The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Travis Konecny

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

While this could definitely also be considered a knock against Boeser, you have to factor in that he hasn't played a full season yet while Konecny has played 81 and 82 games in the last two years. Knonecny looks like someone who could be a 30 goal guy with a bit of maturing while Boeser looks like he can be a 40 goal guy now with a healthy, full 82 game season. Boeser is worth, and will get, more.

not playing a full season yet is a knock against BB and is something that they are using a metric to come up with a contract number.  I think the cap hit will be similar, but BB's term will be shorter.

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

not playing a full season yet is a knock against BB and is something that they are using a metric to come up with a contract number.  I think the cap hit will be similar, but BB's term will be shorter.

I just don't believe that's as much leverage against Boeser as you think it is. 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Even at that, Brock puts up a lot more points than Konecny. 

Salaries are getting way too high for these kids...I mean, Konecny getting the same contract as Horvat?  Ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed but his AAV won't be $5.5 million regardless of the term...

Why not exactly?

Konecny who's about 95% as good of a scorer and arguably a more of a complete player just signed for that $ at 6 year term. You're in his thread.

If the media's right, we're looking at a 3-4 year term for Boeser there's zero reason it can't be a perfectly reasonable $$.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Salaries are getting way too high for these kids...I mean, Konecny getting the same contract as Horvat?  Ridiculous.

'A lot'?

Mid 50's vs high 40's.... not that big of a difference.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I agree completely

he had 8 less points two years ago, 7 less points last year.  He's as comparable as it gets, imo.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Why not exactly?

Konecny who's about 95% as good of a scorer and arguably a more of a complete player just signed for that $ at 6 year term. You're in his thread.

If the media's right, we're looking at a 3-4 year term for Boeser there's zero reason it can't be a perfectly reasonable $$.

BB won't be signing for $5.5 on a long term deal like TK, but he will on a short term deal he will, imo.  I don't think neither the team nor BB wants a long term deal at this point.

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Agreed but his AAV won't be $5.5 million regardless of the term...

And? If he wants a deal that walks him right to UFA, he’s not going to get that max dollar he’s looking for.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking it might be because none of the other RFAs have a father who's gravely ill.

And that is why he hasnt signed ? What does that have to do with his contract? If that was the issue , the Canucks would no doubt make that public . The public already knows this,  so using contract negotiations as a smoke screen is not the case . If anything , that would take all the media pressure off . How do u figure that has anything to do with it ?

Edited by cuporbust

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's not signing at $5.5 million no matter what the term...

That isn't necessarily true.  We have seen MacAvoy and Werenski as top end young D signing for shorter deals at low AAV.  The 1-3 year deal number for Boeser should definitely be well under $6 million and even under $5.5

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1