The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Landon Ferraro with Canucks

12 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

you think EP gained over 20lbs this off season? I have only seen the side shot photo and the interview video doesnt show much. Glad to hear he worked hard and very happy to see he has gained (X) amount of weight. he will need to be bigger and stronger if he wants to be effective in the playoffs and not be pushed around, going to be targeted with hits and slashes a lot for his entire career.

He was roughly 165 at the 2017 draft combine. He claimed he was 167 at the World Juniors his D+1 year so it's safe to say he was at least that much at the start of his rookie year. He looks to be at around 175 now. If he can't put on 10 pounds over an entire rookie season and a full summer I dunno man. He looks pretty big. Much bigger than before.

Edited by N7Nucks

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

He was roughly 165 at the 2017 draft combine. He claimed he was 167 at the World Juniors his D+1 year so it's safe to say he was at least that much at the start of his rookie year. He looks to be at around 175 now. If he can't put on 10 pounds over an entire rookie season and a full summer I dunno man. He looks pretty big. Much bigger than before.

He is definitely manning up. Apparently he gained an inch of height this off season and definitely looks like less of a lil boy. He will be 195 at age 23 I'd bet on it.

20 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

You need players for the preseason.

You don't dress your main guys unless you're stupid. Your AHL guys need to go to their camps to get tuned up with their teammates, no point in wasting their time.

Basically you need a non value added bodies to fill holes.

Additionally, I believe there are veteran minimums during pre-season as well.

If you don't want to start your stars in every game, there's a good chance you're going to need to PTO someone like Landon to fill some gaps for a few weeks. Benefits the team, and gives him more league wide (and AHL wide for that matter) exposure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

to me its hard to tell in the photo. Hopefully with the training regime he was on that was the plan for him to get stronger and put on some muscle mass. I don't think he has the body type to bulk up 15-20lbs in 1 off season like brock or Jake. If he does, a next generation Forsberg would be absolutely amazing for us, I see EP maybe getting to 180lb going off his older brother having a slender build but who knows, work hard enough and you can achieve anything in life!

100% Guaranteed EP is already 180lbs or higher. Weighed in at camp 176lbs last year. Probably somewhere between 180-185 and will likely be close to 190 for his career.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Longshot for Ferraro to make it.

Tanner Kero signed elsewhere & he was one of Utica's more relied upon C's IIRC, perhaps that's a spot Landon is auditioning for. Good luck to him, pulling for him to get a spot in Utica. 

He'll sign a 2 way deal out of camp... will be a stud for us down in Utica. Then called up late in the season and sticks with the team until our final game and final victory on June 15th 2020

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

He was injured for most of last season - played only 12 games.  

Won the AHL's Yanick Dupre award as AHL Man of the Year for his contribution to the local community and charitable organisations.   He promoted Craig Cunningham's All Heart Foundation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

I've finally come around to Ray Ferraro's perspective....I have no idea what Benning is doing/thinking!:bigblush:

You and Timrafan can buy Ray lunch and listen to him tell you why he is right and everyone else is wrong including JB.

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

i thought he was in the 160s in camp, my bad

Maybe he was - teams and players often cheat a little on what they report especially if size is an issue - best examples are Vernon who was listed as 5’9” his entire career and only recently admitted he played at 5’7”....Quin and Jack Hughes are also subject to the same criticism - McAvoy is listed at 6’0 or even more but there is no way he’s that tall - he’s shorter.    EP maybe grew and maybe added some weight which would help for sure, and IF he ever fills out (doubtful his shoulders are so narrow  you can’t read Vancouver across his chest) he could be a monster ... maybe in his thirties.    Would be cool for sure.  Juice  was listed anywhere from 5’11 190 (which I believe is his honest height) to 6’2” 225lbs during a fight tale of the tape early on ... 

In the end it really makes little difference compared to the size of the fight in the dog - which I believe EP has plenty of.   Look at what that little pep squeak Theo Fluery managed half the time in the dead puck era at 5’4” 140 lbs.   Or “terrible ted Lindsay” Bobby Clark or Mikita from the past.  EP has one of if not the hardest shot on the team -  couldn’t believe he could wire the puck that hard during last years all-star game...at under 170....what could he do at 200?   Put holes through nets and boards like Weber?  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Lol you realize most guys lose 10-20 pounds throughout the year, not Gain. Fact of the matter is Petey is not going to be a guy sitting at 180-200 all year, he’s going to come into camp around 185 MAYBE and probably play at 170-175. Gettting big for the sake of getting big is going to hinder his skill and agility, real strength is gained over time through training not drinking protein shakes high carbs and pumping yourself full of creatine all summer

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, logic said:

Lol you realize most guys lose 10-20 pounds throughout the year, not Gain. Fact of the matter is Petey is not going to be a guy sitting at 180-200 all year, he’s going to come into camp around 185 MAYBE and probably play at 170-175. Gettting big for the sake of getting big is going to hinder his skill and agility, real strength is gained over time through training not drinking protein shakes high carbs and pumping yourself full of creatine all summer

Well, apparently they lose about 5-8 pounds of mostly water over the course of a season. I never said he needs to get massive and put on 30 pounds. But at his height I don’t think being 160 forever was the play. And clearly he thought the same since he bulked up and commented about getting bigger a few times.

3 hours ago, logic said:

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

Camp weight is the weight that goes in the books.

January is their true weight, but that’s never published. 

All men under 6’ are always 5’11, even if they are 5’8. Kinda funny. 

Muscle fiber loss isn’t really a thing with these guys - water weight and fat is.  Agreed 189lbs - you’d be 205 and 6” like Joey Kocer at the start of camp - that said he’s considered the hardest puncher in the history of the NHL - again the fight in the size of the dog when it comes to this sort of thing.  In the end fitness is equally important - it’s why guys like Duncan Keith, Chelios (another sub-six junkyard dog) and Gilmour loved long series and OT games , the majority would wane and they’d still look fresh...hope he’s working on his conditioning at the same time - the Sedins were good at this too.  

Its kind of funny how some posters are drooling over a little weight gain, like his shoulders will grow a foot wider and he will look like Ohlund soon (ok that would be pretty cool)...yes he’s going to put on some muscle and absolutely it will help him - no negative affects on his agility or speed either - not unless he’s well over 200 lbs given hjs height even that’s on the lean side.    He will never be Jagr or Ovi or Howe - he’s not genetically pre-disposed for it - the same way Quin or Jack are going to get the “famous” uncle gene that sprouts them into a six foot “giant” (seriously have read them talk about this, their family is short for the most part). 

The hockey subjects are pretty thin this time of year - can’t wait for things to get rolling the next week or two. 

• Thanks 1