The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

5 hours ago, xereau said:

It's been over the team too long already, is the problem. Should have been handed over the last game with the Sedins.

If they wanted to make a buzz, they should have had Horvat come out as a surprise during the 1st round of the draft wearing the C.

Have 2 surprises:

Sedin's joining the draft

Bo Horvat wearing the C coming out of the back when it was Vancouver's turn to pick to make the selection of Poldkozin . 

Heck tbh, imagine Horvat Boeser Petty Hughes all walking out to make that selectino

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Baggins said:

They could be ribbing him as fans declared him next captain before he stepped on NHL ice. Remember Bieksa taping a fancy C on Hodgson's jersey? He was declared the next captain, before stepping on NHL ice, despite Henrik having years of playing ahead of him.

To me fans and/or the press going off prematurely about the next captain could leave that young player looking/feeling like a schmuck if it doesn't happen. I'm not saying Bo wouldn't make a fine captain. I just don't see it as something that needs to be declared years in advance by fans and harped about by the media for years. Management will decide when the time comes.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many harp on about the captain. Leaders lead regardless of what letter is on their chest.

There's a difference between vets ribbing a young guy versus a similarly aged group calling him Cap. Also, like you mentioned, it was pretty well known that Henrik was going to be around for a while, who is it now? Would the Canucks release something like that to create controversy? It was likely more a tidbit to show that the group views him as a leader if not the captain himself.

I agree that the media should stop asking questions to him about it, but that's our media always looking for controversy from some quote they could get. Management will indeed decide, but we are on a forum where people will have opinions. The captain is simply symbolic towards who is leading the charge and for ceremonial events, also faces the media the most. The team has talked about a leadership group for a while now, so having a captain isn't going to change that.

• Cheers 2

Petey is our talent, does not need the added pressure of being the captain.
Brock is our poster child and does not need extra duty.
Bo is built to lead, leads by example on and off the ice.  He is a self starter and needs no prodding.  He is the leader and should be captain.

Unless Demko has a real good camp and takes the number 1 job and the C that goes with it.  LMAO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

This really bothers me. The media and fans shouldn't be dictating and lobby for a player to be captain. It should be an internal thing that best serves the team.

Now if someone else if given the C Bo may have resentment. We should all stop asking the questions and let things unfold as they are meant too. 

He should just say.. it would be an honour but that isn't my call to make. We have a lot of good leaders in that room.

Instead he entertains the idea and says im your guy. Our own excitement and need for a symbolic leader is getting in the way. Pettersson imo is going to be a top 10 C in the league. Possibly even top 5.. why would we cross him off as an option this early? The kid oozes leadership and doesn't expect anything from it. 

Pettersson's focus is on the team. 

62625AFA-FD05-4FE6-80C2-84E63B82B873.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Trevor Linden is arguably the greatest Canucks captain of all time and was never in the top 3 in raw skill. Probably not even the top 5. 

This is just a misunderstanding of how leadership works and what the "C" means. I'm not saying that Bo is definitely a better leader than Petey, but what I am say is that having better dangles shouldn't be a criterion for who should wear the "C".

You can add Steamer to that list as well. He was a great captain 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I usually find myself agreeing with you to some degree, Rush, but you're way off base here imo. Bo has shown a willingness to be the captain, but he's by no means lobbying for it. Additionally, I think leadership and character are far more important than skill when it comes to the captaincy.

Feel exactly the same way.  The majority of Rush’s posts are great, but this either is some kind of weird bias or not really well thought out maybe.  Certainly Rush can give his opinion but Bo has been groomed to be captain 

48372B2B-E1A2-4BC0-B800-CE0A1334DD88.png

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I believe this is an important conversation to have. I am okay with me looking like a fool is how we have this conversation. I don't have care my public image lol. 

My point is.. I don't think we as a fanbase should be saying Bo should or is our next captain. Let's let coach and team decide what is best. 

You have some great posts(threads) Rush, but this one not so much

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you honestly think that fans discussing Horvat's suitableness for captaincy has any effect or sway with Aqulini, Benning, and Green? I don't.

Bo's performance on the ice and in front of the media makes him an ideal candidate, in my opinion. If he is given the C, it'll be because of those aspects of his overall body of work, and not because of where he fits in chronologically. In my humble opinion, a team captain represents the team on a whole and isn't always the team's best player. Is Shea Weber the best player on the Canadiens?

Bo's been the transitional leader from the older core to the newer one, and has never let up or lost focus. When Desjardins spoke about him as being a fourth line grinder, he took that on and persevered, never complaining to the press.

There will be a team captain this fall, by all accounts, and the probability of Bo being the captain is pretty high. I don't see that being a detraction or distraction to the team at all.

C131370F-BB12-42E7-A897-DF695D836688.gif

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I don't think Bo should be captain. If it happens I'll support him but he isn't even our top 3 players in raw skill. 

Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes all have more hockey talent. They are all younger and have many more years to grow. Bo is like our first born son. Just because he is older and more advanced doesn't mean he is the best candidate.

I don't think the fourth or fifth best player on a team should be named captain. I believe it should be one of your tip top players. If we want to get Pettersson signed at a reasonable term captaincy imo could be a good bargaining chip. I don't see Bo getting the C. I believe Jim and Travis believe Petey is the answer. They will want to give him more time tho.

clearly you didnt look at the stats from last season. Despite having to take 2000+ draws and most of them in the D zone he almost led the team in goals scored. I dont get your take.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Feel exactly the same way.  The majority of Rush’s posts are great, but this either is some kind of weird bias or not really well thought out maybe.  Certainly Rush can give his opinion but Bo has been groomed to be captain 

48372B2B-E1A2-4BC0-B800-CE0A1334DD88.png

He clearly only seen that tweet. Cause a lot of Bo’s comments were about it being management and the coach’s decision, he mentions there are a lot of great guys in the locker room, and that there is no rush to name a captain. He doesn’t come off as a guy that expects it to be given to him. Thread is a kneejerk reaction to a paraphrased tweet, not even paraphrased that well mind you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We get that it bothers YOU because YOU clearly and admittedly want Pettersson to be captain.  YOU need to be (better) prepared for Horvat's eventual donning of that letter, and in the meantime YOU should not only expect these questions and conversations to happen, but YOU should be able to handle it without continuing to emote about it.  Especially when Horvat doesn't even bring it up himself, and is just responding to questions. 

Answered a question posed to him a whole four times in two years?  Oh, he's just so overly-ambitious!

No one denies that Petey, in time, would make a good Captain.  He’s already a leader by example.  But Bo is the whole package already.  And the other players (especially the younger guys) look to Bo for leadership.  Petey and Bess already call Bo Cap.  Bo will be named team captain game one.  He’s ready, and he’s going to be great.

• Upvote 4