Canucks Community

(OFFICIAL) Leafs sign Mitch Marner

Pears

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

bonuses cannot be bought out - so is fully guaranteed money

base salary can

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

Thanks Coastal.  That answers that. 

Safe to say that Leafs will never buy out Marner. My interpretation is that signing bonuses have different tax implications than annual salary. You get taxed based on where you claim residency. This article explains more.

https://www.nsrmedia.ca/posts/leafs-auston-matthews-shoots-and-scores-tax-savings/

Signing bonus money is also paid regardless of a lockout. I suspect the NHL closes up this loophole in the next CBA.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Marner is much better at this moment then Boeser, drives the play and closes out games for his team.   

I see more similarities to Jake Guentzel (22 and 40 goals over the last two years), he's making 6 mil/year 

Timo Meier is making 6 mil/year 

Pastrnak is at 6.7 mil/year 

Sean Monahan has put up 6 consecutive excellent seasons and is at 6.7 mil/year 

I'm having trouble seeing why Boeser deserves more then 7 mil/year.  Evander Kane had a lot more leverage as a UFA, has been a proven scorer in the NHL and only got 7 mil/year.  

If we are looking at the rest of the league, Boeser should be in the 6.5 mil/year category given the fact that he's only got a two year track record in the league. 

But you have to realize Boeser has a higher p/pg avg than all these players when they signed their contracts. P/pg at the time of signing contracts (Approximately, i added it up myself) 

Meier: 0.56

Monahan: 0.67

Guentzel: 0.67

Pastrnak: 0.72

Boeser: 0.83

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

To me, Marners deal puts Boes' right around $5.5ish on a bridge deal.

I don't really think marners contract has a bearing on BB contract.  But I agree on your 5.5. BB hasn't proven enough yet as far as I am concerned.

Would you trade 2 BB for one Mitch marners? ☺️

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I thought it was a hard cap.  At no time can it be exceeded.  82 + 8.2 = 90.2.  How do the Leafs exceed that number by 4 million?  

They can go over 10% until the season starts - then some creative fandangling happens - it’s possible we will also be over too (after Roussel of course) and need to do some of our own too

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

LTIR doesn’t count, from what I understand, until opening day.  

No this is incorrect.  LTIR can start even in the offseason...

Can LTIR be used in the off-season?

Yes, LTIR can be used in the off-season while the 10% off-season cushion is active. LTIR in the off-season is calculated using the basic equation outlined above, which permits a team to exceed the off-season salary cap. To use off-season LTIR the team must provide doctors proof that the player in question will continue to be injured at the beginning of the regular season for 10 NHL games and 24 calendar days.

At the start of the season the teams LTIR relief & ACSL is recalculated when the 10% cushion is removed.

• Thanks 2