The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Travis Konecny

People are saying Boeser is that much better than Konecny.  Not according to the stats.  Konecny plays full seasons, less ATOI, Less PP opportunity, more physical and less favorable deployment - Ozone vs Dzone deployment. 

People saying Brock is worth $7.5 - $8.0 Million over 6 years are not looking at what Brock has yet to prove - IMO - to earn that much money as a young RFA with favorable deployment and some history being injured on a consistent basis (NHL and College) -  I am not saying injury prone.

I think this is a very reasonable and realistic comparison.  

Konecny: 1st round pick #24

image.thumb.png.04b1dac00fe32de9dea7e7b1e8daf161.png

image.thumb.png.9180c94569978ef990668370212012f5.png

Boeser: 1st round pick #23

image.thumb.png.c24d63fa8ebd3d899464513711b93595.png

image.thumb.png.27cedf5a6e146ef3f69380ff9f702795.png

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Who would have thought Boeser would hold out longer then most of the other RFA's. Not impressed if he really has been turning down good offers as has been reported.  I hate greedy players . Seriously , the kid is going to be a multi millionaire in his early 20's , retire before the age of 40 and have enough to retire most of his family to boot no matter what. After a certain point , u really need to demand more term or money? I mean seriously,  leave some money on the table to help ur team , shutup and play the damn game . 

This kid's father is literally dying before his very eyes and all you can think of is 'sign this paper and get here so you can entertain me'.

No wonder our fan-base has such a crap reputation around the league. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

That isn't necessarily true.  We have seen MacAvoy and Werenski as top end young D signing for shorter deals at low AAV.  The 1-3 year deal number for Boeser should definitely be well under $6 million and even under $5.5

He's not signing at $5.5 million.  If he was going to do that the deal would have already been done as Benning would have taken that in a heartbeat.  The reason why the deal isn't done yet is because that deal is not acceptable to Brock.  The 4 year $7 million per year deal is probably what Brock is looking for and why there is currently no deal.  

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Why not exactly?

Konecny who's about 95% as good of a scorer and arguably a more of a complete player just signed for that $ at 6 year term. You're in his thread.

If the media's right, we're looking at a 3-4 year term for Boeser there's zero reason it can't be a perfectly reasonable $$.

Your valuation of Konecny is too high.  At peak performance Boeser can be a 40 goal scorer, which he was on pace for in his rookie season until he got injured.  He's also not a liability defensively so his value is higher than Konecny.  If Konecny is $5.5 million than Boeser will be at $6 million+ on a short term deal.  That's the hold up right now.  I don't think Boeser is looking for a long term deal at this point as he still has a lot of upside that hasn't been reached yet.  

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorta? A guy who will be PHis 3C, maybe future 2C,  vs a top 6 RW coming off his ELC.... very different jobs and expectations. 

Centers garner more typically - so if Konceny is potentially a top six center and potentially Boeser is a top six winger who is worth more?. 

Based on performance and factoring in durability it is comparable and Koncecny hasn't received the same opportunities as Boeser.   

I don't think Boeser has proven he is worth "a lot" more - yet.  I agree the potential is there.

Edited by Borvat

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Centers garner more typically - so if Konceny is potentially a top six center and potentially Boeser is a top six winger who is worth more?. 

Based on performance and factoring in durability it is comparable and Koncecny hasn't received the same opportunities as Boeser.   

I don't think Boeser has proven he is worth "a lot" more - yet.  I agree the potential is there.

I agree with the last part. Just don't quite see this deal as any sort of comparison either way really, they are such differently players/roles. 

8 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Konecny spends a lot of his time on the wing if I’m not mistaken. 

I see Brock as more of a Laine-light without the weirdness. Similar kind of trigger man, PP guy, with some work to do defensively, So something in the 7-7.5 mil x 6 years would be ideal imo but who knows what Brocks agent is thinking. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree with the last part. Just don't quite see this deal as any sort of comparison either way really, they are such differently players/roles. 

They play almost the same role. Top line right winger that struggles defensively. Zero pk time. 

Boeser is better/used more on the powerplay and, thus, gets more goals/points. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

They play almost the same role. Top line right winger that struggles defensively. Zero pk time. 

Boeser is better/used more on the powerplay and, thus, gets more goals/points. 

my mistake - I thought he was supposed to be the next 3C there - but checking the stats he doesn't take face offs! 

So maybe this isn't so far off after all then. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree with the bolded part and it actually favors Konecny somewhat in my opinion as he can play center, can be deployed more defensively and is more physical. 

Time will tell.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your valuation of Konecny is too high.  At peak performance Boeser can be a 40 goal scorer, which he was on pace for in his rookie season until he got injured.  He's also not a liability defensively so his value is higher than Konecny.  If Konecny is $5.5 million than Boeser will be at $6 million+ on a short term deal.  That's the hold up right now.  I don't think Boeser is looking for a long term deal at this point as he still has a lot of upside that hasn't been reached yet.  

My valuation is just fine. Boeser will and should get slightly more than TC but let's not try to pretend they're night and day.

I don't care what Boeser 'can' be. What he his is, is an 'on pace' 30 goal RFA with injury issues. He's not going to get $6m+ on a short term, 3 year deal. He might get around there on a 4 year one.

He' 'should' IMO, be signing a 6 year deal for between $6.5 and $7.

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I agree with the bolded part and it actually favors Konecny somewhat in my opinion as he can play center, can be deployed more defensively and is more physical. 

Time will tell.

I have a feeling many people here are just making up the two way thing on Konecny as a way to bring Boeser down. That isn't his reputation. He struggles defensively, gets benched near the end of games when Philly is up a goal or two, doesn't pk, doesn't take faceoffs, plays RW.