The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

1 hour ago, highwayman3 said:

Come on, it's pretty clear Gardiner is a better player.  And just because there are more LDs than RDs does not mean that RDs automatically get more money, there is no evidence to support that claim.  

I thought that acquiring a RHD was a good idea, which is why I happy that they targeted Subban and Barrie first, as was reported.  They thew this crazy contract on Myers after striking out on the first two.  I don't think he was a good target and he's vastly overpaid.  

No, it's not clear that a defenseman who can't play defense is a better player than literally any of our top 8.  Gardiner is absolute trash.

1 hour ago, highwayman3 said:

Come on, it's pretty clear Gardiner is a better player.  And just because there are more LDs than RDs does not mean that RDs automatically get more money, there is no evidence to support that claim.  

I thought that acquiring a RHD was a good idea, which is why I happy that they targeted Subban and Barrie first, as was reported.  They thew this crazy contract on Myers after striking out on the first two.  I don't think he was a good target and he's vastly overpaid.  

It’s talked about all the time - how there is an abundance of LHDs and a limited amount of RHD comparatively - I’ve read  a lot of articles on it, one more recent one had the amounts - something in the area of 120 Righties and 180 lefties - coaches want that balance shooting nowadays and don’t want guys shooting and passing on their wrong side - which speaks for itself - not sure what you read, watch or listen too but the data’s available if you want it - yes RHDs are a big commodity.   Personally I’d rather have Myers at his cap hit then Subban, but I won’t get into that - and one year of Barrie - long term would depend on his cap hit.

Too bad your not excited about it but that’s fine.  Burke did a good analysis of the signing and I agree with most of what he said including this was a great signing/deal for Vancouver  - THN did a good comparison of Gardiner and Myers pre-July 1 - if you can find it, it’s a good read.  Hint they liked Myers more for several reasons.

No he’s not a number one, but he’s not much different then Edler (although he’s got a better shot) and he’s been healthy for a couple seasons.  There is also still potential there, a lot of good (and he is good, you will see soon enough) defenseman have their best seasons in their thirties, Gio just had a career year at 34, and Lidstrom didn’t win a Norris until he was 30, Visnkovsky, Zubov, Burns etc etc.   I’m not worried, we moved Stetcher off the first line when Tanev goes down, and he kills penalties and can run a PP.   And puts up more 5 x 5 points then most defenseman in the league.  Edler and Tanev will get a huge break with Benn, Hughes and Myers picking up the slack on special teams and balancing out the load.  

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jake Gardiner turned down a 3-year, $15.75 million contract from the Canadiens back in early July, per La Presse’s Alexandre Pratt.

He could've hit back to UFA sooner, instead he has an extra year of contract for 500k more. Unless he really wanted to get out of the Canadian market spotlight, looks like miscalculation on his value. He's on a good D core now that compliments him, but at the same time, he could've had Price backstopping him.

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

What is this meant to represent, from your perspective?

That you're a nerd who uses fancy tools like context and history when making a post. 

I was also highly drunk from my friends' wedding when I posted that picture so I was mystified as to why I'd downloaded a gif of Razor Ramon the night before. Thanks for helping me piece that together. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That you're a nerd who uses fancy tools like context and history when making a post. 

I was also highly drunk from my friends' wedding when I posted that picture so I was mystified as to why I'd downloaded a gif of Razor Ramon the night before. Thanks for helping me piece that together. 

Thanks for the explanation boss. 

• Cheers 1