The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bailey | #95 | RW

Crabcakes

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Justin Bailey | RW
  • 2 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 9:00 PM, Crabcakes said:

0.58 ppg with Rochester, Lehigh Valley......solid performer

Justin Bailey is a big, strong guy (6’4” 215) that is an amazing skater - he is like a bigger version of Virtanen. He had a slow start (tons of chances, just not finishing). He scored a beauty tonight, powering around the outside of a D - he is up to 7g 7a 14pts in 23 games and 3G 2a in his last 5 games. He looks like a project, much like MacEwen, except that Bailey is definitely a superior skater.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Time to send MacEwan down and call up Bailey.

Big Mac needs to be playing and we need to see what we have with Bailey. Put him in for Schaller for a couple.

There are question marks with Bailey’s defensive play - he is a work in progress - but he is an NHL skater, and hopefully Utica coaches can make him an NHL player. But he really is a very intriguing guy.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Bailey with the hat trick tonight in Utica. This guy is 6’4” 210 and skates like nobody else in the AHL - he has amazing wheels and good hands 19g 11a 30 puts in 39 games. More interestingly, two hat tricks in his last three games.

Been saying it for a few years now (mostly because I had him in fantasy until recently), kid has ALL the tools to be an NHL player. Now it's just a matter of whether he can put them together at this level.

Exceedingly low risk/high reward signing this summer and I was thrilled we took a chance on him.

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Bailey with the hat trick tonight in Utica. This guy is 6’4” 210 and skates like nobody else in the AHL - he has amazing wheels and good hands 19g 11a 30 puts in 39 games. More interestingly, two hat tricks in his last three games.

16 points in his last 16 games...he is turning into a consistent threat ...hope he gets the defensive side of his game down now....

• Cheers 2

Maybe some others that watch the Comets regularly can comment but I wonder about his ability to play consistently in the NHL?  He skates like Jake does but he seems to loose the puck a lot.  Also, he is a big guy who doesn't really play that big heavy game that you expect from a guy his size.  I would like to hear what others think.  B) 

Edited by dpn1

Alex Grenier was prominent in the AHL and fizzled any time he stepped into the NHL. Hopefully Bailey is just a late bloomer rather than a good AHL player. Maybe Benning's comments about looking for another top 6 guy has motivated some players internally. Benning never said it had to be acquired through trade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Maybe some others that watch the Comets regularly can comment but I wonder about his ability to play consistently in the NHL?  He skates like Jake does but he seems to loose the puck a lot.  Also, he is a big guy who doesn't really play that big heavy game that you expect from a guy his size.  I would like to hear what others think.  B) 

I think he skates like crazy, is mostly too big to take off the puck once he gets position on a defender, and incidentally scores goals in bunches.

• Cheers 1

Two hat tricks in three nights, not bad for a guy someone called a plug.  He has been good for the Comets this year and could be a nice little surprise. Just no room for him really but they should let him get a cup of coffee up in the bigs at least.