The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] (Bos) McAvoy 3yr 4.9m per

86Viking

As I've said before... Give or take a bit...

8 years = $7.25-$7.5, 7 years= $7, 6 years = $6.5, 5 years = $6 and 4 years = $5.5 +/-

Pack your crap and get to camp Brock. Oh, and find a new agent.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

As I've said before... Give or take a bit...

8 years = $7.25-$7.5, 7 years= $7, 6 years = $6.5, 5 years = $6 and 4 years = $5.5 +/-

Pack your crap and get to camp Brock. Oh, and find a new agent.

yeah my spidey sense tells me this is the problem. By waiting, he's allowed some reasonable deals to come out like this one and lose leverage. Dum dum. 

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

As in $5.5Mx3?

Well 5.5 is more than 5 so maybe

I don't see how Keller gets 7 and not Brock. Forwards always get paid more than defensemen. I have no clue why people are comparing this for Brock. He will get more like 6.5-7.5.

Edited by Baer.
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

5.5m short term is paying up for Brock imo, not by much but it is by a bit. He doesn't have much leverage imo. With our additions this summer we could start the year without him and would still be a better team. All the rfa's have proven more than Brock, Laine is his closest 1 dimensional compareable and he has a 40 plus goal season and 2 - 30 or more G seasons under his belt. Brock hasn't achieved any of that, sure you can pro-rate his stats over a full 82 game season, but that shouldn't be how you give any player a contract. He needs to prove he can be healthy all season and then produce at a higher level.

I think the state of the team does give him a bit more leverage than he would otherwise have. Being a borderline wildcard team where the removal of one significant player for a decent amount of time could be the difference between making the playoffs or finish on the outside looking in. If we were a top rung team that would likely make it either way or a cellar dweller that wasn't going to make it regardless things might be a little different.

Although, I would also say that's somewhat counteracted by the fact that Benning now has a new contract, so his job isn't on the line like it would have been a month ago. 

Regardless, it's good news that players comparable in quality to Boeser are signing for less. Just goes to show that the market does work.

8 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I don't see how Keller gets 7 and not Brock. Forwards always get paid more than defensemen. I have no clue why people are comparing this for Brock. He will get more like 6.5-7.5.

Keller took a lucrative life changing guaranteed long term contract. Brock may have had a similar offer from the Canucks in July of 2018 and he chose to bet on himself being healthy all year and scoring 40g to cash in big this summer, that didn't happen though.

I think Keller was smart, he took a great contract offer and signed it. All it takes is 1 injury to potentially screw up or even end your career. Arizona seems to be trying to keep guys and get more competitive. They signed OEL who I thought they would deal, traded for Kessel and now signed Keller long term. Doubt they will ever be a power house but they are trying to be competitive and with the Keller signing they may be paying up big now for him but they hope he can get better and will produce more offensively going forward.

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think the state of the team does give him a bit more leverage than he would otherwise have. Being a borderline wildcard team where the removal of one significant player for a decent amount of time could be the difference between making the playoffs or finish on the outside looking in. If we were a top rung team that would likely make it either way or a cellar dweller that wasn't going to make it regardless things might be a little different.

Although, I would also say that's somewhat counteracted by the fact that Benning now has a new contract, so his job isn't on the line like it would have been a month ago. 

Regardless, it's good news that players comparable in quality to Boeser are signing for less. Just goes to show that the market does work.

If this was training camp of 2020 and we missed the playoffs the year before and we HAD to give TB our 1st rounder I would agree moer with your opening line. But as of now we have a year before that becomes a bigger issue 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

If this was training camp of 2020 and we missed the playoffs the year before and we HAD to give TB our 1st rounder I would agree moer with your opening line. But as of now we have a year before that becomes a bigger issue 

Sure, that would make it more of an issue, but I think being a borderline team that hasn't made the playoffs in quite a while does play into the Boeser camp's hands somewhat, although he certainly has less leverage than he did with signings like this coming down. 

Smart deal for McAvoy. Also interesting to note that this tier of RFA doesn't have any timeline at all. I doubt any of the players want this drawn out over months though after seeing what it did to Nylander's season. Gives Boston 3 years of a very favorable cap hit, and the term isn't so long that McAvoy is leaving a ton of money on the table. If I am Boeser I am looking for a 3 year deal too. Yeah, you'll still be an RFA but as we see now RFA's have a lot more power than they used to. Leave some money on the table for the next 3 years, cash in big for your prime years after.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Value to the team for one. Is Brock more valuable to us than McAvoy is to Boston? I'd probably have to say no.

Same RFA group 10.2(c) with no leverage other than holding out.

Similar circumstances in debating long vs short term deal. 

35 minutes ago, Baer. said:

A couple of reasons why Keller got what he got.  

1. He signed long term.  An 8 year deal which includes 3 UFA years at the end.  
  2. Keller is a centre
  3. Keller's production is fair for a developing 2C but he hasn't shown that he deserves the money.  A bridge deal was appropriate imo.  Having said that, by 2027-28 $7.15 will seem like chump change.

Goals = $ but top 4 D get paid more than forwards in general.

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

A couple of reasons why Keller got what he got.  

1. He signed long term.  An 8 year deal which includes 3 UFA years at the end.  
  2. Keller is a centre
  3. Keller's production is fair for a developing 2C but he hasn't shown that he deserves the money.  A bridge deal was appropriate imo.  Having said that, by 2027-28 $7.15 will seem like chump change.

Goals = $ but top 4 D get paid more than forwards in general.

Top four D haven’t cashed in yet so far was RFAs like forwards have - except for Provorov.   Werenski, Provorov and McAvoy are all top pairing D - don’t see them making 8.5-11.5 million like AHO, Marner etc  so far not even as much as Nylander.   I agree goal scoring matters, which is why Meir got a ridiculous bridge (his QO being the ridiculous part).   No way is BB more valuable then McAvoy or Werenski - but he will get more in a bridge then both of them and Meir too.  I agree with Keller though - and don’t see that been so bad for their team either, maybe as soon as this year even playing with Kessel he could get over a PPG which would end up costing them more if they waited until the end of the season instead - proactive by Chakya for sure. 

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

These deals are insanely cheap. Bridge-ish deals, but 3 years instead of 1 or 2.

Very nice structure for the Bruins,.

CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) Tweeted:
Charlie McAvoy #Bruins
3 years, $4.9M AAV

Confirmed Contract Breakdown:
2019-20: $1.2M base salary, $2.5M signing bonus
2020-21: $2.7M base salary, $1M signing bonus
2021-22: $7.3M base salary

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Ok, I think it is time for Boeser’s agent to man up and admit he screwed up “if” he turned down a $7 million x 6 year deal and demand a $7 million x4.

Boeser is great, but if you wanted to give me Macavoy or Provorov for him, I take that.

I think they played chicken and Boston McAvoy three a wrench into their plan

• Upvote 1