The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bailey | #95 | RW

Crabcakes

30 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Were leading the division and you want to trade all our depth away? Not happening.

JB going to stand pat. He'll try to win a round or two. Depth wins playoff series. 

In summer couple guys will walk as UFA and guys from the farm will replace them for next season. 

Nope, FAR from all our depth.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I'd like to see Bailey get some Canucks ice time.

Pearson  Horvat  Ericksson

JT Miller  Pettersson  Virtanen

Roussel  Gaudette  Boeser

Sutter  Beagle  Bailey 

I would as well but would maybe like to see something like this for the line up

Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser

Roussel, Gaudette, Bailey

a) Eriksson, Sutter, and either Schaller or McEwen if Beagle is out due to injury OR

b) Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter; if Beagle is good to go for Saturdays game

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would as well but would maybe like to see something like this for the line up

Miller, Pettersson, Virtanen

Pearson, Horvat, Boeser

Roussel, Gaudette, Bailey

a) Eriksson, Sutter, and either Schaller or McEwen if Beagle is out due to injury OR

b) Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter; if Beagle is good to go for Saturdays game

I would not be opposed to that.

But the way the team has been winning Green won't change up that Horvat line imo. He will stick with what has been hot and has worked. And shocking to us all, Loui has worked on Horvat's line.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think JB should just make a trade that makes sense if it's even there. No use in forcing moving out players. That just puts us at an unnecessary disadvantage based on simple negotiating tactics in my opinion.

I also think we're buying, not selling at this point, albeit probably buying on a budget. lol

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think JB should just make a trade that makes sense if it's even there. No use in forcing moving out players. That just puts us at an unnecessary disadvantage based on simple negotiating tactics in my opinion.

I also think we're buying, not selling at this point, albeit probably buying on a budget. lol

This roster needs playoff experience but Benning should not be buying talent. He should be using his prospects if needed. Talks of acquiring another top 6 forward is highly counterproductive when you consider the cost. I said last spring that the team would make playoffs this year and stand by that. That said serious CUP contention is 2-3 years out. Build towards that by developing the prospect pool.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This roster needs playoff experience but Benning should not be buying talent. He should be using his prospects if needed. Talks of acquiring another top 6 forward is highly counterproductive when you consider the cost. I said last spring that the team would make playoffs this year and stand by that. That said serious CUP contention is 2-3 years out. Build towards that by developing the prospect pool.  

That is essentially what JB said his plan is in the last few interviews.

He also specifically brought up Bailey as someone he would like to see get some NHL time.

6'4" 215 and can really skate.  Seems to be really getting what it is to be a pro and has been on a hell of a heater.

I don't think we will see any significant roster players get moved this season but could see some space clear up in the offseason if JB can make some room.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

Who said anything about forcing anything? :blink:

Schaller is a decent, inexpensive depth piece I could see say BOS having interest in bringing back, for a late pick. He had success in a depth role there. We'll still have Ferland, Leivo, Bailey and MacEwan etc as depth (hardly 'gutting' our depth).

If we're not planning on bringing Stecher back, we could move him as well (though he's likely a summer move, if one at all) and still have Benn, Rafferty, Brisebois, Saunter, Juolevi etc as recall options. But again, he's likely a summer move. Still something to explore though to see if anyone is a fit as a trade partner/willing to pony up.

Moving Baer is hardly a threat to our depth either and would be in fact a move for the player as much as it would benefit us to clear some cap.

And none of this stops us from picking up a piece as well. They may in fact even be part of that.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, aGENT said:

Hoping to see some fat trimming. Move out the likes of Schaller... and Baer if we can find a taker (even with a small add/retention).

Maybe even Leivo (if he's healthy in time) or Stecher (assuming we plan to keep Tanev).

Hell I'd even kick tires in Sutter.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Schaller Baer Leivo  Stecher Sutter

Lol thats more than all our depth. You get rid of all those players canucks might not make the playoffs. They definetely dont win the division. 

JB not going to do anything remotely close to this. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Schaller Baer Leivo  Stecher Sutter

Lol thats more than all our depth. You get rid of all those players canucks might not make the playoffs. They definetely dont win the division. 

JB not going to do anything remotely close to this. 

No it isn't.

I also never suggested we'd be getting rid of ALL of them either. Shop all, move some. It also ignores what might be coming back.

