The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Can We All Agree That The Offseason Was a Smashing Success for JB

Rate this topic

coastal.view

I like the miller trade Fergland signing and elder signing.  Love the Pod draft pick.  He's a 3rd line winger at worst with good chance of being a timo meier type top 6 winger. 

Myers signing is OK he's overpaid by a mill. Boeser signing same. Should have been 7 or 8 years. Boes got market value but only 3 yrs.  JB needed to get him signed long term to balance out the aav. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Don't forget...

Everyone here thought 2018 was a smashing success - until it wasn't.

And everyone here thought the 2017 signings were a smashing success - until they weren't.

And 2016, well let's not even mention 2016...

I think that last year nobody was talking playoffs because we picked up Roussel and Beagle - BUT many of us including me like that it added size and chippy to the line-up - so far aside from Beagle missing games this wasn’t a bad summer.   Before that personally I didn’t think it mattered much what JB was doing we were going to suffer until the Sedins retired AND we had guys that could replace the old core...some people’s expectations of a rebuild and how long it should take are pretty out there.  Five-six players make a core, maybe one can be a UFA or if your lucky you have assets to trade for something that’s drafted and ready to go, the rest are usually comprised of high first rounders.   Four years minimum, six or seven likely to change cores.   Then at some point you have to get back into the playoffs.   If we miss this year that’s ok - we keep our pick .... it will be close either way because our rebuild is almost done.   

All those signings from before mattered little other then that we could still be bad enough to collect top ten first rounders.  We didn’t have anyone left from the old core and got very little in return from what we could trade to boost the process (Horvat and Sutter and Markstrom) - from the Sedins, Kesler,Burrows Schneider, Luongo, Hamhuis, Erhoff,Hansen etc etc)....

I get what your saying, but JT Miller is only 26 and likely hasn’t peaked - Myers shouldn’t be too bad as we aren’t putting him into the same situation we put LE in (playing him with patsies on the third pairing 14mins a game) and well he isn’t LE...plus other then LE and maybe Gagne his singing have all done reasonably well.   Ferland and Benn were bargains (Myers a little too), all these guys signed for considerably less then they were excepted to get.  That’s a GMJB first from where I’m sitting - nice to have a team players want to join, instead of having to be the highest bidder.

8 hours ago, goalie13 said:

It would have been a perfect summer if he had managed to find some sucker to take on LE and his contract.

Season hasn't started yet.  

Was thinking last night about this.  Who does LE beat out of the top 9 wingers.

Brock... nope

Baer .... nope

Miller .... nope

Ferland ... nope

Pearson.... unlikely to nope. 

Virtanen unlikely to nope

Goldy.  Personally I keep him as an extra player vs LE. 

Sutter can play wing and does well at it. 

Gaudette is better, younger and plays center.  He is waiver protected, so he could go without a loss.  

That's 9 guys over LE. 

Could LE fit into our 4th line?  

I don't see it. 

Motte is better, Lievo is better, Rousell is injured, but better.  McEwan is earning a shot and better for a 4th line roll. 

Schaller, LE could beat Schaller out for a 4th line spot.  That's it.  That's what LE has become. 

No one is trading for this guy unless we retain max cap and throw in Gaudette.  I say screw that deal.. 

My money is on LE being waived.  Maybe he can get loaned to a Euro club.  Chicago pulled that off.  It may be the quiet solution that nullifies the Luongo deal.  

Beyond that, who does LE beat off our roster.  Maybe he squeaks into a 4th line roll.  That's purely on merit.  Do you send down a younger player with forcastable growth vs a declining vet that is declining hard, solely on contract status? 

LE is waived, he can collect his cheque and ride a bus and live in Utica.  I don't think he will report.  This golden ticket could end up being bad for him too. 

Waiting for the press conference with him saying his contract sucks.  

Unless he can be loaned out, IMO he will be sent down and quit.  Then he either gets a resigned a redeemer deal by another team or goes back to Europe.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Myers turned down a reported 7M offer to sign in Vancouver for 6M. So that means Benning signed him for 1M less and 2-3 less years than market value.... Because his market value was 7x6-7.

Gardiners market value was thought to be 8M but as it turned out the market set the value around 4-4.2M and he took one of those offers, because that's what the market decided, because obviously there was not much demand.

As for the Boeser comment. You're wrong, so wrong, laughably wrong. I agree with you that Boeser was signed at market value. I guessed a bit back that he would get 5.5-6x3. It made sense for him, it made sense for the Canucks. It was a no brainer, that nobody really saw. But Benning did, and was the man to ink the contract. He has handled Brock like a gentleman and a friend. He burned 1 year off his ELC to get him some money to help his family. He then let him stay with his family for as long as possible while not bothering him with negotiations. He then, within weeks, negotiates a really balanced contract that benefits all, even Loui Eriksson. xD So I don't really understand where Benning went wrong here?

The 3 years is really key, because it gives Brock arbitration rights, a very high QO that not many teams could afford to offer sheet. It is also after the new TV deal, AND the Seattle expansion where the cap goes up significantly. So not only will Brock get paid way more than if he signed long term now,  Benning will have more cap space to sign him. Especially considering Eriksson, and Sutter will be off the books. The year after, I believe Luongo is off... Bennings a f***ing genius.

