The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toes gives Bo the nod on captaincy

Rate this topic

Canckelhead

12 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

He was asked who he admired (Bo), while being asked of Pettersson. Yeah the headline is a stretch but there is a huge difference there. 

Which is why the article puts Bo as the "captain". The point is he had simply complimented each player, which is why the headline is a stretch. And perhaps it was simply a "captain" answer because Bo is representing the Canucks at this tour. so you just compliment the guy that is also there who happens to be a young guy and someone he has faced numerous times.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Which is why the article puts Bo as the "captain". The point is he had simply complimented each player, which is why the headline is a stretch. And perhaps it was simply a "captain" answer because Bo is representing the Canucks at this tour. so you just compliment the guy that is also there who happens to be a young guy and someone he has faced numerous times.

Well I guess you don't see the difference then after all if you say he simply complimented each player.. 

He chose Bo out of hundreds of players as a player he admired.

While saying "he's just so tricky" when asked about Petey.

This headline would've been total click bait if the captaincy discussion hadn't been brought up a few days ago, but the writer is simply alluding to the fact that there has been talk about captaincy in Vancouver and Bo's name being mentioned, and Toews has given him a nod. I don't see anything wrong with it. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Well I guess you don't see the difference then after all if you say he simply complimented each player.. 

He chose Bo out of hundreds of players as a player he admired.

While saying "he's just so tricky" when asked about Petey.

I do see the difference. But thanks for being snarky about it.

You replied to my comment about why I felt it's such a stretch for the title. Toews picked out Bo, said nothing about him being a captain and just that he likes his game despite not getting all the recognition through points. He admires Bo as the question was posed. There could've been other players he could've picked out instead, but Bo is on this tour and he's likely one of the younger guys there and maybe talked to him recently, so it's no surprise that when a question like this is posed, he's simply answering quickly to it. He isn't a robot processing all the NHL young guys and Horvat fit all the criteria in his computerized brain. And even so, that still doesn't conclude that Bo is who he thinks should be the next captain of the Canucks.

He was asked of Pettersson and complimented his game as well. I'm sure he admires and respects Pettersson as well.

If it was Edler who was asked the same question and he chose someone from another team, no one would say that Edler is endorsing them to be the next captain of their team. If anything it'll be twisted as "Edler doesn't admire the young players on his team". Ask Toews again a month from now and if he continually says Horvat as the young guy he most admires, then I would put more weight to his opinion, but I suspect he would probably just mention another player possibly wherever he is playing that night.

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I do see the difference. But thanks for being snarky about it.

You replied to my comment about why I felt it's such a stretch for the title. Toews picked out Bo, said nothing about him being a captain and just that he likes his game despite not getting all the recognition through points. He admires Bo as the question was posed. There could've been other players he could've picked out instead, but Bo is on this tour and he's likely one of the younger guys there and maybe talked to him recently, so it's no surprise that when a question like this is posed, he's simply answering quickly to it. He isn't a robot processing all the NHL young guys and Horvat fit all the criteria in his computerized brain. And even so, that still doesn't conclude that Bo is who he thinks should be the next captain of the Canucks.

He was asked of Pettersson and complimented his game as well. I'm sure he admires and respects Pettersson as well.

If it was Edler who was asked the same question and he chose someone from another team, no one would say that Edler is endorsing them to be the next captain of their team. If anything it'll be twisted as "Edler doesn't admire the young players on his team". Ask Toews again a month from now and if he continually says Horvat as the young guy he most admires, then I would put more weight to his opinion, but I suspect he would probably just mention another player possibly wherever he is playing that night.

Wasn't trying to be snarky at all... you just didn't seem to see it after saying that he had "simply complimented each player". 

Anyways, we will have to agree to disagree. I think a long standing captain of a cup winning team saying that he admires a much younger player than him is a pretty damn strong endorsement compared to how you see it. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Bit of a reach to have the article title be "Toes (Toews) gives Bo the nod on captaincy" when he said nothing of it. He was asked who he admired and said Bo and complimented his game. He was also asked of Pettersson and seems to respect and admire him as well as a player.

I was thinking the same thing. Toews isn't saying Bo should be captain.  lol 

Michael Traikos really wants people to read his stuff I guess. Nice that he's putting a positive Bo story out there though. 

