The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks add new hockey operations staff

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think it's a question that Clarke was better. People act like Cloutier was a mass murderer. He sucked in the playoffs but few people on the team did well. Most goalies don't make it through to the finals, let alone good ones.

That team completely ignored the defensive side of the game and let Clouts out to dry in unimaginable ways.  He wasn't nearly as bad as most think and was a great personality on that club.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Credit is overdue/always has been overdue for Cloutier. Under his watch, he has been part of the reason why the Canucks' goaltending has been so strong. The fact that Benning kept him for all these years reflects how good he really is as a coach/person. He may not have been the ENTIRE reason why the Canucks goaltending has been so strong, but he has certainly been helpful.

The hate on him has always been irrational, but this "glad he is gone" sentiment is especially confusing. Did he slaughter your kids and use their blood as crayon ink?

No hate man, but no the goaltending was not strong with clouts, last year was because of Ian Clarke.   

Clouts though not a bad coach was average at best.  Tell me, which goalie prospects did he really take to the next level?  He left because he couldn't commit his full focus on the goalies so no he wasn't top notch at all.  Again all the best to him, but watch Demko, Dipietro and other prospects really flourish going forward.... Ian Clarke is the guru, he wrote the dam book... Clouts was as average a coach as his goaltending was.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

No hate man, but no the goaltending was not strong with clouts, last year was because of Ian Clarke.   

Clouts though not a bad coach was average at best.  Tell me, which goalie prospects did he really take to the next level?  He left because he couldn't commit his full focus on the goalies so no he wasn't top notch at all.  Again all the best to him, but watch Demko, Dipietro and other prospects really flourish going forward.... Ian Clarke is the guru, he wrote the dam book... Clouts was as average a coach as his goaltending was.  

Same as with Luongo, Clarke got Markstrom to just stand still most of the time. Most of his wtf moments in years past were due to him being all over the place in the crease. Stand still, let your size do most of the work for you. Work on your reaction time and tracking of the puck with your eyes. Its not really rocket appliances what Clarke's system is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That team completely ignored the defensive side of the game and let Clouts out to dry in unimaginable ways.  He wasn't nearly as bad as most think and was a great personality on that club.

it's generally accepted that the WCE era team was a goalie away from cup contention. The defense was actually great: Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Sopel, Bryan Allen, and Marek Malik were our top 6. Pretty solid.

Clouts had periods of greatness (he was actually my favorite player on that team growing up) but he was very inconsistent and was bit of a headcase. He lacked the calm demeanor and strong mentality that you see in pretty much every truly great goaltender.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

it's generally accepted that the WCE era team was a goalie away from cup contention. The defense was actually great: Ohlund, Jovo, Salo, Sopel, Bryan Allen, and Marek Malik were our top 6. Pretty solid.

Clouts had periods of greatness (he was actually my favorite player on that team growing up) but he was very inconsistent and was bit of a headcase. He lacked the calm demeanor and strong mentality that you see in pretty much every truly great goaltender.

defense isn't just defensemen.  Ohlund and salo were excellent defenders and malik was adequate.  Jovo was more of a rover and Sopel........well.  Allen was young and didn't play much.  That said, it was more the fwds leaving them all out to dry

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

That's how I remember this era as well. The WCE was good and the D was good but Clouts was very inconsistent and seemed to always let in that "soft" goal at the least opportune times. He did not do well in the playoffs either as I remember it. We thought we were getting more when he came here, kind of like LE. ::D

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Credit is overdue/always has been overdue for Cloutier. Under his watch, he has been part of the reason why the Canucks' goaltending has been so strong. The fact that Benning kept him for all these years reflects how good he really is as a coach/person. He may not have been the ENTIRE reason why the Canucks goaltending has been so strong, but he has certainly been helpful.

The hate on him has always been irrational, but this "glad he is gone" sentiment is especially confusing. Did he slaughter your kids and use their blood as crayon ink?

Dead on! People are idiots!! Negative is as negative does! They can’t seem to separate player from coach. Although, I’d argue that he was a better goalie than some give him credit for. I’ve read / heard on multiple occasions, the goalies, other coaches & GM give him a lot of credit for where all the goalies are at / their progression. While most of that had to do with Melanson / Clarke, clearly he played a role. It’s ridiculous that this has been said over and over and yet some people still crap on him / can’t give him credit. 

Sooooo tired of some of our fans / media! 

Edited by IRR
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IRR said:

Dead on! People are idiots!! Negative is as negative does! They can’t seem to separate player from coach. Although, I’d argue that he was a better goalie than some give him credit for. I’ve read / heard on multiple occasions, the goalies, other coaches & GM give him a lot of credit for where all the goalies are at / their progression. While most of that had to do with Melanson / Clarke, clearly he played a roll. It’s ridiculous that this has been said over and over and yet some people still crap on him / can’t give him credit. 

