The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's Bianca Andreescu defeats Serena Williams at US Open

Dazzle

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/bianca-andreescu-wta-rankings-1.5275831

I didn't see a post of it in the tennis thread which is absolutely insane.

I will admit I am not the biggest tennis fan; however, I feel sad that there was little to no recognition for a Canadian woman beating an American legend on a hockey/sports forum.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I will admit I am not the biggest tennis fan; however, I feel sad that there was little to no recognition for a Canadian woman beating an American legend on a hockey/sports forum.

I hear excessive masturbation can lead to blindness.....B)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Late to this party. Haven't seen her play yet..but just saw her(post-Championship) interview. Such composure for a young lady.

Finally a GS-winner in tennis..& I recall cheering for Darling-Carling, way back in the day. I hope Raonic & Bouchard can also draw some inspiration, & win some big tourneys.

Honestly, I think Felix is our best chance at a Grand Slam win on the men's side.

Feds, Joker and Nadal can't play forever, can they? :unsure:

22 hours ago, Dazzle said:

come on settle down please

you really think a sport like this has much relevance or importance on a hockey board?

why?

a sport that stole a key component of street and basement hockey in my growing up (the tennis ball)

and built an odd sport up around it

is now worthy of mention??

next you are gonna want to celebrate

gardening in canada

cuz of all the tomato plants that were propped up

by broken hockey sticks

:bigblush:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I think Felix is our best chance at a Grand Slam win on the men's side.

Feds, Joker and Nadal can't play forever, can they? :unsure:

I'm counting on Shap for some good things...

His match was pretty incredible and I feel he has some of the same characteristics ("never give up") as Bianca.  Highlights are here:

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/monfils-shapovalov-us-open-2019-saturday

• Cheers 1

I've been out of the loop a little this week, school starting, travel, personal issues.

I was at the US Open for 2 days this year and saw Bianca play. Fantastic demeanour, truly grinds out games and matches. On top of it she is very entertaining to watch with her combination of power and touch (I love how she hits drop shots).

Really pumped for her and for Canadian tennis in the future. Its such a great sport and even amongst my friends, people are starting to get into it. 

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm counting on Shap for some good things...

I love the way Shapo plays. I think is in a similar ilk of Gael Monflis (My favourite non Canadian player not named Fed). Good players who will threaten the big players, but might never win a major.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

I've been out of the loop a little this week, school starting, travel, personal issues.

I was at the US Open for 2 days this year and saw Bianca play. Fantastic demeanour, truly grinds out games and matches. On top of it she is very entertaining to watch with her combination of power and touch (I love how she hits drop shots).

Really pumped for her and for Canadian tennis in the future. Its such a great sport and even amongst my friends, people are starting to get into it. 

I love the way Shapo plays. I think is in a similar ilk of Gael Monflis (My favourite non Canadian player not named Fed). Good players who will threaten the big players, but might never win a major.

The thing about Bianca is she can play any style/game...that makes her lethal.  She can adjust - she has power and finesse.  But, mostly, I really do think her mental game is strong enough and that's a huge thing...some players are good but when pressure hits, they can fold under it.  She seems so well prepared - whether it be through using meditation when the going gets rough or other things she's got in her toolbag to help her.

Her parents demeanor spoke volumes...so cool and composed and I'm sure they've instilled that in her.

The bar is set very high for her and she's currently experiencing some superstar treatment - key is, to stay focused through it all and not get too caught up in it.  I wonder if that wasn't part of it for Bouchard.

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I wonder if that wasn't part of it for Bouchard.

Here is a story from 2016, that I had never seen, but it might yield a clue:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/cam-cole-genies-eating-disorder-no-thing-of-beauty/ar-BBtrypM

"

Perhaps the saddest of them, from a post-match interview Tuesday at the French Open: Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard — who in a single year went from No. 7 in the world and being touted as the new face of women’s tennis to No. 46 and trying to make a comeback with yet another new coach — acknowledges that she has battled an eating disorder.

She is 22 years old, still young enough to be self-conscious and insecure. And let’s not kid ourselves: commentators liked that she was darn good at tennis, but loved that she is blond, and gorgeous. She would not be unaware of that.

Mounting expectations, declining results, stress … no doubt all contributed to her listless play, the turmoil within her circle, her inability to keep food down, which she now says she has overcome."

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/tennis/cam-cole-genies-eating-disorder-no-thing-of-beauty/ar-BBtrypM

"

Perhaps the saddest of them, from a post-match interview Tuesday at the French Open: Canadian tennis star Eugenie Bouchard — who in a single year went from No. 7 in the world and being touted as the new face of women’s tennis to No. 46 and trying to make a comeback with yet another new coach — acknowledges that she has battled an eating disorder.

She is 22 years old, still young enough to be self-conscious and insecure. And let’s not kid ourselves: commentators liked that she was darn good at tennis, but loved that she is blond, and gorgeous. She would not be unaware of that.

Mounting expectations, declining results, stress … no doubt all contributed to her listless play, the turmoil within her circle, her inability to keep food down, which she now says she has overcome."

Wow....that really explains a lot.

Sorry to hear she had that battle to fight...stress/anxiety are HUGE obstacles and if you're not "fit" mentally it really does impact the ability to perform physically.  Thanks for sharing that and offering some insight.  The demands that come with fame and fortune are great ones....it's not all smooth sailing to be under the scrutiny of the public eye.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

"

The severe concussion when she was still ranked high didn't help at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1