The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bailey | #95 | RW

Crabcakes

On 1/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I doubt it. Sutter just got back and Ferland isn't too far out now. We already have Schaller and Big Mac sitting. Leivo could come back in a month too.

Way too many forwards as it is.

The thing about Vancouver and injuries... is that they just keep happening.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I doubt it. Sutter just got back and Ferland isn't too far out now. We already have Schaller and Big Mac sitting. Leivo could come back in a month too.

Way too many forwards as it is.

Sure sucks having so much depth on the main team, the farm team and scattered around the globe. Major headache. JB needs to be fired!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Sure sucks having so much depth on the main team, the farm team and scattered around the globe. Major headache. JB needs to be fired!

For sure.

We way too many guys on the cusp of making it and he is responsible for the best drafting in recent memory, definitely should be let go

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The thing about Vancouver and injuries... is that they just keep happening.

This season is an enigma. Like our D-core is usually decimated but Edler/Tanev have been relatively healthy.

That said we have Leivo and Ferland in the wings with Ferland not being too far away. We've got a lot of forwards that are capable of playing, more depth than we've had in a long long time.

• Like 2

Seems like Benning has taken notice:

SN: You just had your pro scouting meetings, five weeks ahead of the Feb. 24 trade deadline. Are those meetings more fun when you may actually be a buyer at the deadline after several years of trying to sell assets?

JB: We’re getting to a point now where we’ve drafted well and are developing players in the minors. We’ve got guys down there that we need to get them some games up here. (Justin) Bailey has three hat tricks. He’s playing good and it would be nice to have a look at him (in the NHL). We’ve had some defencemen (like Brogan Rafferty) who have had good seasons and we’d like to get a look at them. There are some players down there now ready to play NHL games.

SN: How does that impact your deadline thinking?

JB: In other years, we were scrambling to find players. Now we’ve got guys who are waiting for their chance. That’s exciting for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

Seems like Benning has taken notice:

SN: You just had your pro scouting meetings, five weeks ahead of the Feb. 24 trade deadline. Are those meetings more fun when you may actually be a buyer at the deadline after several years of trying to sell assets?

JB: We’re getting to a point now where we’ve drafted well and are developing players in the minors. We’ve got guys down there that we need to get them some games up here. (Justin) Bailey has three hat tricks. He’s playing good and it would be nice to have a look at him (in the NHL). We’ve had some defencemen (like Brogan Rafferty) who have had good seasons and we’d like to get a look at them. There are some players down there now ready to play NHL games.

SN: How does that impact your deadline thinking?

JB: In other years, we were scrambling to find players. Now we’ve got guys who are waiting for their chance. That’s exciting for us.

I mean this is the aim right? It really should be the aim if it's not. 

The farm should function as a conveyor belt of on the cusp NHLers. Trade the ones that are replaceable for more assets while replacing them with in house talent. And the cycle begins again. 

I can't remember a time the Canucks had this much depth in all positions. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

The farm should function as a conveyor belt of on the cusp NHLers. Trade the ones that are replaceable for more assets while replacing them with in house talent. And the cycle begins again. 

Now it’s just if Benning can cycle those guys out and bring these guys up. I’m thinking he stays pat and we just see more guys walk in the off-season unfortunately.

12 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Hoping to see some fat trimming. Move out the likes of Schaller... and Baer if we can find a taker (even with a small add/retention).

Maybe even Leivo (if he's healthy in time) or Stecher (assuming we plan to keep Tanev).

Hell I'd even kick tires in Sutter.

• Cheers 2

Bailey is finally looking like a stud at the AHL level. Rafferty as well.

If both can translate that success to the NHL, we are in -amazing- shape with our prospects considering we also have Madden, Pods, Hogs, Juolevi, and several B level prospects.

We all knew the kind of prospect pool we had earlier with Hughes and Petey in the mix, but now that they have moved on we actually look even better in that regard as it pertains to the volume of good prospects. (Though I doubt any prospect in our system will become as good as either).

The issue with Bailey will be where does he fit in at the next level?

Hes not a top 6 in the NHL so can he fit a third or fourth line role? Can he kill penalties and provide some physicality?

We see lots of players put up points in the A but are unable to find their role at the next level. We’d need something more from him than just being a scorer.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Hes not a top 6 in the NHL so can he fit a third or fourth line role? Can he kill penalties and provide some physicality?

We see lots of players put up points in the A but are unable to find their role at the next level. We’d need something more from him than just being a scorer.

Be interesting to see what he sustains over the next few weeks.  I don’t ever recall a player scoring that much in the A.  Not like I’m expecting a hat trick per game, but is he just hot?  Lucky?  

that combo with his size is appealing no matter where he slots into the lineup.  Always room for a bruiser with hands that can stick his ars in the tenders face alla Byfuglien certa 2010

11 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Be interesting to see what he sustains over the next few weeks.  I don’t ever recall a player scoring that much in the A.  Not like I’m expecting a hat trick per game, but is he just hot?  Lucky?  

that combo with his size is appealing no matter where he slots into the lineup.  Always room for a bruiser with hands that can stick his ars in the tenders face alla Byfuglien certa 2010

Is he a bruiser though?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

this seems to be his best season anywhere, so who knows I suppose he could be a late bloomer. I don't know what went wrong in Buffalo (OK maybe it was just Buffalo). 

Darren Archibald could score in the AHL too. Not really sure what we have here yet. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'd say he has solid 3rd line potential.

He's certainly more translateable (size, speed etc) to bottom 6 than say Boucher, whom he keeps getting compared to for some strange reason.

Really only one way to find out for sure though...

Edited by aGENT

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bailey?  I don’t think so.  If he was a bruiser/bopper he’d never have been demoted to the AHL.  Skill, size, skating.  If he bopped he’d be for sure on an NHL roster, no? 

If his defensive game was not up to snuff probably not in today's NHL

Bailey was seen heading to airport or maybe even the train station this morning.  Canucks are coming east to face Islanders so he will beat the team there.  He could actually drive there in 4 hours.  Might be an issue if the farm was out west.  Better keep it in Utica.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, aGENT said:

Hoping to see some fat trimming. Move out the likes of Schaller... and Baer if we can find a taker (even with a small add/retention).

Maybe even Leivo (if he's healthy in time) or Stecher (assuming we plan to keep Tanev).

Hell I'd even kick tires in Sutter.

Were leading the division and you want to trade all our depth away? Not happening.

JB going to stand pat. He'll try to win a round or two. Depth wins playoff series. 

In summer couple guys will walk as UFA and guys from the farm will replace them for next season.