The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - Autumn 2019

Rate this topic

AV.

38 minutes ago, otherwise said:

Glad you found something you liked! it was a pretty random list, just whatever I thought to listen to next when I was making it :lol: 

Nothing wrong with that.  My mp3 player is filled with a pretty strange mix, all things considered, and it lives on shuffle.  All that matters is that you enjoy it, and any one else getting something from it is icing on the cake.

12 hours ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

My Playlist:

1. Nahko Bear & Medicine For The People - Aloha Ke Akua

https://youtu.be/cYaJVcX7y98

2. Qveen Herby - Busta Rhymes

https://youtu.be/vQJwNETuUIM

3. Nina Simone - Sinnerman

https://youtu.be/xbIG_b2IMO0

4. Soko - I'll Kill Her

https://youtu.be/J5-50Ftt7K0

5. The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow

https://youtu.be/WOXixB2Lno0

6. Pearl Jam - Animal

https://youtu.be/oFBxUIzsrTg

7. The Nightwatchman - Whatever It Takes

https://youtu.be/EV_w_B-xg2Y?list=PL40nRlylYTOzeF0v72l-XpmU4BkgH3Kyl

8. INXS - Need You Tonight

https://youtu.be/F93ywiGMDnQ

9. Aram Bedrosian - Going Under

https://youtu.be/v3yr3MEV3N8

This playlist seems to jump over every genre and a few decades.  The only songs I was already familiar with were Animal and Need You Tonight.   I was born in the 80s so I am familiar with these two bands.  Pearl Jam is a classic.  I had forgotten though how little they actually say in that song though, and never really gave much thought as a kid to what INXS was actually singing about, lol.  No wonder my parent didn’t like me listening to that music.  Civil Wars I am somewhat familiar with.  I love the vocals/harmonizing in this song, and I am partial towards songs that are introspective and hint at the spiritual like this one does.  This might be a song/band I add to my collection after this.  Sinnerman and Aloha Ke Akua also both dive into the spiritual.  I think Aloha mixes some Christian theology with some Native/Aboriginal beliefs?   An interesting song for sure, both lyrically and musically.  I feel Aloha is the kind of song that grows on you the more you listen to it. 

Been a long time since I listened to rap, but I can see the skill Qveen has.  Amazing how clearly and quickly she can rap.  I had to google Tom Morello, only to realize he’s from Rage and Audioslave.  Other bands I liked in back in the day.  This guy is a musical genius.  Great song.

No Idea what the heck I was listening to with Soko.  Sorry, that one is brutal lol.  

That's my mix, thanks for the review!

This was the mix I received. My reaction was...mixed. There were a few songs I thoroughly enjoyed, but half of it was not my thing at all. As a continuous playlist, the songs seemed to alternate between classic blues rock and instrumental rock. I like the former, but the latter doesn't really have the aspects of music that I personally enjoy. 

Song-by-song review:

1. Powder Blues - Hear that Guitar Ring 

- This was a very fun piece of blues rock. I don't venture into this genre often but I could see myself putting this on again. I just love the instrumentation on this song - it's all perfect. 

2. Steve Vai - Erotic Nightmare

- I honestly tried but this type of instrumental rock does not do anything for me, sadly. I'd go as far to say as this type of music actually annoys me, haha. I know that probably sounds offensive, but that's just my rigid tastes. I can appreciate it on a technical level. 

3. The Rolling Stones - Happy 

- A classic. Definitely loved this. Beautiful instrumentals and an amazing vocal combination on the chorus. I could listen to this over and over again.  

4. Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover

- See no. 2. It's a slight improvement for me, but probably not something I would want to listen to again. 

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing

- I understand this is a cover of the Jimi Hendrix song by the same name? I suppose it's good, but I think it suffers without the vocals. I found myself a bit bored despite the beautiful guitar work. I think my opinion improved a lot upon a subsequent listen. 