Sutter and Stecher are long shots to move but I'd kick tires on what's out there for them, certainly. Leivo you could probably put in limbo between the two situations (if he's even back/healthy). The rest would not be missed.

Edited by aGENT

On 1/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, DeNiro said:

Is he a bruiser though?

No, he isn't.  Never has been at any level he's played and he still isn't.

People are entranced by his size/skill package and think if he could just.....then he be.....but he hasn't. 

CDC looks at his Utica numbers and thinks we have something there, people won't like hearing it but Brendan Gaunce comes to mind when I think of Bailey. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No it isn't.

I also never suggested we'd be getting rid of ALL of them either. Shop all, move some. It also ignores what might be coming back.

Sutter and Stecher are long shots to move but I'd kick tires on what's out there for them, certainly. Leivo you could probably put in limbo between the two situations (if he's even back/healthy). The rest would not be missed.

Yes it is.

If you take out a top 6 Dman and 3 of your forwards from NHL roster you're team just lost all its depth. 

If TBL did that or BOS or WSH did that it would mean the same thing. They would no longer be deep teams. 

What might be coming back? You're proposing trading vets for vets?. Thats silly ... why not keep own vets who are helping team lead the division. Whats the purpose of trading away players from a division leading team to bring back other similar players who might not fit in. 

TDL trades are picks or prospects for your vets or vice versa. Might be a salary equalizer coming back but that's usually a player who is of no help to anyone. This is something completely new you are proposing and completely unrealistic.  

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes it is.

If you take out a top 6 Dman and 3 of your forwards from NHL roster you're team just lost all its depth. 

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No it isn't.

I also never suggested we'd be getting rid of ALL of them either. Shop all, move some.

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

What might be coming back? You're proposing trading vets for vets?.

Nope.

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

No, he isn't.  Never has been at any level he's played and he still isn't.

People are entranced by his size/skill package and think if he could just.....then he be.....but he hasn't. 

CDC looks at his Utica numbers and thinks we have something there, people won't like hearing it but Brendan Gaunce comes to mind when I think of Bailey. 

Bailey has elite speed (and better offensive tools). Things Gaunce never had. Gaunce had a better understanding of/more developed defensive play though. They're not really good comparables.

Bailey won't likely ever be a banger/crasher but he could be a solid 3rd line W'er if he can translate his game, using his speed and shot and using his size to protect the puck, create space etc (more than hitting/physicality anyway). Something akin to a David Booth is likely more apt of a (Canuck related) comparable.

If any of his scoring, physicality improves or defensive play improves, he'd be a solid add. He needs to show he can translate one (or more if we're lucky!) of those attributes to the NHL. He's got the speed and body to play at this level.

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

Bailey has elite speed (and better offensive tools). Things Gaunce never had. Gaunce had a better understanding of/more developed defensive play though. They're not really good comparables.

Bailey won't likely ever be a banger/crasher but he could be a solid 3rd line W'er if he can translate his game, using his speed and shot and using his size to protect the puck, create space etc (more than hitting/physicality anyway). Something akin to a David Booth is likely more apt of a (Canuck related) comparable.

If any of his scoring, physicality improves or defensive play improves, he'd be a solid add. He needs to show he can translate one (or more if we're lucky!) of those attributes to the NHL. He's got the speed and body to play at this level.

Ohh i see. So you want to trade away vets from a division leading team and replace them with unproven guys like Bailey. Lmao. :picard:

Bailey will be 25 yrs old in the summer.  He's played 63 career NHL games 9 career Pts. And you wanna trade away NHL roster players from a division leading team to replace with likes of Bailey. Ok..

Are you kidding... JB should/would be fired for a rediculous move like that.

Dont you think other teams have players on their AHL teams? Why do they need to give up assets for you're depth NHL roster players..they can just call up their "Baileys and McEwens" from their own farm teams. Lol. 

Dont hold you're breath thats not happening. 

It is true Bailey has been a fringe player until now, but he has taken a step forward, and this is where coaching comes in.  Bailey might be the kind of player who can find a niche with the Canucks under Travis.  I watched LA last night and Travis never liked Ben Hutton, but Hutton looked very good on the 2d pairing and is doing ok with LA.  He had an incredible assist on LA's first goal.  Bailey might be able to contribute, but you won't know until you throw him in there and see if he is playing the way Travis wants.    