3 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Cause I know how much some of you hate links.. :)

(FYI - only Canucks related stuff copied)

Canucks' Horvat gets Toews nod as new Captain Serious

CHICAGO — Could there be a Captain Serious in Vancouver?

Jonathan Toews seems to thinks so. When asked if there was a younger player in the league whom he admires, the Chicago Blackhawks centre did not hesitate to come up for an answer.

“I always kind of recognize the guys who do have a ton of skill but are playing a two-way game and aren’t filling the net or getting the points every single night,” Toews said during Thursday’s Player Media Tour. “Bo Horvat is a guy who I like because of the way he works. If you go head-to-head with a centreman like that, you’re not going to have an easy night.”

It’s the kind of compliment that should make Horvat an easy choice to wear the ‘C’ with the Canucks this season.

“I think definitely it would be an unbelievable honour,” said Horvat, who scored a career-best 27 goals and 61 points last season.

The captaincy in Vancouver has been vacant ever since Henrik Sedin retired at the end of the 2017-18 season. Horvat, who is 24 years old, said there is no rush to anoint someone new. But with the team looking to take that step towards making the playoffs, having an official leader could come in handy.

“We added some good depth guys, some good core guys,” he said of the off-season moves that brought forwards J.T. Miller and Micheal Ferland, as well as defencemen Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn, to Vancouver. “It shows that (GM Jim Benning) wants to win and he wants to take that next step. For a young player going into Year 6 already, I want to take that next step too. I want to make the playoffs.”

CAPTAIN CRUSHING BURGERS

What did Horvat make of the Twitter pics that jokingly compared Elias Pettersson’s off-season physical transformation to that of Captain America?

“I was like ‘geezus.’ I wonder if I’m going to be able to still push him around,” said Horvat, laughing. “He does look beefier. Hopefully it’s good weight. Hopefully, he didn’t crush burgers all summer.”

Indeed, after leading the team with 28 goals and 66 points in just 71 games, a lot will be expected of Pettersson. But while the expectations are daunting, Horvat doesn’t believe his teammate will be affected.

“They always talk about the sophomore slump,” said Horvat. “I went through it. I’m not going to say it doesn’t exist. But some other players, it just doesn’t faze them at all. (Pettersson) knows what he needs to do. He’s smart that way. I don’t think it’s going to bother him.”

HERE AND THERE

What does Toews think of Vancouver’s Pettersson? “He’s the next incarnation of (Pavel) Datsyuk. He’s just so tricky.”

That's awesome. I know Toews is Horvat's favorite player so it must be nice for him to hear that. Had a good laugh at the 'crushing burgers' comment too, lol. 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

Wasn't trying to be snarky at all... you just didn't seem to see it after saying that he had "simply complimented each player". 

Anyways, we will have to agree to disagree. I think a long standing captain of a cup winning team saying that he admires a much younger player than him is a pretty damn strong endorsement compared to how you see it. 

Well I'd like to see who he would say a month from now if posed with the same question in a different situation. Bo was on the media tour and is someone he had faced several times over the years. For me it's the context of the situation that I guess is where we differ in opinion.

Gretzky has compared EP to himself and Crosby, but I guess that has less bearing because he was asked of EP rather than singling him out from a differently posed question? Gretzky had only watched him play and felt this way before being asked about it and I would say he meets your criteria of a respected player. But I would say that would be a pretty strong endorsement being compared to two of the best in the game ever. There is no mention of the captaincy here either, but there's no article that would suggest that Gretzky has endorsed EP to be the next captain either as he simply complimented his game.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well I'd like to see who he would say a month from now if posed with the same question in a different situation. Bo was on the media tour and is someone he had faced several times over the years. For me it's the context of the situation that I guess is where we differ in opinion.

Gretzky has compared EP to himself and Crosby, but I guess that has less bearing because he was asked of EP rather than singling him out from a differently posed question? Gretzky had only watched him play and felt this way before being asked about it and I would say he meets your criteria of a respected player. But I would say that would be a pretty strong endorsement being compared to two of the best in the game ever. There is no mention of the captaincy here either, but there's no article that would suggest that Gretzky has endorsed EP to be the next captain either as he simply complimented his game.

