The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ric Ocasek lead singer of 'The Cars' dies at 75.

nuckin_futz

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That album INSTANTLY takes me back to a place and time.  Faces from the past pop into my head.  We used to throw big parties...my friend had an amazing stereo with massive speakers, a pool table and a swimming pool.  We were set.  And every song on this album puts me right back there.  Thanks for the music, Ric...it was fantastic and you will be missed.  

Moving In Stereo was trippy and one of my favourites.

Side 2 really grew on me as the 80's rolled past.

I seem to remember Playland/PNE using "Good Times Roll" in a promotional way(was it summer of '79?), when the tune was new & fresh. Is this my memory playing tricks, because bands were quite reluctant then to use their hits/lyrics in such commercial ways?

It was so cool how people connected through music back then.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That album INSTANTLY takes me back to a place and time.  Faces from the past pop into my head.  We used to throw big parties...my friend had an amazing stereo with massive speakers, a pool table and a swimming pool.  We were set.  And every song on this album puts me right back there.  Thanks for the music, Ric...it was fantastic and you will be missed.  

Just look at this track listing. It's absolutely goofy how good that record was...........

1. "Good Times Roll"    
2. "My Best Friend's Girl"    
3. "Just What I Needed"    
4. "I'm in Touch with Your World"    
5. "Don't Cha Stop"    

6. "You're All I've Got Tonight"    
7. "Bye Bye Love"    
8. "Moving in Stereo"    

"All Mixed Up"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Me too, Nux (re side two).  Ha, as soon as I posted You're All I've Got Tonight started playing in my head.  

We 100% connected through music.  As I grew up as a teenager it was:  Beatles White Album, Stones (Mostly Sticky Fingers), Zappa, Cars, Bowie (Ziggy Stardust), Zeppelin (Everything), Pink Floyd (same), etc. then some other Canadian stuff...Max Webster, Goddo.  Music was EVERYTHING.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Just look at this track listing. It's absolutely goofy how good that record was...........

1. "Good Times Roll"    
3. "Just What I Needed"    
5. "Don't Cha Stop"    

7. "Bye Bye Love"    
8. "Moving in Stereo"    

"All Mixed Up"

Funny how that was one of those albums (there were many back then) that you could put on, start to finish and it was ALL GOOD.  Just one song after another....kept getting better.

Is this the right time to say "they don't make 'em like that anymore?".   

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That album INSTANTLY takes me back to a place and time.  Faces from the past pop into my head.  We used to throw big parties...my friend Steve had an amazing stereo with massive speakers, a pool table and a swimming pool.  We were set.  And every song on this album puts me right back there.  Thanks for the music, Ric...it was fantastic and you will be missed.  

One of the greatest debut albums ever! One album that you play both sides and every song is fantastic :)

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

1. "Good Times Roll"    
3. "Just What I Needed"    
5. "Don't Cha Stop"    

7. "Bye Bye Love"    
8. "Moving in Stereo"    

"All Mixed Up"

Absolutely a great classic :) An album to kick Disco to the curb and back to rock music!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Candy-O had a few cool tracks too, but that first album was a Monster to follow up...

"Let's Go" "It's All I Can Do" and "Dangerous Type" were my faves off that one.

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Funny how that was one of those albums (there were many back then) that you could put on, start to finish and it was ALL GOOD.  Just one song after another....kept getting better.

Is this the right time to say "they don't make 'em like that anymore?".   

That album was all killer no filler.

Sadly, I think you're right that they don't make them like that anymore. A song like "Moving in Stereo" would be considered a deep cut. Nowadays most people just buy the one or 2 songs they have heard off Itunes and that's it. You never hear the deep cuts. It's a shame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sadly, I think you're right that they don't make them like that anymore. A song like "Moving in Stereo" would be considered a deep cut. Nowadays most people just buy the one or 2 songs they have heard off Itunes and that's it. You never hear the deep cuts. It's a shame.

I think Fast Times At Ridgemont H gave that tune a lil' 80's boost too. Cameron Crowe(Almost Famous was based on his story) picked some great 70's tunes for that iconic flick.

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

And Moving in Stereo faded right into All Mixed Up, with no gap between songs.  That's something else you can't get today without having whole albums, as opposed to buying just the individual songs.

• Upvote 1