The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Michael Stone

No, Stone took a big hit on this deal. He had no requirement to re-sign and could have done so with any other team....

You guys are freaking out over nothing. Flames will also have a cap hit next year on account of the buyout. They are spreading it out over 2 years to minimize  it.... perfectly within league rules.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He still gets paid the full amount, does he not?

no I believe he was old enough to receive 2/3 of his salary. I guess with the 700k deal it gets him most of the way back to what he would have made this year but he still takes a hit. I guess he really likes Calgary.

• Cheers 1

How is this legal? I thought if you bought a player out you couldnt sign him...Laffs would do that for league minimum with Marleau most likely.

However this is allowed is a joke, yet we get stuck with a 3m cap hit for Luongo retiring....NHL is against the Canucks

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would he re-sign with the team that screwed him out of salary? I don't get it, unless it was his 1 and only offer. I suppose he can get his revenge by missing a check or two. 

He is making 1/3rd of $3.5 mill for his buyout. $1.133 or whatever that math is this year and next.

Guess he is just deciding an extra $700K, the chance to still play is worth more than his pride.

Good for him. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cdubuya said:

No, Stone took a big hit on this deal. He had no requirement to re-sign and could have done so with any other team....

You guys are freaking out over nothing. Flames will also have a cap hit next year on account of the buyout. They are spreading it out over 2 years to minimize  it.... perfectly within league rules.

Luongo contract was within league rules too.  Canucks still got screwed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He is making 1/3rd of $3.5 mill for his buyout. $1.133 or whatever that math is this year and next.

Guess he is just deciding an extra $700K, the chance to still play is worth more than his pride.

Good for him. 

Ah OK I didn't know his exact details. Personally I would have told Calgary to go &^@# themselves but thats me. 

• Cheers 1