The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Julius Honka requests trade

On 9/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think of Tonka. 

I loved those old steel toys. 

Back when they were made of steel, and lasted in the sandbox and could not be broken. 

We (brothers and I) had a dump truck and a grader - the dump truck up until we were about six or seven we could sit on and go flying down a steep street next our house - remember crashing into the backs of cars doing this.   No helmets of course.  Thing was indestructible.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

We (brothers and I) had a dump truck and a grader - the dump truck up until we were about six or seven we could sit on and go flying down a steep street next our house - remember crashing into the backs of cars doing this.   No helmets of course.  Thing was indestructible.

https://tonka.funrise.com/product-category/steel/

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ha ha ... the Mighty Dump Truck sure looks like the one...back in the late seventies the one my brother had was funner to sit in and play crash test dummies down the street hill then anything else...if we could make it to the bottom without bashing into the back of a parked car, or the occasional one that came out of the driveway - we’d hit the bottom doing 30plus KMs per hour and roll onto the neighbors lawn (maybe twelve houses down from the start) in a culd-desac - then if we were really lucky, we avoided mean dogs that would bark and chase us (and the crap on the lawn).  

Skinned knees and bruises were the norm growing up.   We did this with our bikes too (went down the hill without using brakes - that was for pussies - at the end would deliberately crash and roll onto the lawn playing “Death Star x-wing battle scenes “, the road was the trench) helmets weren’t in yet either - but we had pads on bikes to protect our balls - not that it did much). 

Things we did for fun back before devices and TVs were used to placate kids.   Street Hockey was fun too of course. 

• Upvote 2

Per Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

12. As reported previously, both Carolina and Montreal are among teams looking closely at Dallas’s Julius Honka. I’d heard Calgary was, too, but that does not appear recent. Expect the Flames to be very careful with Juuso Valimaki. They will not rush him back. Long career ahead of him.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-byfuglien-decision-will-major-ripple-effect/

On 9/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, smithers joe said:

louie and a 3rd for honka and a 6th.  if honka can’t make the team, wave him. if he is picked up, we’ve moved louie for a 3rd rounder.  retain some money if need be. problem solved. 

There is no way they would do this . Would be nice though. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Thoughts on Honka becoming a player in the NHL.

Is it worth it for us to take a flyer on this guy? Everyone knows we need D men.

Honka isn't any/much better than what we already have on our roster or in our system. At least not good enough I'd pay a premium for anyway. 

Goldobin/Baertschi + at most to aid our logjam up front, I think Dallas’ asking price may be too high for us at this point still. 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, aGENT said:

Still an awful lot of plastic on those 'steel' Tonka trucks...

I had one of the dump trucks 47 years ago, and that thing was 99% steel. I think the only plastic was the wheels. That thing took a beating, but lasted forever. But now they do have a lot of plastic.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Is it worth it for us to take a flyer on this guy? Everyone knows we need D men.

We need top end dmen. In terms of depth, I think we are way better off now than years past. Honka may have potential, but we may have Rathbone and Tryamkin by the end of the year who I'm more excited for anyway.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Do we though? I mean, it wouldn't hurt to have more D prospects but we have Tryamkin most likely coming back. Plus we have Woo, Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi in the system who all look like they'll be NHLers. Maybe one of Chatfield and Brisebois will turn out? So I don't think we're as bad off as some people think. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We need top end dmen. In terms of depth, I think we are way better off now than years past. Honka may have potential, but we may have Rathbone and Tryamkin by the end of the year who I'm more excited for anyway.

Maybe I should have been more specific. High end D men yes.

In terms of depth we’re fine but outside Hughes we don’t have much in terms of elite puck movers. Not saying Honka is but he might still turn out.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I had one of the dump trucks 47 years ago, and that thing was 99% steel. I think the only plastic was the wheels. That thing took a beating, but lasted forever. But now they do have a lot of plastic.

But they’re dangerous for children; they might have as much fun as we did with those.

The seat was also rugged plastics.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe I should have been more specific. High end D men yes.

In terms of depth we’re fine but outside Hughes we don’t have much in terms of elite puck movers. Not saying Honka is but he might still turn out.

Can't remember, is he passed waivers exemption?

If so, I'd only trade for him after/if he clears.

• Upvote 1