The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flyers re-sign Travis Konecny

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

I have a feeling many people here are just making up the two way thing on Konecny as a way to bring Boeser down. That isn't his reputation. He struggles defensively, gets benched near the end of games when Philly is up a goal or two, doesn't pk, doesn't take faceoffs, plays RW. 

I just plead ignorance. I thought he played more of a C role. 

Guys, look at the goal scoring rate per game in the last two years in the nhl and look up boeser on that list. Then look up how much the other guys get paid. Also look like how many centers get the amount of points per game that konecny get. They aren't even close. 

For those who say they are close, think about it this way. Would you trade boeser for konecny and a 1st? I sure wouldn't, guys who can score 40 goals in a year in the NHL I can count on two hands. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My valuation is just fine. Boeser will and should get slightly more than TC but let's not try to pretend they're night and day.

I don't care what Boeser 'can' be. What he his is, is an 'on pace' 30 goal RFA with injury issues. He's not going to get $6m+ on a short term, 3 year deal. He might get around there on a 4 year one.

He' 'should' IMO, be signing a 6 year deal for between $6.5 and $7.

Konecny is a one way 5'10" winger with no bite and no defensive game to speak of.  Can't hit even 25 goals playing on a top line in a full 82 game season.  But your comparing him to a guy who was runner up to the Calder, hit 29 goals in only 62 games, is a bigger player and has a much better shot.

Sorry but Konecny is not comparable to Boeser and you're dreaming if you think Boeser is going to sign at $5.5 million on a 3 year deal...

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I have a feeling many people here are just making up the two way thing on Konecny as a way to bring Boeser down. That isn't his reputation. He struggles defensively, gets benched near the end of games when Philly is up a goal or two, doesn't pk, doesn't take faceoffs, plays RW. 

More that he gets less favourable ozone starts and while he might not be a 'Bergeron' type out there at the end of a game protecting leads, he play a less offensive, sheltered role than Brock has and plays a 'feistier', more attacking style doing so. Brock's bigger and scores 'more' (and scoring does get paid more) but arguably has both less dimension and grit to his game.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Konecny is a one way 5'10" winger with no bite and no defensive game to speak of.  Can't hit even 25 goals playing on a top line in a full 82 game season.  But your comparing him to a guy who was runner up to the Calder, hit 29 goals in only 62 games, is a bigger player and has a much better shot.

Sorry but Konecny is not comparable to Boeser and you're dreaming if you think Boeser is going to sign at $5.5 million on a 3 year deal...

Konecny has more bite than Boeser.

I'd say they are comparable as Boeser has many of the same deficiencies and they play similar roles.

Boeser is better but they are close enough to be good comparables.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hits last year - Boeser 14 / Konecny 65

Ozone vs Dzone starts last year  - Boeser 70% Ozone / Konecny 50% Ozone

ATOI per game - Boeser 19:10 / Konecny 15:16

Can Boeser score more goals yes.  But to say Konceny has no bite and no defensive game compared to Boeser is not true.  Boeser also receives more favorable deployment.

I like Boeser but he hasn't scored 40 goals or played a full season.  

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Less ozone starts than Boeser and plays a grittier game than Boeser does (despite Boeser having more size). 

Brock does score 'more' (at least PG...when he hasn't been injured). Nobody's arguing that and that's why he'll get paid more. But it's not going to be at the figures you're talking about.

You're dreaming if you think the Canucks will be paying him much more than that.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, PlanB said:

This kid's father is literally dying before his very eyes and all you can think of is 'sign this paper and get here so you can entertain me'.

No wonder our fan-base has such a crap reputation around the league. 

I've known a lot of hockey dads in my days and not one of them would want their kids to miss a rep tryout on his behalf, let alone an NHL camp.  I get it's a tough time for the family, but I don't see it as a factor, at all.

It's the tiime, of the signing

For that Brock-star guy

'Fore this time, trollin' is so easy

But this guy

Has treasured hands

To take us in the sun to

Promised Land

To shut down trollin' ones

It's the tiiiiime, of the season

For signnnn-ingggggg

Hey you 'Lames

Who's yer Daddy?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

so why does do half his starts come in the defensive zone?  

53 minutes ago, PlanB said:

This kid's father is literally dying before his very eyes and all you can think of is 'sign this paper and get here so you can entertain me'.

No wonder our fan-base has such a crap reputation around the league. 

If that truly were the impetus and not $, term etc than the contract would be signed and Brock granted a leave of absence.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Less ozone starts than Boeser and plays a grittier game than Boeser does (despite Boeser having more size). 

Brock does score 'more' (at least PG...when he hasn't been injured). Nobody's arguing that and that's why he'll get paid more. But it's not going to be at the figures you're talking about.

You're dreaming if you think the Canucks will be paying him much more than that.

I guess we are both dreaming then my friend...  :)

Just now, aGENT said:

If that truly were the impetus and not $, term etc than the contract would be signed and Brock granted a leave of absence.

exactly right.  There's a reason why JB signed Goldy when he did.........he knew Boeser was not going to be at camp and likely not there to start the season.  If he's not seriously burning up the phone lines looking for deals I would be shocked.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've known a lot of hockey dads in my days and not one of them would want their kids to miss a rep tryout on his behalf, let alone an NHL camp.  I get it's a tough time for the family, but I don't see it as a factor, at all.

ever think it might be  up to the kid that doesn't mind missing preseason to be with his dad  who may not make too much longer ,  these are human beings as well as hockey players  ya know

• Like 1