6. Joe Satriani - Satch Bogie

- Same as 2 and 4, lol

7. Steve Vai vs Ralph Macchio Epic Guitar Battle

- wat

8. Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary

- This just an amazing song; certainly the best on the mix. The lyrics and the delivery on this version are so beautiful. And the chord progressions on the chorus are so good. 

I think having this as a closer restores some appreciation for the overall mix, and ends it on a nice and somber note (how I like it). 

My rating of this mix isn't anything other than a reflection of my personal enjoyment, but I'll give it a 3/8 because that's how many songs I truly liked. I think my Dad would like this a lot better. :P

Edited by Ceres
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Ceres said:

This was the mix I received. My reaction was...mixed. There were a few songs I thoroughly enjoyed, but half of it was not my thing at all. As a continuous playlist, the songs seemed to alternate between classic blues rock and instrumental rock. I like the former, but the latter doesn't really have the aspects of music that I personally enjoy. 

Song-by-song review:

1. Powder Blues - Hear that Guitar Ring 

- This was a very fun piece of blues rock. I don't venture into this genre often but I could see myself putting this on again. I just love the instrumentation on this song - it's all perfect. 

2. Steve Vai - Erotic Nightmare

- I honestly tried but this type of instrumental rock does not do anything for me, sadly. I'd go as far to say as this type of music actually annoys me, haha. I know that probably sounds offensive, but that's just my rigid tastes. I can appreciate it on a technical level. 

3. The Rolling Stones - Happy 

- A classic. Definitely loved this. Beautiful instrumentals and an amazing vocal combination on the chorus. I could listen to this over and over again.  

4. Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover

- See no. 2. It's a slight improvement for me, but probably not something I would want to listen to again. 

5. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing

- I understand this is a cover of the Jimi Hendrix song by the same name? I suppose it's good, but I think it suffers without the vocals. I found myself a bit bored despite the beautiful guitar work. I think my opinion improved a lot upon a subsequent listen. 

6. Joe Satriani - Satch Bogie

- Same as 2 and 4, lol

7. Steve Vai vs Ralph Macchio Epic Guitar Battle

- wat

8. Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary

- This just an amazing song; certainly the best on the mix. The lyrics and the delivery on this version are so beautiful. And the chord progressions on the chorus are so good. 

I think having this as a closer restores some appreciation for the overall mix, and ends it on a nice and somber note (how I like it). 

My rating of this mix isn't anything other than a reflection of my personal enjoyment, but I'll give it a 3/8 because that's how many songs I truly liked. I think my Dad would like this a lot better. :P

Fair enough, I knew this was more "of an age" set.  The whole theme was loving to hear that guitar ring.  These are not necessarily my faves of the respective bands/musicians, but ones that had some good string bending or just let the guitar sing out.  Looking back, I should have left the instrumentals together for a better flow. 

Vai, Satriani. and Johnson comprised the inaugural G3 concert and I was exposed to them all about the same time.  The Steve Vai guitar battle is from a fairly cheesy movie called Crossroads, and the battle is from the movie's climax where Macchio (really Ry Cooder on guitar) is playing for the soul of his friend Willy Brown, and Steve Vai is the Devil's guitarist (could there be a better choice for that... he has the perfect look, dark and risque, IMO).  Kinda the 80's version of Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia".  Steve Vai is my favorite of the three, but Satriani's Surfing With the Alien album is pretty solid with 9 out of 10 tracks I could listen to regularly.

There was a classic rock station down here that folded a year or two ago (not for lack of listeners, but as a result of a merger and FCC regs as a result), and they had a Sunday program where listeners could DJ for an hour.  Hopefulls had to put submit a set list, and wait for their name to get picked.  I never submitted mine (the late Sunday would have made ofr a tougher workday on Monday), but was mentally putting together my list of what I would play in case I ever tried.  I would wrap it up with Powder Blues, probably introducing the band to many here in California.  For that list, I would have left off the four newer pieces.  I couldn't remember my whole list, but I wondered if having the newer stuff  here would broaden the appeal for my list.  In your case, I struck out there :) 

• Cheers 1