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ohh i see. So you want to trade away vets from a division leading team and replace them with unproven guys like Bailey. Lmao. :picard:

Bailey will be 25 yrs old in the summer.  He's played 63 career NHL games 9 career Pts. And you wanna trade away NHL roster players from a division leading team to replace with likes of Bailey. Ok..

Are you kidding... JB should/would be fired for a rediculous move like that.

Dont you think other teams have players on their AHL teams? Why do they need to give up assets for you're depth NHL roster players..they can just call up their "Baileys and McEwens" from their own farm teams. Lol. 

Dont hold you're breath thats not happening. 

Nope again.

I'd be ok replacing our 14th F Schaller, with the likes of Bailey. We have a returning Ferland, Leivo et al (ie: actual NHL players) IF we did move an actual, current roster player like Sutter. Or Benn to slot in IF we moved Stecher (which again, is likely a summer move anyway, if it happens at all).

Perhaps you'd have more success in this discussion if you stopped straw-manning every single post with points I never made...?

Other teams have depth AHL players, they (unlike us with the likes of Ferland, Leivo etc) don't have depth NHL players. Many of them are too tight against the cap and couldn't retain them (see: how we signed Schaller in the first place). They do however tend to add them for cheap at TDL's when they have 1/4 of a season cap hit on an expiring deal (Schaller), for playoff depth. Happens EVERY year.

As for the 'what might be coming back" comment, and again no, I'm suggesting that Benning may look at the possibility of packaging roster players for an upgrade. Perhaps a retained Sutter with Stecher for an impending RFA the other team won't be able to afford, or a piece he feels we're lacking. Or perhaps (dare I say) Virtanen + Stecher. You don't think there's a possibility we could potentially sell high on Virtanen, package him with the like of Stecher (and/or other pieces, prospects etc) for a pretty nice top 6 player or potentially a D?

Now don't confuse that for me suggesting we should or have to trade Virtanen. I'm perfectly happy to keep him now that he's meeting his draft expectations. But Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't look to see who he might be able to nab for a package involving him, particularly with him on an expiring deal. Now for THAT he might be fired. 

Notice I'm not declaring any of this as absolutes or future certainties. I'm suggesting Benning can and will be kicking tires on any of these scenarios as potential moves. Any number could happen or we may do absolutely nothing at all. But I guarantee you, he WILL be looking in to all of them (and more).

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Who said anything about forcing anything? :blink:

Schaller is a decent, inexpensive depth piece I could see say BOS having interest in bringing back, for a late pick. He had success in a depth role there. We'll still have Ferland, Leivo, Bailey and MacEwan etc as depth (hardly 'gutting' our depth).

If we're not planning on bringing Stecher back, we could move him as well (though he's likely a summer move, if one at all) and still have Benn, Rafferty, Brisebois, Saunter, Juolevi etc as recall options. But again, he's likely a summer move. Still something to explore though to see if anyone is a fit as a trade partner/willing to pony up.

Moving Baer is hardly a threat to our depth either and would be in fact a move for the player as much as it would benefit us to clear some cap.

And none of this stops us from picking up a piece as well. They may in fact even be part of that.

My only issue with this is who of those 4 would you put in a PK role should our regulars go down (we have seen recently after losing Motte and potentially Beagle, Sutter is fragile, presumably we want to keep Miller and Horvat in offensive situations more and not wear them down).

I think Schaller still provides depth in an area that is important. All four of those guys are in a similar situation and almost is too much depth. Unfortunately Leivo is hurt as he would've been the one that I would've moved out for a low pick as we are unlikely able to fit him in next season as well. MacEwen is likely the next guy in line for PK IMO, but he is raw at the NHL level and is certainly a downgrade atm to Schaller.

@aGENT

Now you just wanna trade Schaller and replace him with Bailey?. What will you get for Schaller ... a 7th rounder ?. most likely future considerations??. Lol.

Now Stecher gets traded in summer... Leivo Sutter are off youre trade board?.  

Ya.. youre all over the place. 

You went from wanting to trade Leivo Baer Schaller Sutter Stecher...

To

Trading Schaller replacing him with Bailey..

Ok. Why would you do that. What purpose does that serve?. You're not getting anything of value for Schaller. Bailey can be called up from minors if needed. Schaller is much better than Bailey on the NHL roster.

What goals are you trying to achieve by trading Schaller and replacing him with Bailey?