Prediction for 2022. Boeser signs for 11.5Mx8

Good post.   I predict he signs for 8.5-9 x 8 ...would like to add Benn was considered one of the top five UFA bargains this year too.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

Season hasn't started yet.  

Was thinking last night about this.  Who does LE beat out of the top 9 wingers.

Brock... nope

Baer .... nope

Miller .... nope

Ferland ... nope

Pearson.... unlikely to nope. 

Virtanen unlikely to nope

Goldy.  Personally I keep him as an extra player vs LE. 

Sutter can play wing and does well at it. 

Gaudette is better, younger and plays center.  He is waiver protected, so he could go without a loss.  

That's 9 guys over LE. 

Could LE fit into our 4th line?  

I don't see it. 

Motte is better, Lievo is better, Rousell is injured, but better.  McEwan is earning a shot and better for a 4th line roll. 

Schaller, LE could beat Schaller out for a 4th line spot.  That's it.  That's what LE has become. 

No one is trading for this guy unless we retain max cap and throw in Gaudette.  I say screw that deal.. 

My money is on LE being waived.  Maybe he can get loaned to a Euro club.  Chicago pulled that off.  It may be the quiet solution that nullifies the Luongo deal.  

Beyond that, who does LE beat off our roster.  Maybe he squeaks into a 4th line roll.  That's purely on merit.  Do you send down a younger player with forcastable growth vs a declining vet that is declining hard.  

LE is waived, he can collect his cheque and ride a bus and live in Utica.  I don't think he will report.  This golden ticket could end up being bad for him too. 

Waiting for the press conference with him saying his contract sucks.  

Unless he can be loaned out, IMO he will be sent down and quit.  Then he either gets a resigned a redeemer deal by another team or goes back to Europe.  

LE has PK value, and value in that he can move up and down the lineup when injuries occur without hurting the team.   As far as his production goes all things being equal he produced just as well as Goldobin when given the same assignments - and better then AG, Leivo, Motte, Beagle, Sutter and Pearson last year.    I don’t know where he fits in either (3-4 line) but don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion he’s waived yet.  That said it’s really up to him now - if I was him I’d be playing my heart out as guys are definitely nipping at his tail.  

• Cheers 1

And a couple of the more dedicated haters chime in, not worried about the fact that even their fellow haters have given up on hating Edler and JB after it becomes clear that they are both very valuable to the team:

10 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think it was a great offseason. Once we’re Louis and Edler Free, we’ll be a force.

8 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Don't forget...

Everyone here thought 2018 was a smashing success - until it wasn't.

And everyone here thought the 2017 signings were a smashing success - until they weren't.

And 2016, well let's not even mention 2016...

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

LE has PK value, and value in that he can move up and down the lineup when injuries occur without hurting the team.   As far as his production goes all things being equal he produced just as well as Goldobin when given the same assignments - and better then AG, Leivo, Motte, Beagle, Sutter and Pearson last year.    I don’t know where he fits in either (3-4 line) but don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion he’s waived yet.  That said it’s really up to him now - if I was him I’d be playing my heart out as guys are definitely nipping at his tail.  

I dont know how he produced better than Pearson when he had 9 goals in 19gp and loui had 11 in 81 gp. But I get your point he was 5th highest scoring forward on the team last year. Mostly because he played more games then the others.

Edited by Jtutino

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Anything less than playing his heart out is a red flag to me.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

I won't argue with that.

I think the Edler deal, to start, was an excellent deal, particularly the two year term.

Not everyone liked (to put it mildly) the JT Miller deal, but I really like the player, the fit and am comfortable with the price.  You simply can't get young guys entering their prime, signed to those terms without giving up reasonable asset value.

The Myers, Benn, and Ferland signings, imo were all excellent values, excellent fits and good risks - all of them well below projected UFA market values.  Very opportune, timely signings by the organization.

Hard not to like the Motte, Leivo and Goldobin deals - all very reasonable/affordable depth deals.

The draft - hard not to be thrilled with Podkolzin and Hoglander.

And an excellent bridge deal for Boeser.

I couldn't care less how the eastern Leaf fluffer media represent that body of work - as a fan of this team I got pretty much everything - and exactly - what I wanted.  If it doesn't work out, I have no complaints (and no grounds to).

Having said that - success is measured after the puck drops.

At the same time, the time to take an honest position is when it happens - before the results - the rest is nothing but hindsighting.

+1 for using the word "opportune" in a post.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

The start of the season, the cheerleaders are planning parades, the doom and gloom fans are planning the tank and the realists are waiting to see.

The off season moves can have good and bad aspects depending upon how far in the future fans look.

Optimists are crowing about being in the playoff picture through the first 30 games,

Optimists have Miller scoring oodles of goals and being Semenko for Gretzky and Kurri, Boeser and Pettersson.

Optimists have all the players having career years

Optimists have no injuries or every AHL call ups being as good a the injured player.

Optimists have all the other teams losing or at least not winning or getting worse or just don't exist.

Pessimists are just down on every thing, ready to blame any player as a total loser and every deal as a bomb without consideration.

Realists see that all teams start the season in 1rst place

All teams are close to the playoff picture for the first 30 days

Realize that while players traded for are not dogs, the cost may have very high costs in the future

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1