The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chiropractor or a real doctor?

stanleypuck

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

You should ask an NHL player how important Chiro's are, every team uses them and most have a full time chiro on staff.

Professional athletes are almost a different species from average human beings.  It is hard to compare the day to day needs of professional athletes to those of normal people.

NHL players should probably be seeing massage therapists, PT/Chiro and sports psychologists frequently.  They should also be consulting regularly with sports docs, dietitians and other supports as well.  That doesn't count the physical therapists that they should probably work with in daily.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stanleypuck said:

My recently gave out and a few people I know said I should see a chiropractor or a doctor.

No offence, but I don't consider chiropractors as "doctors". More like alternative medicinal people . . .

That said, my friends who did go for chiropractor clinics only have positive things to say about them.

So my choice is pay more and go to a chiropractor (Private faster treatment) or pay almost 50% less and go to a medical doctor and deal with the current waiting list, etc.

Has anyone here used chiropractors before?

Thx!

Poorly done chiropractic neck adjustments can cause mini lesions (like strokes) on the brain.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I work in a multidisciplinary healthcare clinic, and closely with Chiros. They can be very helpful for the right issues. Ask me anything I guess?

edit, also, they are doctors

as is anyone with a PHD, dentist, ND...

The moniker is almost meaningless.  They are doctors because their college calls them doctor.  They are not physicians (that is in no way meant to be denigrating) that is true.

I too have worked with a chiropractor and he was very good at what he did.  Like you say they can be great for some issues and back pain would be the big one.

Edited by DrJockitch

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Professional athletes are almost a different species from average human beings.  It is hard to compare the day to day needs of professional athletes to those of normal people.

NHL players should probably be seeing massage therapists, PT/Chiro and sports psychologists frequently.  They should also be consulting regularly with sports docs, dietitians and other supports as well.  That doesn't count the physical therapists that they should probably work with in daily.

And these top athletes get the best people in those fields working with them.  We, as Joe public, don’t (necessarily) get the best.  A bad chiropractor can do a lot more harm than good.  

Just now, DrJockitch said:

as is anyone with a PHD, dentist, ND...

The moniker is almost meaningless.  They are doctor's because their college calls them doctor.  They are not physicians (that is in no way meant to be denigrating) that is true.

I too have worked with a chiropractor and he was very good at what he did.  Like you say they can be great for some issues and back pain would be the big one.

Real doctors have prescription pads.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poorly done chiropractic neck adjustments can cause mini lesions (like strokes) on the brain.  

This is true and not true.  Chiropractic neck adjustment is the number one cause of thrombotic stroke below the age of 35 (though this almost doesn't exist under 35 so it only takes a few cases).  It is not because it is done poorly or well it is bad luck really.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

This is true and not true.  Chiropractic neck adjustment is the number one cause of thrombotic stroke below the age of 35 (though this almost doesn't exist under 35 so it only takes a few cases).  It is not because it is done poorly or well it is bad luck really.

So why take such a risk, when luck determines whether you leave the chiropractor’s office standing or ????

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So why take such a risk, when luck determines whether you leave the chiropractor’s office standing or ????

Wouldn't recommend it, just saying it is not the skill with which the procedure is performed, it is the performance of the procedure that is the problem.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, stanleypuck said:

My recently gave out and a few people I know said I should see a chiropractor or a doctor.

No offence, but I don't consider chiropractors as "doctors". More like alternative medicinal people . . .

That said, my friends who did go for chiropractor clinics only have positive things to say about them.

So my choice is pay more and go to a chiropractor (Private faster treatment) or pay almost 50% less and go to a medical doctor and deal with the current waiting list, etc.

Has anyone here used chiropractors before?

Thx!

years ago i went to emergency and the doctor said i was have a heart attack, after 4 days he sent me home, said i was fine. upon working, the chest pains had come back, so i spent another day in the hospital. i told him i had been cross checked playing hockey 2 weeks earlier. he said that couldn’t be my problem. 

the next day i went to a chiropator. i explained everything to him. in 2 minutes, he found that my rib cage had torn from the cartilage. he said the cross check did it. 

• Upvote 1

Well, not being a Chiropractor, I will probably botch this up, but this is how it was explained to me...….