100% agree with all your thoughts there! 

You are right, at first I overlooked the fact that they are on the media tour together. 

I still do think that although there is no actual endorsement of captaincy, the article headline is appropriate due to the recent media attention to Canucks' captaincy/Bo. :)

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Bit of a reach to have the article title be "Toes (Toews) gives Bo the nod on captaincy" when he said nothing of it. He was asked who he admired and said Bo and complimented his game. He was also asked of Pettersson and seems to respect and admire him as well as a player.

Bang on! At the very least it's a classic example of the media misquoting someone out of context. 

Admiration for a player and a nod on captaincy are two completely different things. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

100% agree with all your thoughts there! 

You are right, at first I overlooked the fact that they are on the media tour together. 

I still do think that although there is no actual endorsement of captaincy, the article headline is appropriate due to the recent media attention to Canucks' captaincy/Bo. :)

So it's just continued clickbait or misinformation to those who only read the headlines. Toews doesn't really even say he's comparing him to himself to even justify suggesting Bo is "the next Captain Serious". There's simply nothing there.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have to say I think people are making way too big a deal on a letter. 

That's why it's important to name it. It's a distraction and everyone knows who the leader is already. Recognizing him as the leader will stop the chatter and more importantly give the team a personality.

Like it or not, the captain of the team makes a difference. Without it, you have a few similar voices with a similar message. With one, you have the back bone of the team, the work ethic expected from the rest, a single message, a unified team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So it's just continued clickbait or misinformation to those who only read the headlines. Toews doesn't really even say he's comparing him to himself to even justify suggesting Bo is "the next Captain Serious". There's simply nothing there.

Well IMO, those who only read the headlines can expect to be misinformed :lol:

And again, disagree that saying Bo is a player he admires can't be taken as a "nod on captaincy", which has been a recent discussion topic. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

Well IMO, those who only read the headlines can expect to be misinformed :lol:

And again, disagree that saying Bo is a player he admires can't be taken as a "nod on captaincy", which has been a recent discussion topic. 

It's only a recent discussion topic based on a quote because Bo was asked about the captaincy which also has been blown out of proportion due to misleading. So this simply is any attempt to ride that clickbait potential. Players can admire other player's games without the notion that they feel they should be the next captain or whatever, he simply admires the way he plays and feels that he should be recognized for the work he does with or without the points. Not to say the compliments he gave don't contribute to a decent captain, but again that wasn't what he was answering. Nothing suggests it being a nod to anything beyond admiring the way he plays and goes about things.

The interviewer should've straight up asked who he thinks should be the next captain to draw that conclusion rather than reach for it (or perhaps he did ask and was given an answer that didn't work for him).

100% agree on the first statement though.

26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's only a recent discussion topic based on a quote because Bo was asked about the captaincy which also has been blown out of proportion due to misleading. So this simply is any attempt to ride that clickbait potential. Players can admire other player's games without the notion that they feel they should be the next captain or whatever, he simply admires the way he plays and feels that he should be recognized for the work he does with or without the points. Not to say the compliments he gave don't contribute to a decent captain, but again that wasn't what he was answering. Nothing suggests it being a nod to anything beyond admiring the way he plays and goes about things.

The interviewer should've straight up asked who he thinks should be the next captain to draw that conclusion rather than reach for it (or perhaps he did ask and was given an answer that didn't work for him).

100% agree on the first statement though.

He added a line right after the Toews quote:

"It’s the kind of compliment that should make Horvat an easy choice to wear the ‘C’ with the Canucks this season."

To the writer (and me), it is most definitely a nod to Horvat making a good captain, and thus being a good choice for the currently occupant position. 

11 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

He added a line right after the Toews quote:

"It’s the kind of compliment that should make Horvat an easy choice to wear the ‘C’ with the Canucks this season."

To the writer (and me), it is most definitely a nod to Horvat making a good captain, and thus being a good choice for the currently occupant position. 

And that's where the writer reached. As I said, the compliments he gave are suited for a captain (and I think Bo should be captain), but Toews said nothing that should be led that he's giving any nod to the idea that he should be captain. The writer made that leap himself. Toews simply complimented his game. Just giving recognition to a guy that might not be praised as much simply due to the sexy stats like goals and assists.