The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This will be Bo's 6th season as a Canuck... and this is probably the third season where he has been asked about the captaincy (ever since the Sedins announced they were retiring). 

I think he is a great candidate for the captain. Both him and Petey will also understand that they don't need a "C" to be a leader. 

Of all the things to whine about... 

I will stand behind whoever doesn't make excuses for losses and whoever can get his team up to win instead of saying "the effort was just not there tonight". I want to hear more "I's" instead of "they" or "we". Someone who will take the bull by the horns and "do" something rather then "say" something. This type of leader has been needed for sometime now.

• Upvote 1

It's been widely speculated for at least a couple years now that he's the heir apparent by fans and media alike. Of course he's going to be asked about it. I don't see anything wrong. 

Hell, even if people are lobbying for it or if he's brought it up I still don't have a problem with it. If somebody wants to take on that role that's great, because there are likely plenty of guys who don't. I believe him too, I don't imagine being captain would change his approach to playing, his teammates, ect much. He's already taken a leadership role without a letter. It's actually wild to think about how he's one of our most tenured guys at 24. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's been widely speculated for at least a couple years now that he's the heir apparent by fans and media alike. Of course he's going to be asked about it. I don't see anything wrong. 

This really bothers me. The media and fans shouldn't be dictating and lobby for a player to be captain. It should be an internal thing that best serves the team.

Now if someone else if given the C Bo may have resentment. We should all stop asking the questions and let things unfold as they are meant too. 

He should just say.. it would be an honour but that isn't my call to make. We have a lot of good leaders in that room.

Instead he entertains the idea and says im your guy. Our own excitement and need for a symbolic leader is getting in the way. Pettersson imo is going to be a top 10 C in the league. Possibly even top 5.. why would we cross him off as an option this early? The kid oozes leadership and doesn't expect anything from it. 

Pettersson's focus is on the team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fans opinions don't dictate who gets the C. People can have opinions.

You clearly have an axe to grind with Horvat and it's pretty ridiculous.

True but we also have to recognize that we aren't part of that team and we don't observe those guys on a daily basis which is what Benning's job entails. It could be Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, imo we aren't qualified to judge. Therefore having strong opinions and being adamant that it must be Bo seems to be a little disrespectful of the other players who could have a legitimate claim as well. I don't agree with anointing leaders. I believe it must happen organically and you shouldn't force it to go a certain way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

This really bothers me. The media and fans shouldn't be dictating and lobby for a player to be captain. It should be an internal thing that best serves the team.

Now if someone else if given the C Bo may have resentment. We should all stop asking the questions and let things unfold as they are meant too. 

He should just say.. it would be an honour but that isn't my call to make. We have a lot of good leaders in that room.

Instead he entertains the idea and says im your guy. Our own excitement and need for a symbolic leader is getting in the way. Pettersson imo is going to be a top 10 C in the league. Possibly even top 5.. why would we cross him off as an option this early? The kid oozes leadership and doesn't expect anything from it. 

Pettersson's focus is on the team. 

Realistically fans and media alike are usually going to discuss/lobby for guys when there's a vacant captaincy. Part of it comes down to media being media and wanting to sell papers/get clicks and fans being fans. All this being said their impact is likely minimal, of course there's going to be that external pressure. It comes with professional sports. But the decision is likely an internal thing that best serves the team. 

I don't see it it, he doesn't seem like that sort of guy. He's very much a do what needs to be done players, but that's my take. And realistically, those questions and the speculation won't stop as I mentioned above. It's just one of those things with sports, especially in a more enthusiastic market. 

That's your take though, your personal take. It doesn't dictate what should and shouldn't be done. I'm sure he's said something similar to that in the past. 

Of course he'll entertain the idea if he's being asked about it and it's on social media, in the news, talked about on sports shows, ect. He's only human. As far as I can tell he hasn't come out and said "Hey, I'm your guy". Language and interpreting what someone is saying is taken all sorts of ways. Especially by the media, creative licence and the like. Things get spun, perceptions are published, news gets twisted and things take on a life of their own. Is what it is. 

Horvat would make a fine captain, I'm sure Pete would too. But again, you're biased towards Pete and it's showing in your perception of Horvat. Or at least in how you're presenting your perception of Horvat. 

Of course Pete's focus is on the team, but it'd be unfair to say Horvat's focus isn't on the team as well. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

It sounds like I was missing the context of the statement.  I haven't been a fan of his desire for the captaincy in the past. Clearly my bias towards him being captain is bleeding through here. 

I haven't been a fan of his past comments which were not all questions. 

So what you want is for him to say he doesn't want/isn't ready for the captaincy position when asked about it? 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

So what you want is for him to say he doesn't want/isn't ready for the captaincy position when asked about it? 

Be neutral about it. You can say it would be an honour but don't act like you want it. A leader shouldn't want to be a leader. A leader should just be a leader imo. 

He's a good guy no doubt. I think his fathers comments have skewed me the most on the matter lol. 

Here is his dads comment:

Sounds like it may have been phrased as a question. Something I may have missed at the time.

• Wat 5
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

True but we also have to recognize that we aren't part of that team and we don't observe those guys on a daily basis which is what Benning's job entails. It could be Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, imo we aren't qualified to judge. Therefore having strong opinions and being adamant that it must be Bo seems to be a little disrespectful of the other players who could have a legitimate claim as well. I don't agree with anointing leaders. I believe it must happen organically and you shouldn't force it to go a certain way.

Fans can discuss this stuff on a forum without the team taking it into account. The last thing Benning or Green should do is use fan opinion as a barometer for their choice, and I don't think they are.

Having an opinion that Horvat would be a good captain isn't disrespectful to the other potential candidates at all. It's an opinion. Now, if someone started a campaign, sure.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No he was probably asked about the captaincy, just giving his honest answer. He is ready for it, there is a 90% chance it will be him. 

I dont think I could ever be bothered by the words Bo speaks, he is a saint.

I also think there's a chance they keep it open for Petey

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fans opinions don't dictate who gets the C. People can have opinions.

You clearly have an axe to grind with Horvat and it's pretty ridiculous.

To be honest Phillip Bo has been one of my favorite players. It isn't an axe to grind with Horvat. It's rather that I feel its unfair for us all to label him as the air apparent. I have made this claim for 2 years now.. I don't think saying Bo should be the captain is the right idea when we have so many talented young players still joining the team. The next core is just arriving in the NHL.. I think it a touch early to start naming the oldest core player as the next captain. Bo was an icon and a symbol of hope for our franchise. He represented the youth movement that is now emerging. He has been our knight in shining armor. But I don't believe he should just be given the C because he's been there for us in hard times. He has provided a lot of hope and optimism for our fanbase.. trust me we have needed it. But I want this decision to be based on what is best for the long term success of this franchise. I want a dynasty with this group.. I don't think naming your 2nd line C the captain for the reasons above is a good idea. If the team deems him the best choice I will 100% support him! I just don't like the undying loyalty to Bo. Lets see how the other kids do and see who becomes the teams true leader.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think it's more #peteylove than #horvathate, but it just comes out as the latter because he knows it's inevitable.  Petey is hyped enough across the board as it is, so he figures he needs to pull Horvat down by impugning his character.  Rather distasteful and disrespectful, frankly.

I absolutely respect Bo. This isn't about trashing Bo. Clearly I worded above wrong and that is my fault. But I do not believe we should be clambering him as the C. The fact most polls give it to Bo at like 96% disturbs me. We know nothing about this teams inner workings. I don't want to see Bo resentful. But I guess the time for that has already come and gone. If Bo isn't the C I'm sure he will be hurt.