The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who says 'no' GMJB or BB? - 8 year at $7.5 - $60 million

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

solid deal for both sides, particularly if its Marner-ish and mostly bonus cash. 

That was my opinion as well.

It's an overpay for "right now", there's definitely paying for potential/hope in staying healthy for the long term, and from a Boeser point of view it's solid cash, perhaps not the *absolute max* one could get over that term, but it's guaranteed money in the bank and if he's serious about winning as a team rather than winning individually (money wise) it allows the Canucks to continue to build well rather than go full-oilers.

I certainly wouldn't go above that line as "the Canucks" though.

• Cheers 1

I like the idea of going for max term with RFA's in general. The extra 500,000 - 1,000,000 cap hit (likely less than that but just for arguement's sake) we get short term saves us money down the line when Boeser has to re-sign at likely an even higher number. Of course, the player has to be willing to sign for 8 years, but I haven't heard anything about Boeser being against a long term deal. 

8 years at 7.5 million per year would be a great contract in my books. I was thinking about an 8 year, 7.65 million per year deal earlier today. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyCanucks12 said:

I think you can take off $250,000 AAV for each year shorter??  

7.5 @ 8 years

7.25 @ 7 years 

7 @ 6 years (reportedly rejected by Brock)

6.75 @ 5 years

6.5 @ 4 years 

6.25 @ 3 years 

6 @ 2 years

Fair numbers, just pick one.  Get this done. 

I wouldn't even put the UFA at 26/27 on the table though, that would be a mistake.

Either he's with us for the long haul, or he can haul out right now on a short deal and the kings' ransom we'd get for him.

If we're talking $7.5 million for 8 years or a $60 million contract, I'd like to see it come with some performance bonuses based on his health/scoring.

I am unsure how one would structure a deal like that but that would be optimal for me, ensuring cap space in the event of a forward Salo

Benning signs that deal in a heartbeat.  Most RFA's aren't taking an 8 year deal because of the new TV deal, expansion draft and a new CBA with a major increase in cap space all coming up.  If you can lock up one of your core guys to an 8 year deal today you do it and don't think twice.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyCanucks12 said:

Who do you think says "no" to an 8 year 60 million dollar contract (AAV 7.5) - Canucks or Boeser?  

Well if Brock said no we'd know what kind of person he is and worth it for JB to look into a trading him. I have no problem with these guys making money but greed is a whole other problem that we don't need on the Canucks even though sometimes its hard to not have a player or two who fits that mold. 8 yrs at 7.5 per is a good deal for both parties

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

Boeser imo.

Boeser could easily sign a 2 year deal tomorrow (with Jim's permission) then easily make his next contract worth $9M.  One or two good seasons with Pettersson and he would be worth a fortune. This is a tricky contract situation for Jim.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

Boeser could easily sign a 2 year deal tomorrow (with Jim's permission) then easily make his next contract worth $9M.  One or two good seasons with Pettersson and he would be worth a fortune. This is a tricky contract situation for Jim.

Princess Double Flamingo got 7 million.  Bess is a much better player, obviously.  Yet Jump out of the way Baby ?Boy is clearly overpaid.  That tells me Bess is worth 6.5.  Just because Dumbass is a moron doesn’t me JB should do the same.  The Loser Leafs are so screwed, it’s FRIGGIN’ funny!  

Boeser says no probably, which is unfortunate.

I think Boeser knows how skilled he is, and a majority of people are either underestimating him or have completely forgotten that he was named All-Star MVP and very nearly won the Calder trophy. This may be due, in part, to the eclipsing of his rookie hype by Mr. Petey's stellar Calder season, but before he came along, Brock (and Bo) were considered our saviors, untouchable core pieces, and I think this is obviously still true.

Boeser knows he is just starting out in his career, but he also knows that the ceiling on his potential is sky-high, and that is likely the reason he hasn't signed yet. The ol' badger GMJB is trying to wring out the best deal for the long run, but he knows he's going to have to pay up and as a result he'll potentially have to move out a player he'd prefer to keep in the future.

I think Boeser would be satisfied with 8x8, but a lot of fans here are saying he should get no more than 7 - which to me is almost borderline ridiculous considering his pure snipeyness. But hey, that's just me, and I may have a small degree of bias considering he's one of my favorite Canucks in a long time.

I think that 7 million is the BARE MINIMUM price that you're gonna get Boeser for and I think it'd be worth every penny. So just throw him 8 and jettison a Schaller or even a Baertschi (or 1/6th of an Eriksson) and let's get a deal done, pronto!

Edited by BrockBoester

This is Tarasenko’s deal - with the exception you’d have to add a NMC for each of the UFA years (last three).   In the Spring I suggested we sign BB to the same deal and got lambasted by many CDCers - felt it was way too much - funny how a few months later how many have changed their tune.   It’s a smart deal for the Canucks and a fair one for BB - although now I think you’d have to add .5-1 million to get it done.

BB final contract won’t be as lucrative as if we signed him for six years at the same money (which at this point I think is what we are looking at 7.5-8 x 6) if it’s going to be long term, but it will still be pretty good (his first UFA deal). 

Best scene for the team is a full term deal at something like this, or a 1 or 3 year show me deal - but I think this could back-fire and we’d be back doing the same thing way too soon.

When guys like Spurgeon are making huge bucks right until they are 36-37 still, BB should be pretty confident another contract will be there for him at 29-30 (asssuming he’s still good then no reason to think he won’t be), can’t see why they couldn’t  agree to a long term deal , just have to find the magic number that both sides are willing to compromise too.

Edited by IBatch