Basically,a Chiro re-establishes the muscles range of motion...….so what happens when we have a fall, or other physical event, where a muscle get injured, is that it will stop stretching, in some cases...……...

If this happens on one side of your body, the muscle can become guarded and not move (stretch), then the other muscle on the other side starts over compensating, this in effect twists you body and puts pressure on nerves, which in turn causes pain. 

Your Chiro, who has gone to school for 4 years, studying the muscle/skeletal structure of your body and manipulations that can free that range of motion, can on most occasions relieve pain by freeing the guarded muscle, and the massage part is to relax the muscle prior to the manipulation. When both muscles on each side work freely, the pressure is taken off the nerve ending

Note...….....most reputable Chiro's will not, look at any injuries that are obviously medical until a doctor has rules out more serious injuries

That is about all I know about that...………..

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

It is also true that doctors are the number one cause of Opioid Addiction

Edited by janisahockeynut

Interesting thread.

I haven't been to Chiro in about 20 years because I was told by my PT (at the time) not to.

Back story- I compressed three vertebrae and fractured two while being an invincible 20yr/o snowboarder. At my first physio visit she said very sternly - "do not see a chiro for at least 12 months, preferably never, they're not doctors and with your injury they could cause more harm than you've already done to yourself"

I got into kinetic stretching, yoga and swimming in my rehab, which all seemed to work well. Whenever I'm dealing with back pain I just do some kinetics and magically realign my own $&!#.

It's like that. Sorry chiro nerds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Chiropractors for certain thinks more bone related or back.

Physio for sports related injuries or anything that has to do with joint and muscle.

Thats not true at all.   They both treat similar conditions, they just treat them differently, for a different reason, with a different theory.  

Physiotherapists are university trained as part of the entire health care team and their practice is largely evidence based on current science.  Chiropractors go to their own school and are largely based on historical evidence and theory.  As time goes on some chiropractors are leaning towards physiotherapy type theories and treatments and some physiotherapists are using chiropractic type techniques in their practice but for a different reason.   There are benefits in both professions and overtime they are getting closer rather than further apart.

The big difference is Physiotherapists are much better at diagnosing musculoskeletal injuries of all body parts as their scanning exam is much more thorough and logical.  If you want an accurate diagnosis, physiotherapists generally do a much better job.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

They look so fake on the telly.

Do they make your body jerk around as much as they show on Dr Ho's info-jams? and didn't he used to sell condo's or something? I swear i remember seeing him on a boat, talking about wealth, surrounded by.....Ho's. 

The frequency Dr. Ho's max's out at isn't the same as what a clinical level IFC can do or an actual, expensive TENs. 

A real TENS shouldn't make you twitch too much as it's not causing muscular contractions, rather it's sending electrical interference to free nerve endings.(Which is why while the TENS is on the pain is reduced or eliminated but returns by the time the patient gets home)

EMS (electrical muscle stimulation) is what makes the muscles twitch. In a clinical setting, we would use it for example when someone has had knee surgery and has atrophy around their quads, specifically the vastus medialus obliqus, so we would put the EMS on that muscle specifically and have the patient do unresisted (very early on in their rehab) knee extensions to retrain the brain to fire that muscle during that movement.

Whatever Dr. Ho claims is just spam.

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Interesting thread.

I haven't been to Chiro in about 20 years because I was told by my PT (at the time) not to.

Back story- I compressed three vertebrae and fractured two while being an invincible 20yr/o snowboarder. At my first physio visit she said very sternly - "do not see a chiro for at least 12 months, preferably never, they're not doctors and with your injury they could cause more harm than you've already done to yourself"

I got into kinetic stretching, yoga and swimming in my rehab, which all seemed to work well. Whenever I'm dealing with back pain I just do some kinetics and magically realign my own $&!#.

It's like that. Sorry chiro nerds

See a good Kinesiologist to reduce how often you get back pain and "out of line"

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

You should ask an NHL player how important Chiro's are, every team uses them and most have a full time chiro on staff.

NHL staff'd chiropractics have almost always also done athletic training courses as well as more evidence based courses for treating common injuries. They're not your standard strip mall chiropractors.