know he's going to be (already is) expected to carry this team...how about let someone else answer for some of it? 

I think Bo's more equipped as captain...let Petey be the superstar.  Petey's already being targeted...put a C on him and see that amp'd up even more.   Let the Captain be the guy who relieves him of some it.  A guy who never misses a game and is solid.

Petey tends to be quite emotional and hard on himself - he has to answer too many questions already.  Don't assign him to be the voice of the team...let him be the shining star.  I am honestly fine either way but, for me, it's already in the works.  Bo's been treated as captain....to change that dynamic could make things weird.  Business as usual.

Pavel wasn't Captain.

Yeah I get that. I am totally fine with Bo as captain it is just really tough not to make the argument for Petey though.

I feel like it's very capable of being so. If you look around the league when Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, OV these are players that have changed their organizations upon arrival. Some are better leaders than others and it probably shouldn't be a strict measure of naming a captain but it is very capable of being so.

In terms of what he's been able to handle look at it this way. He as a 19 year old, with all eyes on him in his home country broke records and made history in the SHL. The pressure at no point never got to him with even his coach stating that Petey teaches us things. More importantly he has never let all the attention get to his head. Being compared to Gretzky and all that. I feel like he has proven that he can handle any sort of pressure you put on him. All eyes were on him last year and he was fine, shrugged off dumb reporter questions hilariously and all.

Either way I'll be happy but I feel like we should wait and see how these two perform come playoff time and who steps up late in the season when the games truly matter.

Yeah Bure wasn't but Henrik was though. A better comparable would be Linden vs Henrik