People are idiots. The problem with many on this board is that they have no |"Spin Detector"

Remember when MG said, "Another team is interested in Lou" ?

Spin, didn't happen.

Remember when Trevor said he was not being hired b the Canucks, but signed the next day?

Spin

Remember when Jim and Trevor said the team needed tweeking and the Sedins could make another run?

Spin, didn't happen

Remember any team ever saying "Our goalie coach sucks!"

no? that never happens

They say nice things and part ways, that is how it spins

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IRR said:

Dead on! People are idiots!! Negative is as negative does! They can’t seem to separate player from coach. Although, I’d argue that he was a better goalie than some give him credit for. I’ve read / heard on multiple occasions, the goalies, other coaches & GM give him a lot of credit for where all the goalies are at / their progression. While most of that had to do with Melanson / Clarke, clearly he played a roll. It’s ridiculous that this has been said over and over and yet some people still crap on him / can’t give him credit. 

Futher, I find it amusing how many fans believe that the media are evil sheperds and the fans are mindless sheep.

I rarely actually hear fans parroting the media, but often hear "knowledgable fans" parroting the GM or coach.

I hear "knowledgable fans" parrot "age gap" or "character guys"  like they are "in" with the GM on his analysis.

There are 2 kinds of "positive people" on this board

the real positivos like Appolo, who have rainbows flying out their butts, and they are OK by me,

and the "double negs", who feel that double negging the negs makes them superior and somehow positive, while they are really just jumping at every perceived negative and doubling the negitudes. Double negative is as double negative does... twice. 

30 minutes ago, lmm said:

Futher, I find it amusing how many fans believe that the media are evil sheperds and the fans are mindless sheep.

I rarely actually hear fans parroting the media, but often hear "knowledgable fans" parroting the GM or coach.

I hear "knowledgable fans" parrot "age gap" or "character guys"  like they are "in" with the GM on his analysis.

There are 2 kinds of "positive people" on this board

the real positivos like Appolo, who have rainbows flying out their butts, and they are OK by me,

and the "double negs", who feel that double negging the negs makes them superior and somehow positive, while they are really just jumping at every perceived negative and doubling the negitudes. Double negative is as double negative does... twice. 

You have to be blind, def & dumb not to see / hear some of the negativity / ignorance coming from the media and some fans. And, YES, they feed off each other! And guess what, that’s exactly what it is...negativity / ignorance. Not what’s actually going on with the team or how the team is doing. And guess what again, people like myself are tired of it!!! There’s a big difference between media / fans being negative / ignorant for the sake of being, well negative / ignorant and people like myself standing up against it. I suppose you’d call a police officer (negative) for giving someone a ticket for running a red light (something negative). 

Why are we tired of it, because 90% of the time it uncalled for and it’s not based of facts or reality, it’s based on people’s negative agenda / ignorance!!! 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, IRR said:

You have to be blind, def & dumb not to see / hear some of the negativity / ignorance coming from the media and some fans. And, YES, they feed off each other! And guess what, that’s exactly what it is...negativity / ignorance. Not what’s actually going on with the team or how the team is doing. And guess what again, people like myself are tired of it!!! There’s a big difference between media / fans being negative / ignorant for the sake of being, well negative / ignorant and people like myself standing up against it. I suppose you’d call a police officer (negative) for giving someone a ticket for running a red light (something negative). 

Why are we tired of it, because 90% of the time it uncalled for and it’s not based of facts or reality, it’s based on people’s negative agenda / ignorance!!! 

well that wasn't a very negative post

you sir are a beacon of positivity

Edited by lmm
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

who is this roody poo

99% of the time, I am level and patient with my views on the team decisions because well... What the hell do I really know, I'm not behind the scenes.  I just know the history if Cloutier as a goalie for the canucks... How he dealt with the fallout after his part in the repeated failed attempt of the westcoast express not advancing in the playoffs.  Then as a hockey coach, not seeing any and I mean any marketable improvement with the goalies, prospect or roster, during his time here. 

.... Maybe, just maybe he, like his days on the team, didn't have the sufficient support around him to succeed, but I look at the results... Because that's all I can judge, at best.  So Twilight you might find me a little crass... But hey we all have our 'lightning rod' opinions and this is one of mine.    

Clouts kinda sad to hear him going....was hoping he would teach Demko how to fight in goalie gear ha 

maybe Green still remembers this ha

Also for the poster showing shade at clouts...he was no Lo but also he didn't have the goalie coaches they have now adays.... Or the rules.....

I would take clouts over weeks or snow any day. 

For goalie coaching I think his a second hand guy...I look at markstrom since he got here and he has gotten better on both sides of the game mental and tracking the pucks.....but there's better guys out there....we have them , Clarke comes to mind... 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1