The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(OFFICIAL) Leafs sign Mitch Marner

Pears

Just now, Alflives said:

I thought it was a hard cap.  At no time can it be exceeded.  82 + 8.2 = 90.2.  How do the Leafs exceed that number by 4 million?  

I thought that was the case too, but how could you determine which players would make up the 23 man roster if the roster has not been set?  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I thought it was a hard cap.  At no time can it be exceeded.  82 + 8.2 = 90.2.  How do the Leafs exceed that number by 4 million?  

I thought you could carry up to 15% over until the end of pre-season. I might be wrong but I thought I read that a couple years ago 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

What does this mean for Boeser. 8ish?

Marner is much better at this moment then Boeser, drives the play and closes out games for his team.   

I see more similarities to Jake Guentzel (22 and 40 goals over the last two years), he's making 6 mil/year 

Timo Meier is making 6 mil/year 

Pastrnak is at 6.7 mil/year 

Sean Monahan has put up 6 consecutive excellent seasons and is at 6.7 mil/year 

I'm having trouble seeing why Boeser deserves more then 7 mil/year.  Evander Kane had a lot more leverage as a UFA, has been a proven scorer in the NHL and only got 7 mil/year.  

If we are looking at the rest of the league, Boeser should be in the 6.5 mil/year category given the fact that he's only got a two year track record in the league. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LTIR doesn’t count, from what I understand, until opening day.  

I thought guys can go on LTIR prior to that.... but I could be wrong. I guess 'cuz Leafs could be the other explanation. Calgary just resigned a guy they bought out so wha the &^@# do I know? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought guys can go on LTIR prior to that.... but I could be wrong. I guess 'cuz Leafs could be the other explanation. Calgary just resigned a guy they bought out so wha the &^@# do I know? 

The league does seem to have some (kind of) bush rules, doesn’t it?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Marner is much better at this moment then Boeser, drives the play and closes out games for his team.   

I see more similarities to Jake Guentzel (22 and 40 goals over the last two years), he's making 6 mil/year 

I'm having trouble seeing why Boeser deserves more then 7 mil/year.  Evander Kane had a lot more leverage as a UFA, has been a proven scorer in the NHL and only got 7 mil/year.  

If we are looking at the rest of the league, Boeser should be in the 6.5 mil/year category given the fact that he's only got a two year track record in the league. 

based on points per game and goals per game Brock is up there with the big boys... not sure how much the Marner deal really lowers the numbers the Canucks were working on. Still, there's room for hope now that the Mitch bs is in the books. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

If Marner is worth almost $11M over 6 years then I don't feel as confident in Boeser signing for $7M over 6 years. 6 x $7.5M might get it done. We'd probably be better off going 8 x 8 though.

Big brock fan here but that’s too much for what he has accomplished and no way JB does that.  Too old school.

Edited by riffraff

17 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This. Good post. 

• Cheers 1